Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 812-
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SunCom

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst View Post
A sync via BT is not possible.
That's really disappointing. I can't bluetooth with my new blackberry (I could with my dinosaur Nokia 6230) for syncing. Does RIM datamine for ideas here? Looking on their website, there appears to be no way to suggest new features for their software.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #82
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdmguy@optonline.net View Post
Thank you for posting this.
You did however forget the option of Missing Snyc for Mac/BB

This will allow you to still use your mac apps such as Address book, iCal
Best,
I'm glad to see this post. I went on Versiontracker.com last night, having just brought home my first Blackberry. PocketMac is roundly canned, but I figured since I was new to all this, I'd try it out anyway. Couldn't connect or communicate with the BB 8120 over USB at all. Three hours of trying various things (from a Powerbook G4/867 running Leopard), and I bagged that pile of waste.

Downloaded Missing Sync and it immediately sync'd my Address Book and iCal without argument. Once I get a microSD card, I'll see what it can do with photos and tunes.

The sync was painless. Except for the USB cord.

I come from a Nokia background. There is so much left wanting in this Blackberry, I'm very confused as to what the hype is about. My old Nokia could use iSync and bluetooth to the same laptop in Leopard. I could access the SD card images and music files without issue. I could use the phone as a bluetooth modem with this same laptop over AT&T's network in a pinch. Heck, I could use the WAP web browser to access secure pages for resetting servers via an APC PDU (something the built-in browsers of the Blackberry can't seem to do properly).

So while I wanted to make the 'big step' up, and am unwilling to return to the clutches of AT&T (hence, no iPhone for me for a few years), the Blackberry that could do wifi and was still small seemed a perfect match. Only, it's hardly perfect.

I don't expect Apple to write all the code to make this work. I suspect that the boys from RIM have a LOT to do with what the software of this device can or can't do, (eh?). So how do I make requests or suggestions for software improvements. Both Gates and Jobs understand that it isn't the hardware that makes the solution these days -- it's the elegance and functionality of the software. This Blackberry OS is very unfriendly from what I initially see. Where are the hooks to allow Apple to write the iSync scripts to sync? Where's the bluetooth connectivity for file management? Where's simple stuff like an easy-to-install (or, gasp, preinstalled) countdown timer or stopwatch like is written into my 4 yr old Nokia? I know the design of the Blackberry isn't going to give me nightvision video like I had with that Nokia 6230 -- some things just aren't going to be the same. But somethings are solely software. Smarter calculators (trig functions?) smarter timers, smarter bluetooth, smarter sync software so that third-parties aren't needed. (well, that's not fair. I'm gladly giving the Missing Sync folks money if I elect to keep this thing.)

Heck, why can't I simply force the phone to go ONLY WAP for sites to minimize the traffic (or the problems)? And why can't I use Opera 4 in landscape mode -- or is that the fault of the folks at Opera?

So many questions. At 24hrs old, this phone is largely a disappointment.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #83
EAdmin

Model: 8700
Carrier: Bell
Exclamation PocketMac...hhhmmm

Good morning (for me at least )
I've been attempting to download the PocketMac file from the provided link but keep getting a "Mounting failed. File doesn't exist?" error.e
Help?
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #84
bardo

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default RIM OEM Blackberry Sync for Mac is Coming

I have it on good authority from several RIM employees that the BB Sync software is coming soon . They are all aware of the troubles with the current solutions (if you can call them that). Be patient young grasshoppers....
Old 05-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #85
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: AT&T

erm, what's wrong with MissingSync?

Palm had it so you could sync via Bluetooth also.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #86
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
erm, what's wrong with MissingSync?

Palm had it so you could sync via Bluetooth also.
MissingSync doesn't sync over bluetooth. No Contacts. No iCal. No Joy. Beyond that, it works better than the other product via usb for me.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #87
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wait, how could it not sync that?

The Missing Sync for BlackBerry - Synchronize Mac OS X and BlackBerry
Quote:
The Missing Sync for BlackBerry ensures that all of your important contacts are kept in sync between Apple's Address Book and your BlackBerry handset.

The Missing Sync for BlackBerry also synchronizes calendar events and tasks from iCal to your BlackBerry device.
Or do you mean va Bluetooth? I meant that my Treo could easily sync over Bluetooth with MissingSync, with only select conduits (calendar/contacts; no backup) for a really quick sync.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:35 PM   #88
afterhours
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wait, how could it not sync that?

The Missing Sync for BlackBerry - Synchronize Mac OS X and BlackBerry

Or do you mean va Bluetooth? I meant that my Treo could easily sync over Bluetooth with MissingSync, with only select conduits (calendar/contacts; no backup) for a really quick sync.
Reread the thread... Blackberries cannot sync important data via Bluetooth. They can via USB. It may be pleasant to stream my music to bluetooth headphones, but bluetooth can do so much more. RIM hasn't paid much attention to the Mac market -- so they'll lose us to the iPhone, once Apple gets their chipsets in order and unshackle us from AT&T.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #89
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

BBs have limited BT syncing capabilities, as I understand it, because they originated in the corporate market, where data security concerns trumped ease of use. Now that BBs have gone mainstream and are as much a consumer gadget, RIM has to address the issue in some manner. Or not. Conversely, I guess, Apple has to address security concerns with the iPhone.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #90
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, OK. I hear you all. But. If there was a thief close enough to extract data via Bluetooth from a corporate representative, then they could theoretically clobber them and make off with their Blackberry, laptop and day planner. Or drug them; or any number of options. Seriously.

That is the worse excuse I've ever heard for lack of Bluetooth sync; there are plenty of phones in the corporate world that sync over Bluetooth. I work at a giant corporation, and Bluetooth sync obscurity is the least concern. IT departments are usually pretty clueless when it comes to firewalling and other protectionist policies. Nay, pretty much always.

</rant>

Hopefully the rumored, sanctioned BB desktop for Mac will support this.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:40 AM   #91
taimur
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: mobilink

Im having trouble syncing tasks thru pocketmac. Ive tried iCal and Entourage 2004. Everything syncs except for tasks. Maybe its because i have a lot of tasks and some are recurring etc.
Does anyone have a solution for this?
Old 07-11-2008, 03:51 AM   #92
azulgrasso

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Parallels and Desktop Manager do not work to well. That was my experience, even less if you have the Pearl from Verizon.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #93
akin67

Model: 8330
Carrier: VerizonWireless
Unhappy How do you Undo Sync on PocketMac?

I synchronized my Blackberry with MacBook Pro without realizing that PocketMac was set to have the Blackberry overwrite MacBook Pro Address book. I ended up deleting a bunch of contacts on the Mac.

Is there any way to "reverse" or "undo" the last sync on PocketMac?

Thanks,
Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #94
ribrown
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post
I synchronized my Blackberry with MacBook Pro without realizing that PocketMac was set to have the Blackberry overwrite MacBook Pro Address book. I ended up deleting a bunch of contacts on the Mac.

Is there any way to "reverse" or "undo" the last sync on PocketMac?

Thanks,
Unless you are running time machine for backup you can not retrieve those that were overwrited. With PocketMac you have to set the preferences for how you want it to sync. Been there, done that. One of these days they will write a fully functional DM for the MAC.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #95
sprale

Model: 8830
Carrier: unknown
Default Entourage Exchange support and syncing

I have a new 8830. If I can get Exchange support for my Entourage data, is there any need for sync software?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #96
jaykobe24

Model: 8120
Carrier: Rogers

Hi, I just recently purchased a BlackBerry Pearl 8120 and have some of the same problems you guys are having. Some people have mentioned that if you connect your phone via USB to your mac and then go to Disk Utilities and format the memory card in FAT32 format, that it should then be able to work under your mac. I don't even see the memory card... I can tell that my mac recognizes my BlackBerry (Missing in Sync BlackBerry opens up upon connection) but just doesn't do anything with it... I have Parallels Desktop running Windows XP with RIM's Device Manager installed... I have tried to copy files (mainly pictures and mp3 files) to the 8120 but get errors like: "BlackBerry device has ended connection..." and thus doesn't manage to transfer any files... if anyone has found any solutions please post it here.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #97
Casper TFG
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2 UK

Quote:

Hopefully the rumored, sanctioned BB desktop for Mac will support this.
And there is Snow Leopard coming soon...

Interesting points here (and read the comments below too which call BS)

MacWindows Opinion: Snow Leopard's Exchange support won't deliver Outlook parity

And this website has a LOT of interesting Mac stuff..

Snow Leopard Server Takes on Exchange, SharePoint xxx8212; RoughlyDrafted Magazine

waiting patiently..
Old 12-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #98
fullserviceuk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9790
Carrier: EE/Orange

I have an 8820 with several thousand contacts. Pocket Mac takes several minutes to "sync" with my address book, but actually only about 200 or so of those contacts have been "synced"

I then downloaded Missing Sync and that fared only marginally better, syncing about 900 contacts, but the rest I'm going to have to type in manually. What a waste of money!

Sadly the iPhone isn't available for Orange users here in the UK and I still have over a year of my contract to run, but as soon as it's over I'm switching to Vodaphone and an iPhone
Old 12-28-2008, 01:39 AM   #99
phatmomof4

Model: 8310
Carrier: att
Default Error 523 Help

Can you use linux to fix the error 523
Old 01-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #100
mlxjaded
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: PM

Okay I'm not OCD or anything but you forgot the / between 77xx and 81xx. Kind of bothers me. (sorry if someone already pointed this out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch View Post

• Macintosh OS 10.3 or higher
• Compatible USB devices: 62xx/72xx/75xx/77xx81xx/83xx/87xx/88xx
• Compatible serial devices: 85x/95x/58xx/67xx - Requires:

Out on your own.
Cold and alone again.
Can this be what you really wanted, baby?