Old 08-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
berrydeezz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Google Maps GPS not accurate?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it just me or does nobody really use google maps, whenever I try to pin point my location it's always about 1600 meters off. When driving it does not update often or pretty much at all. I have tried this with sprint and verizon versions and both do the same thing.

Also can somebody tell me how to reinstall blackberry maps because seems like sprint can't do it.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

If Google Maps is off, expect the same with BB Maps.

My GPS seemes to do better when I dumped BB Weather, and some of the game apps that came with the device. Maybe its a coincidence

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Moved to more appropriate forum.

Google maps uses cell tower data (triangulation if available) to locate you until GPS locks on, hence the 1700 to 2500 meter inaccuracy.

There seem to be problems with CDMA devices and GPS/GoogleMaps.

Please check the GPS & Maps section for more info and also use the SEARCH function.

Make sure that you have "Location Services ON" and that you are outside with a clear view of the sky and have a BB data plan provisioned on your account. Maps require a BB data plan.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 08-04-2009 at 05:11 PM..
Old 08-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
berrydeezz

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Moved to more appropriate forum.

Google maps uses cell tower data (triangulation if available) to locate you until GPS locks on, hence the 1700 to 2500 meter inaccuracy.

There seem to be problems with CDMA devices and GPS/GoogleMaps.

Please check the GPS & Maps section for more info and also use the SEARCH function.

Make sure that you have "Location Services ON" and that you are outside with a clear view of the sky and have a BB data plan provisioned on your account. Maps require a BB data plan.
But on my 8830 and 8330 it's 100% accurate and they are cdma
Old 08-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
DriveSafe.ly

Model: Storm
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrydeezz View Post
But on my 8830 and 8330 it's 100% accurate and they are cdma
Same here for me i have a storm and a tour on cmda and it works great.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I had the same experience with BB Maps with my curve, but the Tour is sometimes a different experience

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveSafe.ly View Post
Same here for me i have a storm and a tour on cmda and it works great.
Well, there seems to be a lot of CDMA users complaining about the lack of GPS lately. Seen several for the 8xxx series as well as the Tour. Probably more from Tour owners as I looked back on some of the posts.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Jeepman

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZ

Google and BB maps are great on the Storm. Using VZ Nav I did have a little hick-up when trying to find the cheapest diesel in Lake Tahoe city the other day. I drove by some cheap places and it took me to a place where there was a trasnportation yard and maybe in there was diesel for their equipment.. gated so I could not even tell.

Ended up backtracking. Are there key words I need to type in?? Everything else worked great like the 3 D directions to get me to the yard and voice turn by turn.. just the actual location.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
The_conductor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 313D86F5

google maps is crap i used it on my 8330 it takes forever to load and its gps is always off the mark
Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_conductor View Post
google maps is crap i used it on my 8330 it takes forever to load and its gps is always off the mark
...for you. I, on the other hand, find it to be great, and accurate.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
tkane18

Model: 9630

I just went on a trip to Wisconsin from Chicago using Google maps and it was very accurate. In some of the rural areas, it took the maps a few minutes to update but the GPS lock kept moving the arrow along. The only thing I wish I could do with Google maps (on the Blackberry) is adjust the route that it mapped for me. We were told to go a certain way due to construction but eventually came back to the route it mapped for us.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_conductor View Post
Google Maps is fine. Plenty of people use it without problems.

Again, look at the recent threads -- specifically at the BB models of the OP's that are having issues finding satellites or getting a fix. There's a very high number of xx30 model BB's (i.e. CDMA).

If it can't get a GPS fix it will triangulate and it can easily be off by up to 2100 meters or so.

Wish I could help but both of my BB's are GSM. As I stated in other threads, it seems like improperly specified or a lack of a specified PDE IP (used for GPS on CDMA BB's) is the likely culprit but I can't verify this.

FWIW:
Quote:
Setting up PDE information

CDMA wireless service providers usually provide a PDE server which helps the BlackBerry smartphone in obtaining and computing location information.

Note: All Qualcomm gpsOne modes, except StandAlone and Cellsite, require a connection to a PDE server.
If that applies to these cases then the CDMA carriers probably aren't using StandAlone mode and Cellsite just returns the location of the tower in contact with the BB in question (probably for triangulation).

In any case, someone with an affected CDMA BB is going to have to take the baton and run with it.

Last edited by takeshi; 08-05-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
jmwking
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Some VZW models won't let Google Maps use the GPS. You need an external puck, or else it bases your location on the cell antenna and signal strength.

Otherwise, make sure the GPS is set to allow all application to use it (Options > Advanced Options > GPS and set to "Location On" rather than "E911").

And of course, for all GPS receivers you need a relatively clear shot at the sky ("relatively" being a relative term, depending on the sensitivity of the receiving antenna).

On my Storm on VZW, I'm generally placed with a few meters of my real location. Freaks out my friends who aren't familiar with GPS, especially when it's on Satellite view. "Wave at the camera!"

I'm just waiting for Google to aggregate location data and speed to do a better job of displaying real-time traffic. They aggregate every-damned-thing else; why not traffic?

-jk
Old 08-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
DHermit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just tried it outside and my 8900 uses the GPS for google maps for free. Got my location within 3 meters.
Closed Thread