Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Default TeleNav Comments

Please Login to Remove!

I use a dedicated GPS when I need a GPS but decided to try TeleNav yesterday (BB 8800c). I found it to be useable but slow and inaccurate. By slow, the updates (highway driving) don't always seem to keep my position updated on the map, if I go off the route, there is a 10-20 second delay before it knows you're off route and downloads a new map and route.

Inaccurate because if there is a road running parallel to a highway, and I get off the highway onto the road, the GPS still thinks I'm on the highway until it is far enough separated from the highway (when I turn off the road onto another street). Comparing with my GPS that knows the correct road I'm driving.

I'm not sure if it is because of the GPS in the BB, the software, the data transfer speed or a combination of all three. In a pinch I could see it being handy but I can't see using it as a primary GPS. If my Garmin 2730 is a 9 out of 10, I'd rate TeleNav a 7.

I compared TeleNav to a route I've taken many times using the Garmin 2730. Is this typical? I've read several other reviews and everyone has given TeleNav high marks.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Hard for me to compare since BB GPS has been my first GPS unit, but I think it works quite well and is my primary one. 5.1 will add traffic and search along the route, but I am also trying Mapquest and it works well too with a different philosophy. It DL's more at the start so it doesn't have to ping the server as much. Give it a few more runs and report back if you still think it doesn't do the job. I love the 3D mapping.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I've been happy, overall, with Telenav. I have noticed the same problems. It does take a little long to get a reroute. And I've noticed the same issue with roads that are close together. Where I live there are three small cul-de-sacs and I'm on the middle one. It doesn't know which one I'm on and it usually has to ask me. Then it doesn't stay there after it asks me. It asks me again. So, not sure what that's all about but I still like it. When you head off somewhere you haven't been it really does do a good job.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
rupertnoton
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

My findings are similar to both Stinsonddogxxx8217;s and Johnxxx8217;s. Ixxx8217;ve also noticed that, unless Ixxx8217;m traveling at a speed of at least 5mph, the relative location and compass tools tend to always indicate a northward bearing. This makes using these tools while walking a little difficult. This might, however, be an issue with my BT-359 puck. That said, I really like TeleNav for driving. Looking forward to 5.1.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

I would *think* it is the BB as the problem in the position being accurate. I'd be interested to hear from someone comparing an external GPS to the internal 8800.

Maybe I'll see if there is a difference stinsonddog with MapQuest. Yesterday using TeleNav in NYC was a good experience for the most part. It was still acting odd though. One example, I'm heading in the correct direction when all of a sudden it recalculates my route and tells me to make a U-Turn on 42nd Street. A few seconds late and it was set back to the correct directions. I was curious why and were it though I needed to go by a U-Turn.

I"ll probably keep the service because it is always good in a pinch to have a GPS with you and it is relatively low priced. I'm really waiting on the traffic with 5.1. I think that has great potential as TeleNav can, not that it will, pick up real time traffic data from people using the service. That would be very cool.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Hard for me to compare since BB GPS has been my first GPS unit, but I think it works quite well and is my primary one. 5.1 will add traffic and search along the route, but I am also trying Mapquest and it works well too with a different philosophy. It DL's more at the start so it doesn't have to ping the server as much. Give it a few more runs and report back if you still think it doesn't do the job. I love the 3D mapping.
Where can we get the MapQuest version for Cingular?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #7
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus

Thanks!
It is only available for Sprint/Nextel but if you search this site you'll find someone was able to load it on their 8700/8800(?) and get it working. Can remember any more details than that.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus

Thanks!
It's not out yet. Soon. I have a beta version, and am waiting for both their new version and Telenavs. Both are promised within the next month.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

Used 8800 + Telenav for a few weeks and seem happy with the tracking. Rerouting and positioning seems accurate. Could it be dependent on where you live? I live in Pittsburgh PA which seems to have fairly good maps and traffic information on most nav services.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
jmandoman

Model: 8820

On my 8703e with Sprint, I'm having similar issues.

I'm usually well past an intersection or highway exit before the map shows me passing it. I've noticed that if I'm travelling at slower speeds (below 50mph) it's more accurate. At highway speeds, it's always a good 30 seconds or more behind me.

If I don't follow the turn instructions, it tries to turn me around to it's planned route several times before recalulating a new route. I decided to take another way home from a trip last nite. It kept trying to get me to do a U Turn to it's route for 5-10 miles before giving up and giving me a new route.

I've also used it to navigate me to destinations I already know and it comes up with some "creative" routes that are odd and long - even though it's set to fastest route.

However, it's better than most I've found out there for the BB. I used CoPilot Live on my old Windows Mobile PDA and loved it. Wish they'd develop a version for the BB.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #11
eap

Model: Pearl
Carrier: att

TelNav is OK, but I find it very slow - I've had it for awhile on my 7520 and just don't think it is worth the monthly subscription (if I were paying for it out of pocket).

Since US taxpayers are paying the subscription, I recommended that the office discontinue the service. We have several other GPS options including BBMaps, and while it doesn't talk, it seems to fill the BB niche just fine. YMMV
Old 03-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

TeleNav works well for me, especially with the POI.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I use a dedicated GPS when I need a GPS but decided to try TeleNav yesterday (BB 8800c). I found it to be useable but slow and inaccurate. By slow, the updates (highway driving) don't always seem to keep my position updated on the map, if I go off the route, there is a 10-20 second delay before it knows you're off route and downloads a new map and route.

Inaccurate because if there is a road running parallel to a highway, and I get off the highway onto the road, the GPS still thinks I'm on the highway until it is far enough separated from the highway (when I turn off the road onto another street). Comparing with my GPS that knows the correct road I'm driving.

I'm not sure if it is because of the GPS in the BB, the software, the data transfer speed or a combination of all three. In a pinch I could see it being handy but I can't see using it as a primary GPS. If my Garmin 2730 is a 9 out of 10, I'd rate TeleNav a 7.

I compared TeleNav to a route I've taken many times using the Garmin 2730. Is this typical? I've read several other reviews and everyone has given TeleNav high marks.

Regards-Michael G.

I agree with ALL points made. I had a Garmin 2730 myself, and I have GPS built in to my Z8 (which is a not a great GPS) and one built into my Porsche, which is pretty good. I still use the telenav because I like the POI's...I find it more user friendly, while it may not be nearly as accurate and does get confused in areas packed with many roads on top of each other..
Old 03-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Don't worry about it
Default different view

I have a built in unit in my car and that's by far the best. However, my Garmin 2620 is great too and I use that most often when I travel.

Now I have used the TeleNav system around here in Columbus, Ohio and it's fine. Very fast, accurate and outside perhaps a few better routes being available it's selected good stuff and worked fine.

I'm heading out on another 1 week road trip to the east coast on Monday and will use my Garmin as usual, but will run my TeleNav on the BB8800 side by side for kicks to see how she does.

I do see it's benefit in downtown city areas though as the Garmin units will lose signal if buildings like in Chicago or NYC are around. I don't think I'll have that problem with a cell phone system.

Another nice thing / (potential) of TeleNav and my BB8800 would be that while I may still use my 2620 on the initial drive out to where I'm going, if the cell works good, I'll use it for my calls during the day so as not to have to lug around another piece of equipment.

My updates will be coming soon.

Last edited by pdqgp; 03-24-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Closed Thread