BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell
Default RIM is starting to follow the pattern...

Please Login to Remove!

...that seems inevitable for all big companies. They are becoming the Roman Empire.

Desktop software 4.3 is an abomination of bugs and hiccups that has wasted literally 2 full days of my time now. Installing, uninstalling, resintalling DM 4.2.2 (oops...won't work with 8330), web searches, reinstalling, upgrading to Office 2003, uninstalling desktop software due to "can't find file in table" bug, web searches, reinstalling, workarounds, etc. And still I have to update the driver for the the mass storage device in Control Panel to work EVERY TIME I PLUG MY Blackberry in. Not to mention there seems to be no logic at all when DM decides to notice I've plugged my device in.

The installer hangs on installing the Roxio media centre every time I install (not that I asked them to install it in the first place). Pretty fed up at the moment.

Anyone remember DBase V?

Last edited by pawn; 05-20-2008 at 09:31 AM..
Old 05-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Yea, DBase was heck on the Bluetooth connection.

**moved to Rants and Raves section**
Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

My 8330 works very well with DM 4.2.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Chaviva

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

I am using desktop manager 4.3 and it's working fine for me.
4.2.2 and 4.3 are the two desktop managers that work with windows vista
Old 05-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
My 8330 works very well with DM 4.2.
I always love how people have time to give a useless response to a post like this, but never have time to respond to the...

..multiple..

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...-v4-2-sp2.html

...requests for help...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...p-manager.html

...originally posted on the same subject. I guess some people just have more time for smarmy responses than helping other people. Glad that's working for you.

In my case however, DM 4.2.2 does NOT properly detect my 8330.

Thanks anyway though.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Ya I know what you mean like when the first thing out of somesones mouth is a complaint before asking for help, or wait maybe searching for it.

"...that seems inevitable for all big companies. They are becoming the Roman Empire."
Old 05-20-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ya I know what you mean like when the first thing out of somesones mouth is a complaint before asking for help, or wait maybe searching for it.

"...that seems inevitable for all big companies. They are becoming the Roman Empire."
The awesome part is how I got my post in above before you had a chance, thus increasing your overall jackassedness twofold. Again, I'm glad that's working for you.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Oh, typically duplicate questions are closed or ignored. Those were posted within minutes of each other. So today you choose to ignore your base issue and attack RIM and users here... good move.

But your post in this thread was not about your issue, it was a rant about RIM.

Your issue is sometimes solved by making sure you are NOT connected via a USB hub or monitor connection, but directly to the USB port on the PC... reboot both device and PC, and try again.

Check that you are at least getting a charge indicator on the BB while connected, that is at least a clue you are connected.

Don't install the DM with the Media Manager. You really don't need it, and it is buggy still for some users. Install without it is much leaner and more assured that the DM will work.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-20-2008 at 11:35 AM..
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawn View Post
The awesome part is how I got my post in above before you had a chance, thus increasing your overall jackassedness twofold. Again, I'm glad that's working for you.
You are taking this way to serious, relax, I'm just joking around, to me it sounded like you were complaning about it, not asking for help. Again, just joking around.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

4.3 DM works just fine on pearl. Its really just hit and mis thing really. I have never encountered one error with it. Now thats not to say it wont happen today. This is the third PC I have installed it on and they all work fine. The only one I had any issue with was an old 7520 that my buddy uses.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

same i havent had an issue yet running 4.3 and vista...
Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yep, pretty sure I was on the mark with my original rant. Spent 2 more days now trying to do something as simple as watching a movie on my BB. Thought that would be a simple one since I had 10 or 12 full length movies previously formatted for my Pearl (originally) that played just fine on my Curve 8320 as well. Nothing doing on my 8330.

So after screwing around with mencoder, Super and BB Video Converter for hours and hours with no luck, I decided to install the bloated Roxio media centre piece of junk. What fun that was!!!!! The irony is, my original rant above is watered down now, because DM 4.2.2 DOES detect and preperly install my 8330 on my home computer. But back to the story: first I had to deal with the installation of Roxio that hangs on "gathering information" for seemingly 20 minutes. Decided to wait it out this time and I was rewarded for my patience with it actually installing. Then the crashing on startup came. Roxio kept trying to install DAO, but the files were "on the network and can't be found" or something like that. Trying to cancel just crashed the program. Not to worry, apparently a lot of people had the same experience, so Google's our friend right? Google told me to uninstall DAO, then restart Roxio. Awesome, Roxio starts now. Whoops, except Roxio tells me it can't convert ANY of my MPEG-2 files (why?) or even my VOB files. All of these MPEG-2 files were created to standard formats using my PVR software (SageTV) and convert just fine with anything else (mencoder, etc.), and as stated, these converted files used to play just fine on my previous two devices.

The answer? Have my PVR software convert it to another format and let Roxio convert that converted file (because of course, I have no life whateoever and have all the time in the world to convert files two, three, four times, whatever it takes right?). Success! The file played, but the file Roxio created was MASSIVE (one movie was almost a gig). Well, that won't stop me. We'll just get Super to convert that file to something more reasonable first, THEN use Roxio to convert it. Why not? We're in this deep.

BUT NO! Unfotuntaely, it was at this point I realized that installing Roxio gimped SageTV, the most important piece of software I have (at home). Now I was blessed with spending hours trying to recover that software. FIrst thing was re-install DAO. No luck. Reinstall Sage. Nope. Uninstall Sage and do a fresh install. Nope. Uninstall Roxio? NOPE BECAUSE IT HAS NO DAMNED UNINSTALL UTILITY EVEN UNDERR CONTROL PANEL. (BTW: it also runs a hidden listener program that starts with Windows that you'd never know without using msconfig to see what's starting). I have no idea if uninstalling Desktop Manager uninstalls it, because my next move was to do a Windows System Restore to the point before Roxio was installed. Bingo! Sage works again. But I guess I won't be viewing movies on my Blackberry. Ya gotta take the good with the bad though, right?

The moral of the story: maybe RIM was right in the first place when they avoided consumer toys and stuck to email and things they obviously know more about.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Try here...videos4blackberry.info

Oh, don't use media manager, just drag and drop into the sdcard.

Last edited by zerog46; 05-23-2008 at 06:05 PM..
Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #14
pawn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Try here...videos4blackberry.info

Oh, don't use media manager, just drag and drop into the sdcard.
Awesome, thanks for the link (the first one I tried played just fine). But geez, way to take away my anger during a rant.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
SpectreBlofeld
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A

Don't worry, it's not just you.

Here at work, we have approximately 30-40 Dell machines that are IDENTICAL in hardware specs and preloaded software. I have installed the Desktop Manager software on about ten of them. About half of the installations give me endless crashes/errors constantly. I pretty much just avoid those machines when I need to use DM for something because I don't know how to fix it. Again, these machines are identical and so was the install process. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, you just either end up with a decent install or you don't. I did learn to stay the heck away from Roxio though.
Closed Thread