Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #121
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Please Login to Remove!

so, since Garmin charges a 1 time fee for the life of the device, how much do they charge for updated maps/nav info ?

i just got off the phone with telenav mentioning if they would be changing their price plans any time soon....

they charge monthly/yearly/per 4 years, but they provide the latest POI's, maps and traffic info every 3 months (i don't have to extra for this).

but is updated maps/etc. really worth the subscription ?
for example, if i pay telenav for 2 years of service (200), but instead paid Garmin 80 bucks and used their service for 2 years, i'm saving 180....

anyone got screen shots of Garmin in action on their phones ? does it work well on the storm ?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #122
Barfaroo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
so, since Garmin charges a 1 time fee for the life of the device, how much do they charge for updated maps/nav info ?

i just got off the phone with telenav mentioning if they would be changing their price plans any time soon....

they charge monthly/yearly/per 4 years, but they provide the latest POI's, maps and traffic info every 3 months (i don't have to extra for this).

but is updated maps/etc. really worth the subscription ?
for example, if i pay telenav for 2 years of service (200), but instead paid Garmin 80 bucks and used their service for 2 years, i'm saving 180....

anyone got screen shots of Garmin in action on their phones ? does it work well on the storm ?
Garmin doesn't charge for updated maps since the info resides on their servers, not on the BB. Once you buy it for $100 or whatever they are now charging, it's yours for the life of your phone. I believe you have 30 days to return it if you don't want it.

I have no idea if it works on the Storm. You can call Garmin and ask.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #123
NorthAurora

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Through the BlackBerry Lounge the Garmin mobile app is only $79, you get a 20% discount.

http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/blackberry/bblounge.jsp

I am currently trying the Garmin app on a 8900, and so far I am quite torn between whether or not to get it. It's a very nicely designed application, and get's you going within minutes. However, I found the GPS navigation to be quite quirky. I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 and have been using it for years. The BB Garmin App leads me to ways my Nuvi would have never sent me, and the bad part is that they make absolutely no sense. It was telling me to get off the highway 10 miles before I reached home, which made no sense at all. One time it told me that I would have to turn left in 500 meters, when in fact I knew I would have to turn right. When the intersection approached, it said to turn right. Hmmmm...

Also I don't like the electronic voice on the BB Garmin app, which I understand is streaming on demand, and probably because of that sounds very tinny. While driving on a highway from Chicago to Aurora yesterday the app told me 3 times that it was recalculating my route, and when I looked on the screen it thought I had taken an exit. Weird.

When I use Google maps I see that my accuracy is within 3 meters, so GPS inaccuracy shouldn't be the problem.

Forget about reading any street names on the map, screen is way too small, and you might end up in an accident if you do.

With all that said, it sure is a nice application that ties in with Google local search, traffic and weather, and would be a nice backup to have in case you're travelling and don't have your regular GPS navigator with you.

Last edited by NorthAurora; 02-26-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #124
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAurora View Post
Through the BlackBerry Lounge the Garmin mobile app is only $79, you get a 20% discount.

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

I am currently trying the Garmin app on a 8900, and so far I am quite torn between whether or not to get it. It's a very nicely designed application, and get's you going within minutes. However, I found the GPS navigation to be quite quirky. I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 and have been using it for years. The BB Garmin App leads me to ways my Nuvi would have never sent me, and the bad part is that they make absolutely no sense. It was telling me to get off the highway 10 miles before I reached home, which made no sense at all. One time it told me that I would have to turn left in 500 meters, when in fact I knew I would have to turn right. When the intersection approached, it said to turn right. Hmmmm...

Also I don't like the electronic voice on the BB Garmin app, which I understand is streaming on demand, and probably because of that sounds very tinny. While driving on a highway from Chicago to Aurora yesterday the app told me 3 times that it was recalculating my route, and when I looked on the screen it thought I had taken an exit. Weird.

When I use Google maps I see that my accuracy is within 3 meters, so GPS inaccuracy shouldn't be the problem.

Forget about reading any street names on the map, screen is way too small, and you might end up in an accident if you do.

With all that said, it sure is a nice application that ties in with Google local search, traffic and weather, and would be a nice backup to have in case you're travelling and don't have your regular GPS navigator with you.
based on this account, telenav feels much better suited for nav on blackberries. i started using it back in the day when the pearl was hot stuff and bought the bluetooth GPS puck to go with it....but ever since bb's were coming with internal GPS, i've continued using telenav. navigation is quick, and the interface is pretty slick. i like how i can go online and add/modify addresses, then i can refresh them on the phone.

also, i think telenav is transferable because so far i've only had 1 telenav account and used it on 3 blackberries in the past 3 years....
this time around when my year is up in april, i think i'll pay 250 for 4 years of service, instead of 100/yearly....

just my .02....

my wife has a nuvi 760, and it's nice, but you have to buy updated maps/poi info if you want to have the latest.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #125
Barfaroo

Model: 8330
Carrier: US Cellular

I haven't had Garmin Mobile take me places that make no sense. The only problem I have is that voice directions sometimes contradict the visual directions on the display. It's irritating, but the information on the display has always been correct. For example, I might turn a corner and the voice directions may tell me to continue .8 miles and in the next breath it may say "Turn right." That latter is consistent with what the display says and is correct.

Also, the female voice seems annoyed if you pass up a turn or go by your destination, a minor annoyance.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #126
btdown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
The BB Garmin App leads me to ways my Nuvi would have never sent me, and the bad part is that they make absolutely no sense. It was telling me to get off the highway 10 miles before I reached home, which made no sense at all.
I have found this as well (quite often). But as I continue to use the Garmin, I've noticed that if I make more than 1 trip to the same location, the routing improves, often just suggesting the the route I've taken in the past.

Perhaps the routing is adaptive, somehow.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #127
DougMcCready

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

A quick note to anyone considering where to purchase Garmin for their BB. I purchased from Handango when they had their 25% off deal about a month ago. I have a Bold and really like the Garmin app. I used Telenav for a year on my 8800 and switched because they compare relatively well (IMHO) but the TCO was lower on Garmin. HOWEVER, when you purchase from Handango, you are really buying a "handango branded" version and you are then forever bound to get any upgraded version from Handango. Your registration code WILL NOT WORK on the version downloaded from the Garmin site, or site other than Handango. Also, you can't re-download your "lifetime" Handango version without also purchasing their "download protection" plan for an additional $6.99 and is only for 3 years.

A few days after I purchased the Garmin app from Handango and found these details, I requested a refund from Handango, which took me a few weeks of crazy email games before I ended up talking to David Mason (Manager of Customer Care) who says he's going to refund my purchase price.

Once I get the refund, I'm going to the Garmin site and purchase.

BTW - Garmin is responsible for Handango content, so I'm a little frustrated with both Handango and Garmin that they put their customers through such a run-around. It just feels like it should be an easier experience.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #128
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Somewhat off-topic. I, also, found that Handango did not support small level upgrades from say version 1.0 to 1.00001 when the programmer made such upgrades available because I had not purchased their 'insurance.' Other shops do not appear to have such stringent (excessive) restrictions.

I wrote one programmer who only offered through them and said I would not purchase his program due to Handango's restrictions/limitations.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #129
Briman

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdown View Post
I have found this as well (quite often). But as I continue to use the Garmin, I've noticed that if I make more than 1 trip to the same location, the routing improves, often just suggesting the the route I've taken in the past.

Perhaps the routing is adaptive, somehow.
I had a situation where I used my Garmin mobile to get to a location and saved it to my favorites. A week later I ran a route to the same place from my favorites and the Garmin mobile gave me on a route that even Bugs Bunny would have found a little strange. I turned off the setting to use traffic data and the route changed back to normal. I risked the potential to get stuck in traffic and went with the original route to find no traffic jam. Perhaps the traffic data was incorrect and my Garmin Mobile was trying to route me around a false traffic jam.

I regards to traffic, your Garmin mobile is definitely adaptive.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #130
surfguy17

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

im assuming this works on the 8900 correct? i have a nuvi 680 and i have no issues with it but my mom uses it more so is this a safe bet or should i go wit nav4all or telenav??
Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #131
WorldIRC
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Hey is it me or do Gas Prices not work for Canadian Gas stations?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #132
ericthebikeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Today Garmin tried to kill me, hahaha. Seriously though it has traffic notices saying the bridge over the highway is gone but it told me to drive over it anyway. The bridge I've been taking isn't on their map though, and it has existed for at least 15 years. It is supposed to take traffic into account but it directed me to a busy bridge. Using the unlisted bridge in the trip leads to the same distance but with far less traffic.

There is also a city street that I regularly drive down but it says that doesn't exist either, again could have fooled me.

Finally, it has me driving down streets with a median. Only to leave me stuck on the wrong side of said median on a 6 lane street, not a U-Turn friendly area. I have avoid U-Turns enabled but it completely ignored it.

This is in a large midwest city (2.5 million+ as of 2007) so I can't see why it would be so off.

Do they bother updating anything? I can't see a good excuse for wacky routes or missing data. Google generates rotues that have been spot on so far, on the fly like the Garmin claims even.

I tried Amaze but the menus are corrupted on a regular basis so I removed it.

Last edited by ericthebikeman; 03-15-2009 at 05:17 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #133
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: O2 UK

I found Garmin got confused with distance /speed. I had it set to miles per hour but even though it was saying MPH it was working in KPH. It would say I was doing 80MPH when I was in fact doing 50MPH and if something was 5 Miles away it would say it was 8 Miles away. Couldnt get it to work properly so got rid of it.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 PM   #134
rygel411

Model: 8800
Carrier: tmobile

Ive used garmin recently because of the adress accuracy, it always keeps those up to date. But the reason Ill probably switch to telenav or vz nav is because the traffic feature in garmin is terrible. Ive been in a couple of traffic jams using it and while it shows when a traffic jam is approaching on the map, it NEVER suggest an alternate route. The most recent one was trying to get to o'hare last week. If I would have taken the turn it suggested(I could see the traffic jam ahead and it still sent me) I would have been stuck. Telenav always provides alternate routes for traffic jams and while its accuracy with adresses is off sometimes. I do a lot of travelling on the expressway and I need something to tell me how to get around traffic
Old 04-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #135
zero7404

my telenav subscription is about to croak on the 19th and i've been looking into this because it's a 1 time payment for the life of the device....

how is it working for storm users ? i have an unlocked 9530 on tmobile's network.

is the app smooth ? any lag ? does garmin continuously update it's maps/nav info so that you have the latest nav info when navigating ?
lastly, how's traffic avoidance on this platform ?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #136
rygel411

Model: 8800
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
my telenav subscription is about to croak on the 19th and i've been looking into this because it's a 1 time payment for the life of the device....

how is it working for storm users ? i have an unlocked 9530 on tmobile's network.

is the app smooth ? any lag ? does garmin continuously update it's maps/nav info so that you have the latest nav info when navigating ?
lastly, how's traffic avoidance on this platform ?
As I said in my post above, traffic avoidance is terrible on garmin. It will show you on the map if a traffic jam is approaching but at least in my experiences it never provides you an alternate route. I dont know why, maybe theres a button that you have to push or something but it never seems to reroute you around traffic(and yes I have traffic avoidances enabled in the options).
Old 04-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #137
zero7404

i decided to try it out since i have nothing to lose...
7 day trial

so far i used it for a few routes and it's as accurate as telenav. the interface works well on the storm, makes sense since their nuvi products are also touch screen.

what i like:
fast/accurate navigation
day/night auto display mode
flight status check (from within "Where to ?"
ability to enter my addresses online, then retrieve and nav to from phone

whati don't like:
the settings/options are somewhat limited when compared to telenav's interface. the display won't turn off when navigating (could be a good thing too, as you don't need to press a button to turn the display back on, but it does chew up more battery).

overall its a pretty cool app and does the job. for the 100 bucks flat fee, its definitely worth it when compared to telenav....but im hesitant to buy this app because im not sure if ill be stuck with this same version or if ill be allowed to upgrade when later versions are released.....
and im not too crazy about the one device thing, as i have a tendency to switch devices about every 1 - 2 years. i'm not sure how lenient garmin is if i dropped or lost the phone, as it's unlocked and im using it with a carrier it is not intended for...
Old 04-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #138
bnewkirk

Model: Bold2

I have been using Garmin Mobile for some time and been happy with it.

Because of a hardware problem with my Curve's USB port and am going to have to have the Curve replaced under warranty.

According to Garmin I will need to plunk down another $99 as it is only good for the device it was installed on, one time.

I am not sure I am going to do that. I may looks at other options like Google or Mapquest.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #139
zero7404

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewkirk View Post
According to Garmin I will need to plunk down another $99 as it is only good for the device it was installed on, one time.
see now that's not nice, its a rule that lets Garmin 'double-dip' its customers...

i think i read somewhere on their site that there are provisions for those who get their device replaced due to a warranty issue....

its one of the only things holding me back from getting this software...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #140
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygel411 View Post
As I said in my post above, traffic avoidance is terrible on garmin. It will show you on the map if a traffic jam is approaching but at least in my experiences it never provides you an alternate route. I dont know why, maybe theres a button that you have to push or something but it never seems to reroute you around traffic(and yes I have traffic avoidances enabled in the options).
In my extensive experience TN is great in the department. At first I resisted it, and now I never do.
Closed Thread