Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #61
GoldenRule

Model: 7130C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Another Update

Please Login to Remove!

Here's a quick rundown on my attempt to setup BIS today with my Google App hosted solution.

My Setup:
  • Cingular/AT&T
  • BB 7130c
  • Google App free version
  • CNAME pointing from pop.mydomain.com to pop.gmail.com
  • CNAME pointing from smtp.mydomain.com to smtp.gmail.com
  • POP is DISABLED in Google Apps

Through the RIM site, I was able to add my email account by simply typing in my email address and password. It detected everything and presented no errors.

What's working/not working:
  • Sent messages appear in Google Apps
  • I added a filter through the RIM website to discard the sent messages, otherwise they end up back on the BB as a new message
  • No reconciliation (if I delete messages on my BB they stay in Google Apps)
  • No read/unread updating between BB and Google Apps

The CNAME setup is obviously abnormal. I'm not sure if it's required, I just tried it because it seemed as though it would help the setup process. I never actually typed in pop.mydomain.com into RIM's site.

I would LOVE to have full sync/reconciliation working. What a beautiful solution that would be. Anybody else able to provide a rundown on what's working and what's not and how they got it that way?

UPDATE: "Push" was only working sometimes. I don't think it was pushing...

UPDATE 2: Just got off the phone with AT&T. They contacted RIM and had a fifteen minute back and forth. I never got to speak with a RIM support tech. The final verdict was that RIM will not support 3rd party apps. Obviously that doesn't jive with other experiences on here. For those that were successful, it might help to have the specific language you used with the techs. At first they had no idea what I was talking about and the notify server seemed to mean nothing. I didn't know what else to request.

Last edited by GoldenRule; 08-08-2007 at 10:13 PM..
Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #62
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ROGERS

i called rogers tech support and they said they wont be able to help with that
Old 08-09-2007, 05:46 AM   #63
duckworth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Att

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRule View Post

UPDATE 2: Just got off the phone with AT&T. They contacted RIM and had a fifteen minute back and forth. I never got to speak with a RIM support tech. The final verdict was that RIM will not support 3rd party apps. Obviously that doesn't jive with other experiences on here. For those that were successful, it might help to have the specific language you used with the techs. At first they had no idea what I was talking about and the notify server seemed to mean nothing. I didn't know what else to request.
I would refer them to the following article on their site:
BIS v2 Upgrade and BlackBerry | AT&T wireless services

which states:
Quote:
Enhancements for Google Gmail subscribers—You are no longer required to enable POP (Post Office Protocol) before integrating your Gmail account. And you now get virtual real-time (instead of poll-based) delivery of Gmail messages.
I would be firm and demand real time messaging as that is what you are paying all the money to RIM for. Be clear that it is a gmail account, just with your own domain name. State that there is a known issue with BIS picking up the fact that it is a gmail account and that RIM needs to manually add it to enable "push" mail etc. I made them stay on while I confirmed it was working by sending 3 emails sequentially to my account immediately after the previous one was received on my device. Assuming your inbox is fairly empty and there are no large attachments you should receive it within 30 seconds of it showing up in your inbox.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:20 AM   #64
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ROGERS

tried again, no go, rogers folks are like we dont have the ability to make a ticket or anything. Sounded like they were bluffing!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #65
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile
Default RIM working on it

I spoke to two different RIM tech support reps over the last two days. The first one added me to the "notify" list which was supposed to switch my account over from polling to true push. For some reason it didn't work and he tried a couple times to remove and add the entry. He told me to call back the next day.

Today the next rep said that for some reason some hosted gmail accounts still do not work properly even after they add them to the notify list. They are working on a solution for this and he said he would get back to me within 48 hours.

Anyone else not able to get push working after speaking to RIM and having them add you to the notify server?

**UPDATE**
I randomly got my service books resent and some test emails from RIM and now my push is working 100%. I get my email to my bb within a few seconds of sending to my hosted gmail account.

Last edited by kd78; 08-14-2007 at 01:38 PM..
Old 08-14-2007, 02:39 PM   #66
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78 View Post
I spoke to two different RIM tech support reps over the last two days. The first one added me to the "notify" list which was supposed to switch my account over from polling to true push. For some reason it didn't work and he tried a couple times to remove and add the entry. He told me to call back the next day.

Today the next rep said that for some reason some hosted gmail accounts still do not work properly even after they add them to the notify list. They are working on a solution for this and he said he would get back to me within 48 hours.

Anyone else not able to get push working after speaking to RIM and having them add you to the notify server?

**UPDATE**
I randomly got my service books resent and some test emails from RIM and now my push is working 100%. I get my email to my bb within a few seconds of sending to my hosted gmail account.
Did RIM say what/when a fix for hosted domains would be available w/o calling them?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #67
whsbuss

UPDATE:

I just added another google hosted domain and I am getting instant push email. I wonder if RIM finally patched the BIS on Verizon? Can anyone else verify?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #68
Jaime

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

I have my email on google apps and I asked my mobile provider to tell RIM add my domain as a gmail alias. It took one week, but worked like a charm.

BR
Jaime
Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #69
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
I have my email on google apps and I asked my mobile provider to tell RIM add my domain as a gmail alias. It took one week, but worked like a charm.

BR
Jaime
That's great. But I think RIM has applied a patch that senses the MX records of a hosted domain so that it will automatically add that domain to their notify server for push email. I am in the process of adding another hosted domain to the BIS. I'll see if it works.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #70
kd78

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)
Quote:
Did RIM say what/when a fix for hosted domains would be available w/o calling them?
They made it sound like it is still a manual process in some instances. He told me that some hosted gmail accounts are automatically sensed while some are not.

Last edited by kd78; 08-15-2007 at 08:05 AM..
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 AM   #71
dandrzejewski
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I noticed that when I added my hosted google account, it enabled POP on the hosted gmail account, which was previously disabled! I don't have any advanced options in the BIS, and all I needed was my [email address] and password... weird!
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #72
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Do we have a definitive answer on this?? It would be great to save 30 bucks a month on hosted BES and the extra 10 bucks to T-Mobile if this was working consistently.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 AM   #73
classact

Model: 9780
Carrier: Orange UK and T-Mobile UK

I've got BIS on both T-Mobile UK (BlackBerry 8700) and Orange UK (Nokia E90 with BlackBerry Connect). I also have BES with the second but let's leave that alone in this thread!

Adding a standard @gmail.com / @googlemail.com email account to either BIS functions as it has done for ages, with no requirement for inputting POP3 settings nor are POP3 settings configurable in the BIS interface under any Advanced Settings tab as they are if you add, say, an @mail.com email account or other "ordinary POP3" email account. Email is pushed to @gmail.com / @googlemail.com accounts instantly. I've noticed that setting up one of these accounts enables POP in the Gmail /Googlemail settings on the web interface. Despite this, there is no delayed polling so it doesn't appear to be "ordinary POP3" in use.

Adding a Google Apps / Google For Your Domain hosted email account, utilising a custom domain name, now works in the same way as above. There is no prompt for POP3 settings and those settings are not configurable under any Advanced Settings tab. Email is pushed to these accounts too. POP in the web interface is enabled however, like with the above, there is no delayed polling so it doesn't appear to be "ordinary POP" in use either.

A few points:
(i) Deleting an email on either the device or in the web mail interface does not delete the email on the other.
(ii) Email sent from the device does appear in the Sent Mail folder on the web interface.
(iii) Deleting an email from the sent box on the device does not delete it from the Sent Mail folder on the web interface even if it was sent from the relevant account configured on the device.
(iv) Email sent from the web mail interface appears in the Inbox on the device within the relevant account, rather than in the main sent box on the device. I believe this is down to how Google deal with email because you can see both Sent and Received email underneath the All Mail folder in the web interface.

Last edited by classact; 08-24-2007 at 02:58 AM..
Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 AM   #74
duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
(i) Deleting an email on either the device or in the web mail interface does not delete the email on the other.
If I delete an email from the device, and specify "On Mailbox and Handheld", it will be deleted from the web mail interface.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #75
whsbuss

When I send email from the BB I do get a copy in the Sent folder on the google account.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #76
classact

Model: 9780
Carrier: Orange UK and T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckworth View Post
If I delete an email from the device, and specify "On Mailbox and Handheld", it will be deleted from the web mail interface.
I've just noticed that option and imagine it will function as stated. Do you think that there is any way for an email that is deleted in the web interface to also be deleted from the device?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #77
duckworth

Quote:
I've just noticed that option and imagine it will function as stated. Do you think that there is any way for an email that is deleted in the web interface to also be deleted from the device?
Not that I am aware of.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:24 AM   #78
Keyscan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckworth View Post
Have you noticed a lag time? A lot of accounts may take up to 6 hours to reconcile properly.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #79
duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyscan View Post
Have you noticed a lag time? A lot of accounts may take up to 6 hours to reconcile properly.
I haven't experienced any. When I delete an email it is generally gone from my inbox in a matter of seconds.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #80
cdoggLBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
So no two-way sync?
Closed Thread