BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
wstrange

Model: 7290
Thumbs down Rogers TCP access no workey

Please Login to Remove!

I am trying to get Rogers TCP access working (7290) and am not having any luck. Basically any application that uses TCP (midpssh, BBweather, etc.) complains of "Session Error: Writer Malformed Address. Returning null connection".

I have followed the faq (set my TCP settings APN: blackberry.net, downloaded the service books again, etc.)

I called Rogers, and they tell me it is not supported

Any suggestions?
Old 05-28-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

You got the wrong CSR. Keep calling back until you get the right CSR - Try contacting the BlackBerry department and making sure that the "internet.com" APN is supported.

For the third party software, APN should NEVER be blackberry.net .... (it's only for blackberry email, blackberry browser, and MDS)

You must use an APN of internet.com for Rogers for third party networking software. This is clearly listed in my FAQ.

Also, it may help to upgrade the BlackBerryOS to Version 4.0 and get all the service books retransmitted (including Internet Browsing Service Book), and the Host Routing Table re-registered. For instructions, see the HTML web browser FAQ in the RIM Software section.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 05-30-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
wstrange

Default RE: Rogers TCP

I changed the APN to internet.com (no username/password as per your FAQ. The Rogers CSR told me I needed to enter wapuser1/wap as the username/password - but it seems to work without (subject to the caveats below).

I seem to have limited TCP connectivity. For example BBToday can now go and fetch the weather. At times times it comes up with the "Malformed Address" problem - but reloading the data seems to work. Perhaps this is an application problem?

midpssh still does not work ("Malformed Address" problem ). What is the interpretation of this error message?

Is there a good way to test TCP functionality so that I can determine if my problem is application related or TCP configuration related?

Thx

Warren
Old 05-31-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
MixPix

Model: 7280

Are you running BB OS 4.0?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #5
wstrange

Yes. I have a brand new 7290.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
virtualreach

wstrange - I have the exact same issue, and I've gone through almost exactly what you have gone through. I too have a 7290.

I did Marks steps. In TCP/IP -> Options I set Internet.com (I tried both with and without passwords that Rogers gave me that you mentioned above). I did a "Register Now" under Host Routing Table. I went to www.rogers.com/bwc and resent my service books. I rebooted the device. But I still get the intermittent "Malformed Address" error. It seems if I get that error, but immediately try to initiate a new connection it works.

I'm wondering now if its a 7290 issue.
Closed Thread