Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #1
The Boar

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default HELP! New & Unhappy BB User without PUSH

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone!
I'm new here, first thread, here goes...I'll try and keep it as short as i can....
I'm having an issue with my newly purchased BB Curve 8310 (Unlocked). I bought this phone new off Ebay so that I could use it with my Fido account (I have a voice and data plan) in Canada, and I've run into issues right off the bat. Here's whats going on;
Turns out, Fido doesn't offer any type of BB services (BIS or BES). This came as a surprise to me because I was told that they did prior to buying my BB, but I now am told that they no longer offer services for BB users . This has affected me because I am not able to get any PUSH services (Emails, notifications, etc.). I also do not have BB Browser, and also can't use PIN to PIN.
I've overcome some of these barriers by installing Opera Mini 4 browser so that I can at lease browse the web. As far as emails, I have Gmail app installed on my device BUT I do no receive Push emails, I have to manually open the app to search my account for new mail. Other apps, like Facebook for example, do not send me notifications either, I have to do a manual search.
So here's where I ask for you HELP. Can anybody recommend or suggest anything (like other applications) that would help me receive PUSH notifications, or even PIN's. I can not stress how annoying it is to have to manually search my apps for new notifications. I used to own an iPhone and I was able to set my Mail apps to search my Gmail every 'x' minutes for new mail. Can the BB do this somehow?
I hope to here from you guys....THANKS!!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

Sounds to me like your best option is to go with a better provider. A provider with no BB Data is just bound to go nowhere.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
The Boar

Unfortunately for me, I'm handcuffed with a contract with Fido. So opting out and switching providers will be too costly for me. I also happen to really like my voice plan
Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

I do not know if Fido still offers this:

Using a BlackBerry on the Fido Network | BlackBerryNews.com
Old 10-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
Auroraboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Go to Rogers and see what they will do for you with regard to switching. After all, they own FIDO. Maybe you can get a similar voice plan, and minimal transfer costs.

Alternately, if you are insistent on sticking with FIDO, sell the unlocked Curve and buy a Windows Mobile device, which FIDO supports.

Someone misled you if you were told that FIDO supports BB full functionality.

There are basically two type of data packages available. Rogers offers Blackberry data plans (for BB) and Generic data plans (for use with WM devices, iPhone, Symbion OS etc. ). FIDO only offers the generic data plan, and does not offer the BB data plan. Because BB has historically been a corporate device, I think Rogers has tried to market it solely through Rogers. Meanwhile FIDOs target market is consumers. With Blackberry now bringing out more and more consumer oriented devices, maybe FIDO will one day expand into fully supporting Blackberries.

In the meantime, I am afraid your only real GSM source in Canada for full BB support, is Rogers.

Last edited by Auroraboy; 10-09-2008 at 07:29 AM..
Old 10-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #6
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming
Carrier: Verizon

If properly configured and left running, the Gmail app *should* poll for mail every 20 minutes or so. You can then configure your profiles to alert you accordingly. Obviously this doesn't help with the rest of the apps you're using, but it's a step in the right direction.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Douglas Roe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 21701059
Default Fido Berry

FYI currently running the bold on fido, i have blackberry connect which they dont offer anymore, i have read several examples of people fighting thru there loyalty division and getting berry connect added, one as recent as two weeks ago
Closed Thread