Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #41
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I used mine for listening to music on a 4 hour flight from Dallas the other day. It sat on the tray table most of the time. Nobody said a word.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #42
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I used mine for listening to music on a 4 hour flight from Dallas the other day. It sat on the tray table most of the time. Nobody said a word.
i just turn it on, keep it in my pocket now and use my bluetooth headset, noone can tell its not just an MP3 player. no more reading emails for me :( of course i just use my laptop now to read those emails so its all good.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #43
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Every flight attendant is different. They usually brief that if your device has a wireless off or airplane mode then that's ok. They likely don't even know what that means even though they are the ones briefing it.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #44
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

i fly all the time (as a passanger ) and have never had them say anything about wireless off. i need to get a different airline
Old 02-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #45
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

The airlines I use all ask for the devices to be turned off. When I use the BB for the game they usually will stop and ask if it's not transmitting. Some do get little nuts and demand it be put away. Easier to comply than get into a problem with the Air Marshall
Old 02-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #46
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
The airlines I use all ask for the devices to be turned off. When I use the BB for the game they usually will stop and ask if it's not transmitting. Some do get little nuts and demand it be put away. Easier to comply than get into a problem with the Air Marshall
thats the thing, i just told her the wireless was off, and she walked away. air marshall came over a few seconds later. i didnt argue or cause a scene or anything. the whole thing was very strange.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #47
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Besides they carry guns
Old 02-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #48
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Besides they carry guns
And probably Blackberries (that are ON!)
Old 02-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #49
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
And probably Blackberries (that are ON!)
Old 02-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #50
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

he was actually carrying a red razr... was aweful
Old 02-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #51
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Acosted by an air marshal with a red razr. Ewwww.....

Hard to believe that the F/A went and blew the Air Marshall's cover for a cell phone.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM   #52
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

i am not sure on how they determine what flights they put Air Marshals on, but i was one of 7 people on the plane (besides the crew) and there was one on the flight. i found that incredibly, even with my bad luck it was astounding.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #53
PPCMD
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820

Flight attendants should be required by law to have a working knowledge of what the hell they are doing and how flight mode means the its safe to use while in flight. That is the purpose of it. Fortunately for me I have not run into this issue personally but I have heard a passengers phone ringing while we were about to take of and no one did anything. Real smart flight crew on that plane.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #54
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMD View Post
Flight attendants should be required by law to have a working knowledge of what the hell they are doing and how flight mode means the its safe to use while in flight. That is the purpose of it. Fortunately for me I have not run into this issue personally but I have heard a passengers phone ringing while we were about to take of and no one did anything. Real smart flight crew on that plane.
its actually not their job to know about electronics. i agree, if they mention wireless off, they should know what it is, but if they just say "turn off unapproved electronics, this includes cellular phones, etc" then its not the airline, or their responsibility, to be trained on new cellular technology. it makes things quite a bit easier on them if they just follow FAA and Airline policy, that way there isnt anything to debate.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #55
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
i just turn it on, keep it in my pocket now and use my bluetooth headset, noone can tell its not just an MP3 player. no more reading emails for me :( of course i just use my laptop now to read those emails so its all good.
You, sir, are using a wireless radio if you're using a bluetooth headset. Most bluetooth stereo headsets come with the wired cable option so that you can use them while on an airplane.

Please stop using Bluetooth, all wireless transmitting devices, as instructed. Thanks, and have a pleasant flight.

--Kidd
"Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God" (Mark 10:27)."
Old 02-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #56
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
You, sir, are using a wireless radio if you're using a bluetooth headset. Most bluetooth stereo headsets come with the wired cable option so that you can use them while on an airplane.

Please stop using Bluetooth, all wireless transmitting devices, as instructed. Thanks, and have a pleasant flight.

--Kidd
never had anyone say anything about bluetooth. and none of my bluetooth headsets, stereo or not, have a wired option. i have about 15 in my house right now, and would have had about twice that but my dog likes to eat them. As long as noone sees the phone they dont care.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #57
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I use my BB whenever JC is flying my plane! I wan to test his flying capabilities while I am BB messaging him
Old 02-17-2008, 11:38 PM   #58
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Alex is right. You technically shouldn't be using Bluetooth. They say "anything that transmits or receives a signal" so that certainly includes bluetooth. That being said, we use tablet PC's in our airplanes for electronic navigation charts. They have a GPS capability that allows you to have GPS overlayed on the charts. We're using bluetooth GPS (BT-359's)units sitting in the windscreen connected to the tablet PC's. Works great. No interference.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #59
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Alex is right. You technically shouldn't be using Bluetooth. They say "anything that transmits or receives a signal" so that certainly includes bluetooth. That being said, we use tablet PC's in our airplanes for electronic navigation charts. They have a GPS capability that allows you to have GPS overlayed on the charts. We're using bluetooth GPS (BT-359's)units sitting in the windscreen connected to the tablet PC's. Works great. No interference.
never had a flight attendant list anything other than cell phones. plenty of devices can support bluetooth transmitters now. if asked of course ill turn it off, but if they arent going to check then i am not going to bother.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #60
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I purposely didn't use my S9 because I didn't want to try and explain. The Flight Attendants will soon catch on.
Closed Thread