BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
MitchellBBPearl8230
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Anyone know of comprehensive alarms 3rd party?

Please Login to Remove!

The alarm feature in my new BBPearl 8230 is pretty bad. I've googled and found a lot of talk about it, the fact that we only get one alarm, so it's something a lot of people are frustrated about, including me <g>.

I put the freeware MyAlarm on my Pearl but I've found it to be very limited. Not only is it the fact that there are only 6 alarms but the interface is as clunky and inefficient as a whole lot of open source apps (not necessarily freeware. FW can look as good as, or better than commercial apps sometimes. But open source often has the choppy look of MyAlarm! <g>).

MyAlarm is good, though, but besides being limited to only 6, it doesn't pop up quite as well as BB Pearl's built-in one that comes up even when I've locked my Pearl (which I do when not in use).

On the plus side, we _can_ control MyAlarm in terms of how many times our chosen alarm sound will run (once, 5 times, 10 times).

But all the alarms I've found besides MyAlarm are not freeware but they also don't have trials available that I've been able to see.

Does anyone know of a good alarm program that has a nice, smooth interface in terms of streamlined and that perhaps acts more like the scheduler does? But that also has the ability to change alarm sound per alarm instance and that has flexibility to how many times it repeats, even in terms of how many minutes it will loop sound for? But that also, like MyAlarm, has multiple snooze options (MA allows you snooze alarm for 1 min, 5 min, 10 min and OFF)?

MyAlarm also has nifty feature, which built-in scheduler does not, of showing current time. Nice feature since you can always see actual time while you're setting the new one.

Anyway, here's hoping someone knows of something more comprehensive than either built-in or MyAlarm freeware.

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
GEneha

Model: 9000
Carrier: Airtel
Thumbs up Try All-in-One MultiAlarms from Empower

You can try Multialarms app from Empower. This app has Multiple Alarms, World Clock, Countdown Timers and StopWatch - all rolled into one, with an appealing user interface!

You can install the free trial of the app from http://ota.getempower.com using your BlackBerry browser. For more details about the app visit BlackBerry Threaded SMS, BlackBerry Call Blocker, Empower HTML Mail Viewer and more | GetEmpower
Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
MitchellBBPearl8230

Thanks, much appreciated! I'll give this one a try.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
MitchellBBPearl8230

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEneha View Post
You can try Multialarms app from Empower. This app has Multiple Alarms, World Clock, Countdown Timers and StopWatch - all rolled into one, with an appealing user interface!

You can install the free trial of the app from (link...) using your BlackBerry browser. For more details about the app visit (link...)
Ah, I see what I couldn't get it to work just now. I missed te phrase "Blackberry browser" the first time around. I don't have the right plan for this on my Pearl and I'm not going to get it, unfortunately (well, just for this one case). I don't have OTA capability.

I haven't found a trial that I could dl via the net to install "manually" on to my phone using my PC, the way I've done it for all apps I've tried so far.

Does anyone know of a link to a trial that doesn't require the BB browser? Thx.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
MitchellBBPearl8230

I seem to have figured out how to "install" Blackberry trial apps manually since I don't have a package with browser capability on my Pearl (my one way of escaping all the emails I get at home and work; I'm not chased around by emails when I'm away from home or work!! <lol>). But so far, no good alarm app has turned up. They all are lacking in one way or another.

The built-in alarm feature is actually one of the best for a couple of reasons - unlike all the alarm apps tried so far, none give user ability to turn the alarm off _without_ being _forced_ to unlock the phone FIRST! And I don't walk around without a locked cell phone! Big drawback to all of them. Only the built-in alarm can do that.

But the built in alarm has these two major flaws:
1. You can't customize the alarm sound for _different_ alarms. In other words, you get one alarm sound and one only! Arghhhh!

2. You can't limit the recurrence to just weekend days or weekdays. There's _only_ daily!! Hey, I need my wakeup alarm on the weekends to come on two hours AFTER the one on weekdays! Another argghhhh!!

But, hey, the alarms show up in the scheduler right alongside the regular scheduled items, just in a different colour. That is a really good feature!

As for the freeware, MyAlarm, it's okay but despite the very ugly interface, it only allows for 6 alarms. How stupid is that??!! I have a couple of very important alarms on it because it does allow me to customize the alarm sound and to limit the recurrences to either weekends or weekdays, but it's very poor beyond that.

Too bad re Multialarms app from Empower. The trials file links are for OTA files as only a JAD files get dl and no COD files. I'd like to try that one but so far, can't find a trial file to download that I can then install manually.

Well, will keep trying. I hope to eventually find an app that goes further than the alarm one in my Pearl.

Thx.

Last edited by MitchellBBPearl8230; 05-21-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

BBSmart - BBSmart Alarms Pro: Downloads
Old 05-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
MitchellBBPearl8230

Hi, thanks for the link, but as I mentioned in my previous post, this alarm app turned out to have a couple of major flaws, so no go.

Appreciate the link, though. But I did manage to find the app and dl it via PC and install it. Glad I can trial these because the ones that claim they're one of the best (a claim this app makes), they're often not true.

Still looking. I'll eventually find one, I know. It'll be a question of how long a time will pass till I do. <g>
Closed Thread