Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
dozzied66

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Time Zone feature

Please Login to Remove!

Reading lots of other closed threads, I must say the BB defenders are not very bright. When I travel, I want the phone to automatically update to the new timezone when I land. I put appointments on my calendar for when they happen (e.g. 9AM Eastern) When I arrive in California if the phone would automatically set to local time, my calendar will accurately show that the meeting is now at 6AM local time (even Microsoft has this thing figured out). So why doesn't RIM give me the option. I would expect that if there is a feature to automatically change time, that it would do so.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I must say that first time posters are not very bright either.

Wow.

Is it that hard to change the time? My watch doesn't change time.

And, if the bright first time poster had noticed, that feature (automatically resetting time zones) is in handheld OS 5.0.

But us "not very bright" BB defenders probably knew that already.

M F T P
Old 11-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Join a forum and immediately insult many of its members...

I'd say it's the bright ones who know to set an appointment using the time zone in which the appointment occurrs, and change the time zone setting when they travel to another time zone.

Don't want to do that? Fine. Just don't have a hissy fit.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I'm not so sure I would want my device to change time zones automatically. What if I lived not too far from a time zone change AND there was a tower that I connected to in the other timezone? I'll take my chances with changing it myself. Then I know it's right.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozzied66 View Post
Reading lots of other closed threads blah blah blah blah
Yawn.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I travel a lot and never need to change the zone. I prefer my original.

I bet you travel First Class and complain a lot.

"zpvs bo jejp"

Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

What is it lately with posts?
Did someone on an anti-Blackberry site prompt these?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbairdjr
What is it lately with posts?
Did someone on an anti-Blackberry site prompt these?
I know it's been a while now, but I blame it on the Pearl. When the blackberry became a fashion item, many people bought a blackberry having no idea what it is, and we see them on the forum.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozzied66 View Post
Reading lots of other closed threads, I must say the BB defenders are not very bright. When I travel, I want the phone to automatically update to the new timezone when I land. I put appointments on my calendar for when they happen (e.g. 9AM Eastern) When I arrive in California if the phone would automatically set to local time, my calendar will accurately show that the meeting is now at 6AM local time (even Microsoft has this thing figured out). So why doesn't RIM give me the option. I would expect that if there is a feature to automatically change time, that it would do so.
Because that assumes that the appointment involves people in the Eastern TZ as well.

Because we want the choice.

I travel a lot. The overwhelming majority of my appointments occur locally. I never change my TZ. During th eflight, I take 2 minutes and a) change the time on my watch, and b) change the time on my Berry. I'm funny that way. When I'm home, I like to look at next week's calendar and see that next Monday, I'll be in Vancouver and I have a 10:00am meeting. Not 1000PST, that shows as 1300EST, that I have to translate back. But hey, that's just me, and a few 10s of thousands of people like me I imagine.

And juwaack68 makes an excelent point.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68
I'm not so sure I would want my device to change time zones automatically. What if I lived not too far from a time zone change AND there was a tower that I connected to in the other timezone? I'll take my chances with changing it myself. Then I know it's right.
Here's the thing though. If you set your appointment in the time zone the appointment occurs, and your blackberry clock is correct for the time zone the blackberry is set in, then your calendar alert _will_ go off at the appropriate time relative to the real actual start of the appointment. That is, for example, if your appointment is a flight and your alert is set 30 minutes before, then the alert will occur 30 minutes before the flight if you use the time zone features properly. You can forget to adjust the time zone from your home to the airport time zone, and you can accidently set to the wrong zone when you adjust, but the alert will occur at the appropriate time.

I've actually dealt with the case of a nearby time zone boundary. If you are using your blackberry time display as your watch, that _is_ an issue. You wouldn't know which time zone the time represented if it could be swithching back and forth depending on what cell the device was connecting to as you travel along the boundary. But, your alerts will occur at the _real_ _actual_ time regardless. That is cool.

As someone else said (CanuckBB?), those dumb phones that are smart enough to change time, they don't change time zone. They just change time in the way you would adjust the time display on a simple clock. The blackberry has time zone capability. Big difference.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-16-2009 at 08:48 AM..
Old 11-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I must say that first time posters are not very bright either.

Wow.

Is it that hard to change the time? My watch doesn't change time.

And, if the bright first time poster had noticed, that feature (automatically resetting time zones) is in handheld OS 5.0.

But us "not very bright" BB defenders probably knew that already.

M F T P
My, how snide!

I think the OP was talking about all the old threads from pre-5.0. Those ones where all the BB torch carriers lynched anybody who suggested that the BB should be able to automatically update its own time zone setting.

Now, 5.0 is out and it has that capability and you sure don't see any of those same flamers coming out and decrying RIM for adding the feature (come on, people, aren't all those reasons you gave for why that feature was needless or bad still valid? huh??).

I'd bet a dollar that some of the same people who are jumping on the OP in this thread are the same ones that railed on people before for suggesting that their BB should have this feature.
Verizon 9550
Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I snidely responded to a snide first posting. Isn't that fair?

Wow...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Hey Stu, even with the added OS 5 feature, if you set your "other" timezone appointments in your current timezone, and then travel and your device changes the timezone automatically, you're gonna be screwed because your appointments will adjust based on the timezone in which they were saved.

So, unless one knows how to work that new feature, I can promise you it will cause just as many rant posts here complaining that their appointments were off because RIM screwed them with this new feature.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

The best news is that the new feature "Auto Update Time Zone:" has settings of on, off or prompt. So everyone can be happy (or unhappy).

Let the rants begin ("I can't load OS 5")...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
Hey Stu, even with the added OS 5 feature, if you set your "other" timezone appointments in your current timezone, and then travel and your device changes the timezone automatically, you're gonna be screwed because your appointments will adjust based on the timezone in which they were saved.

So, unless one knows how to work that new feature, I can promise you it will cause just as many rant posts here complaining that their appointments were off because RIM screwed them with this new feature.
I don't have a problem with people having complaints about the blackberry. What I object to are the people who mistake their opinions for fact, and the people who go on a rant about something they haven't thought about because they are so convinced of their own superior intellgence.

We'll see how the new optional time zone functionality works out. I personally don't know anything about it yet.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

How did I reply to JSanders when I thought I was repying to Stuart? I messed up.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-16-2009 at 09:55 AM..
Old 11-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You must be one of the BB defenders who are not very bright.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Definitely not as bright as I need to be with the wap version of the forum.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
The best news is that the new feature "Auto Update Time Zone:" has settings of on, off or prompt. So everyone can be happy (or unhappy).

Let the rants begin ("I can't load OS 5")...
Hey NJB, do you know if v 5.0 actually adjusts the time zone, or does it just adjust the time? I don't know, but want to.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I understand. It's a feature and if people use it without taking any time to understand it, they can screw themselves. That's life.

In this case, this seems to be exactly perfect for what the OP wants. Say you're in Atlanta and you schedule a conference call for 9:00am. You enter it in your calendar as normal, for 9am. Then you travel to LA. Your BB adjusts its timezone to Pacific time. But, you're meeting reminder will still go off at the right time (i.e. just before 9am East Coast time).

The only way you would screw yourself is if you enter an appointment for a certain time where it's the correct time for a different time zone than the one your BB thinks you're in. E.g. You're in Atlanta and you're going to be travelling to LA. You have meeting in LA at 9am local time. If you're in Atlanta (and your BB is set to East Coast time), and you just put the appointment in your Calendar for 9am (without also setting the appointment's Time Zone to Pacific), you'll be screwed.

Anyway, the point is, just like I said way back before 5.0 when people were talking about this (and many were arguing that the BB should NOT do this), the Auto TZ Update in 5.0 is a great feature to have. But, of course, if you don't use it correctly, you can shoot yourself in the foot.
Verizon 9550
Closed Thread