Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
mazzer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: o2
Angry That's it I've had enough !!!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

please beware of low flying BB7230, this is a great idea let down by awful poorly designed software, mark my words-RIM will end up putting software into nokia and ericsson 'cos they will STARVE if they keep bringing this heap of junk to market..you can't upgrade it - its not exactly user friendly, well after spending too much of my life trying to get it to do what i want it to -its going to be put down to experience-so long you poor crazy fools, im off to senf GROUP texts and get push emails and 'real' colour..with real office support......
Old 06-23-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Wow... signup here and make one post denouncing your blackberry.

How about sending group email as opposed to text messages?

What upgradability would you like? It's a business class device built with security in mind. If removable storage and such is more important than the security, maybe the US gov't would all have Treo's... oh, but if they drop it... ahhh nevermind.

I can view attachments from office on my handheld, can't you? If I want office support to the point where I can edit documents, I think I would consider that a job for my laptop.

The colour screens are not the best, but keep this in mind... RIM is slow to come out with flashy colour screens and superfast devices because of 1 thing and 1 thing alone. Power Consumption. I get 4 days of normal use, being 200-250 emails in, 100 emails out and 1/2 hour of voice per day on my 7290. I get about a week of battery under the same circumstances with my 6280.

There are definately some software upgrades that would be nice, but not enough to throw the handheld away. Maybe defaulting the messages app to a specific folder or things like that. Personally I like to see everything all in 1 place. The icons let me sort out what type of message it is.

More power to you if you want to change... Just don't drop your new device.

cd.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Well you can't please all I guess... Seeing this is your first post (look out incoming low flying berry ) Might I suggest the following:

1. Take a deep breath
2. How about a post of issues your trying to reslove?
3. By following no.2 maybe folks in the BBF community can assist?
4. Mark Rejhon has a couple excellent post which might provide guidence right away?

See here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3851
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=252
Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Enjoy your, uh, Treo (nope), Palm (nope), PPC (nope), Symbian phone (nope). Whatever.

Follow Finch's Instructions to the letter.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Enjoy your, uh, Treo (nope), Palm (nope), PPC (nope), Symbian phone (nope). Whatever.

Follow Finch's Instructions to the letter.
I think this is more along the lines of what he was looking for

Old 06-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzer
please beware of low flying BB7230, this is a great idea let down by awful poorly designed software, mark my words-RIM will end up putting software into nokia and ericsson 'cos they will STARVE if they keep bringing this heap of junk to market..you can't upgrade it - its not exactly user friendly, well after spending too much of my life trying to get it to do what i want it to -its going to be put down to experience-so long you poor crazy fools, im off to senf GROUP texts and get push emails and 'real' colour..with real office support......
This post just cracks me up... for so many reasons.
I love how people are so quick to dump a product and call it junk ... simply because they refuse to admit that they don't have the smarts to use it, or the will to RTFM.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
roofus

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Have you tried reading the manual?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Just the laugh I needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye

Old 06-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
aau007
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
please beware of low flying BB7230, this is a great idea let down by awful poorly designed software, mark my words-RIM will end up putting software into nokia and ericsson 'cos they will STARVE if they keep bringing this heap of junk to market..
RIM is working on BlackBerry Connect.

Quote:
you can't upgrade it
Do you know a pda/phone device you can upgrade other than firmware? Please share.

Quote:
- its not exactly user friendly,
This is so subjective.

Quote:
well after spending too much of my life trying to get it to do what i want it to -its going to be put down to experience
So, how long have you put up with it?

Quote:
-so long you poor crazy fools, im off to senf GROUP texts and get push emails and 'real' colour..with real office support......
So, now what is your solution to replace BlackBerry?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye

Well let's see;

can you upgrade it
is it exactly user friendly
will it do what i want it to
=== must be the device for him

or is it "going to be put down to experience"
Then he'll be "off to senf GROUP texts and get push emails and 'real' colour.." crayons, markers, a sandbox and "real office support......"

Then we'll all have to "beware of low flying Speak and Spell"
Old 06-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
The 7230 is an older model. The model 7290 has real 'color' and is preconfigured to have more features enabled out-of-the-box (TCP/IP, full Internet browser, etc), making it more user friendly.

It's possible you may have set your expectations about the BlackBerry too high though, considering the use of an older BlackBerry model. Different people have different expectations. Group texts hasn't been a buying consideration of mine.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-23-2005, 08:04 PM   #12
Jase88

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Wirelessly posted (7250: BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I happen to like the blackberry colour screen. While its not as sharp as some other devices, its very visible in a variety of lighting conditions--including bright sunlight. Not many other screens are capable of that (I.e. al la Treo, etc)
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #13
mcrendog

Model: 7290
Carrier: AT+T

I agree with some of the frustration. I have had nothing but problems with the BB software on my computer (Desktop, Redirector). But everything else has been great.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:25 PM   #14
99Vert
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Cingular

I went from Treo to PocketOS and now to BB, and I think this unit does what is suppost to do quite well.

Power consumption is great too...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #15
kaks25

Model: 7520

I think some people are quick to judge before giving BB a chance. It's a different OS. I'm rather new to BB and I too tried all the other handhelds. Right now, I'm just learning all that I can about my BB and experimenting with different types of software to fit my needs. No need to get frustrated...
Old 06-24-2005, 02:01 AM   #16
Brad00111
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300C
Carrier: ATT

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...lub+blackberry

I'm willing to bet its the same guy......just been scorned.

RIM 950 > Nextel 6510 > Nextel 7520 > Cingular 7100 > Cingular 8700 > Cingular 8800 > Cingular 8300
Old 06-24-2005, 02:59 AM   #17
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad00111
http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...lub+blackberry

I'm willing to bet its the same guy......just been scorned.
Can't be. I checked logs of both userid's and the IP addresses are in completely different countries!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 06-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #18
corey@12mile

Model: lots

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrendog
I agree with some of the frustration. I have had nothing but problems with the BB software on my computer (Desktop, Redirector). But everything else has been great.
Honestly, having setup desktop software and redirector on well over 100 machines, I have never had an instance where the redirector gave any problems on a healthy machine.

The only time I see desktop software and/or redirector have problems is when the machine has virus's, spyware, malware, etc. I hate to say it, but people who have issues with the redirector are the people who log on here and complain about issues they are having, and then they log onto ea.com and complain about the issues they have with a game, and then log onto whatever.com and complain about whatever.

I would bet my left nut that most people who are having issues with the desktop software and/or redirector are having far more problems than just that, but only vent about that one piece of the problem here.

cd.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 AM   #19
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Few people really understand the difference between causality and correlation and knowing the difference is key to troubleshooting versus simply assigning blame. However, even not knowing the difference it's clear that RIM is doing something right with millions of units sold. Either that, or their Kool Aid is really good. In any case, I have to agree that Desktop Manager is a stable app on stable systems.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear what mazzer's issues and expectations were. I mean, I'd be real disappointed with my Blackberry too if I tried to make toast with it. There is definitely quite a bit of misunderstanding even though his original post is vague. The Blackberries ARE upgradeable. I know this as I've upgraded many from 3.6 and 3.8 to 4.0. I'm sure his defintion is different but he never clarified. It is user-friendly, assuming that you take the time to understand how the thumbwheel and escape key work (it's not rocket science). This input method is perhaps not as simple as pointing with a stylus but I personally have always had problems with stylus-based devices as the digitizers fail or fall out of alignment.

Office document support is pretty weak on the Blackberry, but I view it as more of a bonus feature that one can even view documents in the first place. I'd like to see better support for viewing attachments in general as it's currently very time consuming and awkward, but I'd hardly ditch my Blackberry over this. I'm not sure what is meant by "real color" but the 7290 and other newer models definitely have significantly better screens.

I would like to know what other push email devices he's checking into...

Last edited by takeshi; 06-24-2005 at 08:11 AM..
Old 06-24-2005, 08:13 AM   #20
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

You cannot recommend someone use Email instead of SMS.

Group SMS is important, wether you know it or not - not everyone has a 'Berry on their hip but everyone has SMS.