Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
kippaxblue

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default 02 and sat nav

Please Login to Remove!

Being a complete newb to blackberry and these excellent forums, I have a couple of questions about sat nav and gps. I am on the 02 blackberry unlimited plan for £10 a month and am curious as to which other gps apps i can use besides the standard blackberry maps without incurring extra charge. I have heard that google maps is good and that there are a couple of free apps with voice. can these be used on the 02 plan and also what should I set the default browsing mode to e.g. gprs edge etc. many thanks in advance
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Is yours an Unlimited Data Plan (I don't know O2 plans)? If so, any of the other GPS applications will work. Check out the GPS section of this forum for other GPS applications to try.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
kellydcarter
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

I don't know O2 plans, either, but I've recently scrutinized my plan with Verizon Wireless. It's called an "Email and Web" plan that is NOT their "unlimited" plan. However, it easily allows for generous use of apps like Google Maps. Verizon draws the line at excessive audio/video streaming. I've copied-and-pasted from my blog the terms of my plan, in case you care to scan it.

So, maybe O2 has a plan similar to the one I have.

--------------------------------------------------------
From the Verizon Wireless magazine Nov/Dec/Jan 2007-2008:

Email and Web for BlackBerry plan ($29.99 ):

This plan/feature may ONLY be used with certain BlackBerry devices for the following purposes:

(i) Web browsing and
(ii) POP3 and IMAP email.

This plan MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following:

(i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games;
(ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or
(iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.

This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using this plan/feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to limit throughput speed or immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
tornadodivine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2

more about the o2 unlimited plan here

I believe the FUP is around 200mb a month. What you also need to make sure is that you don't have your APN settings to mobile.o2.co.uk as you will be charged for that data. The slower wap.o2.co.uk is included in the plan.

I'm using a freebie satnav on mine (with a puck) and haven't been billed any extra. Also, I don't think that you need to specifically set the browser to GPRS/EDGE. On mine, it flicks between the two depending on the strength of signal I guess. Hasn't affected the satnav anyway

And interesting, looks like they've dropped the 8120 for personal users and are now offering the 8110 which has GPS built in.