BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary19067 View Post
The web is nice to have.
For some of us, our clients would have an absolute hissy fit if we put information about their projects out on a public web site. From everything that I see, this bundle is exactly what I need -- but I need a secure, private desktop application. While I'm sure that Rex will tell us that they're secure -- and I'd be willing to bet that they are -- it isn't my opinion that counts. My clients rule on that decision. When is the Outlook interface coming?? Or even a separate desktop application with its own db.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #122
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
For some of us, our clients would have an absolute hissy fit if we put information about their projects out on a public web site. From everything that I see, this bundle is exactly what I need -- but I need a secure, private desktop application. While I'm sure that Rex will tell us that they're secure -- and I'd be willing to bet that they are -- it isn't my opinion that counts. My clients rule on that decision. When is the Outlook interface coming?? Or even a separate desktop application with its own db.
Agreed...moving sensitive project information outside the firewall is not going to endear you to the IT Security folks. While I use TDMX for project tracking I cannot get very detailed in what I specify even though Rex does have a secure encrypted server.

I am waiting (somewhat) patiently for them to announce their Outlook Task integration as that will allow me to use TDMX to its fullest. Also, while Outlook Tasks isn't perfect, the ability to assign and track milestone status is a requirement for cross functional project use. I could email the task to a Delagate but it is not the same as real time updates from the team members using Outlook.

With the above said, TDMX is still the best Blackberry Project Management client available bar none.

Last edited by bostonnerd; 05-24-2008 at 07:29 AM..
Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #123
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Agreed...moving sensitive project information outside the firewall is not going to endear you to the IT Security folks. While I use TDMX for project tracking I cannot get very detailed in what I specify even though Rex does have a secure encrypted server.

I am waiting (somewhat) patiently for them to announce their Outlook Task integration as that will allow me to use TDMX to its fullest. Also, while Outlook Tasks isn't perfect, the ability to assign and track milestone status is a requirement for cross functional project use. I could email the task to a Delagate but it is not the same as real time updates from the team members using Outlook.

With the above said, TDMX is still the best Blackberry Project Management client available bar none.
I do understand this point and think that it would be beneficial for them to provide some sort of offline way to move sensitive info besides the web, but how? They could create a desktop application that uses sockets to communicate from your PC to their servers, but you will still be passing info over the wire . Anyway you see it though, that info has to get to their servers somehow, unless they come out with something that would allow us to store it locally. I am agreeing with you but just not sure what they could do to fix it to allow data not to be pushed to them...
Old 05-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #124
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
I do understand this point and think that it would be beneficial for them to provide some sort of offline way to move sensitive info besides the web, but how? They could create a desktop application that uses sockets to communicate from your PC to their servers, but you will still be passing info over the wire . Anyway you see it though, that info has to get to their servers somehow, unless they come out with something that would allow us to store it locally. I am agreeing with you but just not sure what they could do to fix it to allow data not to be pushed to them...
Ultimately, I think that the solution requires a separate desktop app with a local db. If it could hook into Outlook at the highest level, that would be sweet, but frankly I would be willing to sacrifice that.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #125
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ultimately, I think that the solution requires a separate desktop app with a local db. If it could hook into Outlook at the highest level, that would be sweet, but frankly I would be willing to sacrifice that.
Yeah I was thinking along these lines as well. If things werent so tied to their infrastructure this could happen. But as we have seen with Rex, anything is possible - so fingers crossed!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #126
bostonnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy View Post
Yeah I was thinking along these lines as well. If things werent so tied to their infrastructure this could happen. But as we have seen with Rex, anything is possible - so fingers crossed!
Rex is a supurb development house that does indeed have an elegant product. Interestingly, they write of customers using TDMX on Submarines, aircraft carriers etc so they must have had a DOD security audit prior to use.

I'm still most interested in their Outlook Task implimentation. I'm currently doing project tracking with TDMX and Outlook tasks in parallel. Keeping both systems aligned has the potential for all kinds of errors on my part and I can't keep doing this as a long term solution.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #127
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Rex is a supurb development house that does indeed have an elegant product. Interestingly, they write of customers using TDMX on Submarines, aircraft carriers etc so they must have had a DOD security audit prior to use.

I'm still most interested in their Outlook Task implimentation. I'm currently doing project tracking with TDMX and Outlook tasks in parallel. Keeping both systems aligned has the potential for all kinds of errors on my part and I can't keep doing this as a long term solution.
I did that for a while (keep TMX/IMX and Outlook) and I thought it was just way too much work. So over time, I have been trying to develop a GTD system in TMX/IMX that could give me the workings of GTD but familiar use of Outlook. I have essentially tried to make TMX and IMX my PIM bypassing the native databases. I might have to re-evaluate this when the Outlook Sync gets done for TMX. If Rex can continue and add a couple of features like a today screen and maybe allow you to create other types of tasks like appointments,events,etc,. and link IMX, the apps could be put into a suite and sold to be a really really good PIM for the berry.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM   #128
djm2
BlackBerry Master

I personally would be willing to give up wireless sync and go with a USB sync to use this software if I could use it both on the BB and the desktop. I need the desktop because probably 65% of the changes would be made there. This would be similar to what I currently do with Ascendo DataVault.

I could probably also sell my clients on allowing wireless sync if all the Rex servers were doing was to serve as a conduit. While not optimally secure, I think that could fly/I could sell it. This would be especially true if the data were encrypted. (Actually, with encrypted data I might be able to store on their servers -- that might be the visible security step that my clients would need to see.)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #129
squeff

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Albitz View Post
OK. I'm confused. If I buy TDM, I get the device app, and six months of the REXdesktop, correct? If I want to keep the desktop app after 6 months, I have to buy it separately as a subscription?? It looks like REXdesktop is not only a desktop interface, but also does wireless sync and back up. What if I don't want/need the web & sync stuff, and I only want the device app and the desktop app (for ease of entry). Can I get that with out paying for the other stuff?

It seems to me that for $60, I should get the device app, and the matching desktop app. Wireless sync, back-up to REX, etc should be the extras I pay more for. To have to pay extra, on top of $60, to access my data on my desktop seems wrong. And to make it a subscription, so that I have to keep paying for that desktop access is even worse.

And I don't get device app updates unless I have the subscription??

Or am I mis-reading the pricing structure?? If I'm reading it right, it sure looks very expensive.

K
To be clear: there is no desktop software. There is only the web-based interface. You do need to subscribe to use that, after the "free" trial is over.

You get automatic backup to their servers forever, as far as I can tell (assuming that the company continues to exist).

While confusing, the web interface and the backup aren't the same thing. Related, but different.

But, no, there is no desktop app. Only the web interface that they call "desktop."
Old 05-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #130
bostonnerd

Quote:
Snipped...

I could probably also sell my clients on allowing wireless sync if all the Rex servers were doing was to serve as a conduit. While not optimally secure, I think that could fly/I could sell it. This would be especially true if the data were encrypted. (Actually, with encrypted data I might be able to store on their servers -- that might be the visible security step that my clients would need to see.)
According to the Rex site the data is Triple DES encrypted. See security FAQ at:
REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Support Center
Old 05-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #131
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Here is the explanation of the REX Desktop Pricing: REXwireless Software: Purchase ToDoMatrix IdeaMatrix ReferenceMatrix KnowledgeMatrix BlackBerry Applications

Follow that link and then look at the text inside the box in the second column from the left near the bottom of the page. It is pretty clear, actually. It's just that since we're not familiar with this type of software pricing, it tends to make us think too much about it.

If you use it, it is fairly inexpensive. If you don't really use, then you can drop the Desktop subscription and still get full use on your Blackberry device.

I do agree, though, that this makes a very expensive application even more expensive!

I'll probably be moving on to another platform altogether soon myself. One that has more - and thus less expensive - third party software and doesn't strip out HTML from my email messages.

Jim
Old 05-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #132
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930

Those ridiculous notices are annoying as f**** and there is no way to disable them. The inviariably get in the way when a quick note must be taken immediately. CS seems to have taken a position that this particularly distracting feature is necessary, thus TDX/IDX have become relegated to becoming a set of good programs and not great ones, IMHO. A known annoyance has not been properly dealt with for years - at least enable a switch to allow the end user to turn off those senseless notifications .
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #133
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281

I do agree that TDMX has great customer support and is a great application. My biggest disappointment is the lack of Outlook Integration. It has been "promised" and or talked about for almost a year now, hopefully soon we will see something from the Rex guys or from one of these other applications.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 05-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #134
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I have never dealt with a company as professional as Rexwireless. They have three outstanding products (Task, Idea and Alert Matrix) that i could not live without now.

And i don't work for them, just very happy with them.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #135
koleary19067

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtymes View Post
I do agree that TDMX has great customer support and is a great application. My biggest disappointment is the lack of Outlook Integration. It has been "promised" and or talked about for almost a year now, hopefully soon we will see something from the Rex guys or from one of these other applications.
I agree that this is a missing piece for them. However, they are aware of this and eventually will come out with an Outlook integration.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #136
koleary19067

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
Those ridiculous notices are annoying as f**** and there is no way to disable them. The inviariably get in the way when a quick note must be taken immediately. CS seems to have taken a position that this particularly distracting feature is necessary, thus TDX/IDX have become relegated to becoming a set of good programs and not great ones, IMHO. A known annoyance has not been properly dealt with for years - at least enable a switch to allow the end user to turn off those senseless notifications .
You can't knock them from great because of notices.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #137
tj13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary19067 View Post
I agree that this is a missing piece for them. However, they are aware of this and eventually will come out with an Outlook integration.
when i first started with TDM i really missed the outlook sync feature,after a few months of learning the program my thoughts have changed - i do not need outlook! at first i thought it was too much money but after using it i think its worth it.i am now going to purchase ideamatrix to compliment the TDM. i am never at my desk so why get tied to outlook...my BB is always with me and with such great programs to use i am much more productive.
-just my 2 cents-
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM   #138
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexguys View Post
It gets curious when one guy who is clearly not our customer shows up with clockwork regularity to say we are not very good.

So lets follow the trail of "funkym" to the logical conclusion that he is, in fact, the developer of taskmaster and nextaction.

Any chance that you can you stick to posting what's good about your products and what features you have that will help BlackBerry users? It would be better for everyone involved. Of course, the alternative is to talk your products up using a new alias while slamming everyone else...

Thanks,

--the REXguys--
I'm sorry you have to go through that exercise, Rexguys - I've been trying to intermittently call funkym on the same thing for over a year. Keep up the great work on a great series of products, and thanks for keeping the professional demeanor you have.

As an aside - forum moderators, I think Rexguys has made a pretty solid case for some pretty poor behavior on funkym's part. Is funkym's behavior in line with the appropriate use of the forums?
Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #139
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder33cat View Post
I'm sorry you have to go through that exercise, Rexguys - I've been trying to intermittently call funkym on the same thing for over a year. Keep up the great work on a great series of products, and thanks for keeping the professional demeanor you have.

As an aside - forum moderators, I think Rexguys has made a pretty solid case for some pretty poor behavior on funkym's part. Is funkym's behavior in line with the appropriate use of the forums?
I agree with previous posts and the quoted, Rex is very professional when dealing with any aspects of their products or customer service. Granted there are a lot of features wanted by many, and I think Rex does a good job of not doing what others do, which is over promise. They let you know what is capable and do not give you deadlines for good reason. Also I like that Rex does communicate notices of their products, maybe not with much fanfare, but obviously thats not what they're about. They're about producing quality products and providing excellent customer service. Rex, you all ARE doing an awesome job and please keep it up!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #140
rhart00
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

I have been testing both ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix during the trial periods. I am thoroughly enjoying them, but I am having an incredibly difficult time figuring out why I would need both. I have been using ToDoMatrix by itself because I can't figure out what real value I receive from IdeaMatrix that I can't do in ToDoMatrix.

I am thinking about purchasing one or the other. Right now I am leaning heavily towards ToDoMatrix. Could someone please enlighten me upon the reasons that I would need IdeaMatrix instead?
Closed Thread