Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Just installed Rogers Zen theme

Please Login to Remove!

Hi I just imstalled Rogers Zen theme. Are there any variations of this. I find the one from Rogers(which I installed via updating blackberry.alx) to be a bit boring. The fonts are not that cool and the gret background for the applications is not very cool either. I was using Bliss theme which I liked for fonts, etc. Can Zen theme do this yet?

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...Bruce
Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 PM   #2
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

You're post is a bit confusing to me. Are you asking if the Zen theme can use the Bliss background? If so, yes is the answer.

Secondly, if you just changed the Rogers alx file to unlock the Rogers theme on your BB, then you are not actually using the Zen theme. To get Zen you have to download the Bharti OS file and install it, and unlock the Zen theme in that alx file. The complete instructions are linked in my signature if you are interested. The Zen theme has icons on the side, like this:

Old 03-31-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
You're post is a bit confusing to me. Are you asking if the Zen theme can use the Bliss background? If so, yes is the answer.

Secondly, if you just changed the Rogers alx file to unlock the Rogers theme on your BB, then you are not actually using the Zen theme. To get Zen you have to download the Bharti OS file and install it, and unlock the Zen theme in that alx file. The complete instructions are linked in my signature if you are interested. The Zen theme has icons on the side, like this:

Thanks for the quick reply. I am sorry for not being straight forward either. My note was rather convoluded.

I did merely update the Rogers Blackberry.alx file. I am a little hesitant to install the Bharti OS however. Would this not cause problems since I would be using an OS from another supplier. Would the download of the Bharti cause problems with Roger's dependent confiuration? I certainly would not want to render my Blackberry useless by installing an OS from anotehr country and providor for that matter.

Once again I look forward to your reply. I am getting confused with this whole Bharti OS and how it would work in Canada.

Thanks....

...Bruce
Old 03-31-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Seattle18

You aren't the first to feel gun-shy about it, believe me. (Right, lgreenberg???) But I can tell you that you will be very happy with the upgrade. It will not cause any problems with Rogers, and it will certainly not render it useless. It only improves, and will not cause any negative effects at all. It is merely adding some minor components to your existing setup, nothing more. It will have the same basic BlackBerry platform, as the download comes directly from BlackBerry. The only difference is that some countries/service providers offer different themes and background images than others. I simply am taking one specifically deisgned for another service provider and installing on my own. Just keep in mind that all of these are downloaded directly from BlackBerry - they are not hacks. you will see when you go to the download site that you are on BlackBerry's official download page. Trust me, take the plunge, follow the directions precisely, and you will be thanking me later. If for some crazy reason you decide you don't like it, I will help you get back to your original factory settings.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I am took the plunge and I love it as well. I was hesitant at first I will admit, but I love the sleek look and the userfriendly layout. IMO it is much better than the Cingular Theme. Besides, reverting back to you old OS wont be hard
Old 03-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
You aren't the first to feel gun-shy about it, believe me. (Right, lgreenberg???) But I can tell you that you will be very happy with the upgrade. It will not cause any problems with Rogers, and it will certainly not render it useless. It only improves, and will not cause any negative effects at all. It is merely adding some minor components to your existing setup, nothing more. It will have the same basic BlackBerry platform, as the download comes directly from BlackBerry. The only difference is that some countries/service providers offer different themes and background images than others. I simply am taking one specifically deisgned for another service provider and installing on my own. Just keep in mind that all of these are downloaded directly from BlackBerry - they are not hacks. you will see when you go to the download site that you are on BlackBerry's official download page. Trust me, take the plunge, follow the directions precisely, and you will be thanking me later. If for some crazy reason you decide you don't like it, I will help you get back to your original factory settings.
Seattle,

What other improvements can I expect? And what themes and backgrounds can I expect with Bharti? Can you tell me how to revert back to original settings just in case?

Thanks for your help on this.

...Bruce
Old 03-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Seattle is the man....trust the gecko, do the upgrade
Old 03-31-2006, 10:02 PM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

If your current Rogers handheld OS supports the Zen theme (which it appears that it does), then stay with it. You won't gain anything additional by upgrading to Bharti or Orange UK or anyone else, for that matter (unless a new OS comes out with some additional features).
Old 03-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
If your current Rogers handheld OS supports the Zen theme (which it appears that it does), then stay with it. You won't gain anything additional by upgrading to Bharti or Orange UK or anyone else, for that matter (unless a new OS comes out with some additional features).
I don't think it does support it. Hius initial post was confusing, and after I posted images of the Zen in use he did not tell me that is what he has. I am pretty sure the Rogers build does not have a locked Zen alx in it. But, if I am wrong and he does have it and just unlocdked it or needs to , then I agree - no need for Bharti, unless the Rogers version did not improve the sound volume and fix the speakerphone volume bug.

Bruce, assuming you DO NOT have the actual Zen theme (look in Themes for BB-Dimension Zen) then you will need to follow all the steps in my post for the upgrade. If you DO have the Zen theme already installed, then you are good to go.

I still feel like I need some clarification from you. Do you have a BB-Dimension Zen theme in your Theme list or do you not???
Old 04-01-2006, 02:18 AM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Assuming he has the release OS for the 8700r, then you would be correct. However, I believe they recently started shipping with the new OS that was released a week or two ago (.280), which would have the Zen theme.

P.S. - Why does your EDGE keep turning to edge? I see its a poor signal, but wouldn't that mean its losing connection to the RIM infrastructure?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #11
bruceweinstein
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Responses to my confusion

I apologize for the confusion. I guess I have not made myself clear. KInda did the postings in a hurry. Will take more time next time in order to avoid the questions. Hereis the play-by-play of what I had done.
  1. My Rogers 8700r did not show ZEN them in the themes list.
  2. I then modified the blackberry.alx file to include the ZEN theme according to jibi's(I think that is his name) posting
  3. Updated phone using DM and now ZEN theme appears.
  4. Tested ringer volume by choosing High, Medium and Low. It seems to work now.

More Questions
  1. How does adding ZEN theme fix the ringer problem as well?
  2. I was wondering if the menu background color could be changed? Right now it shows the basic grey. I guess what I am asking here is are there any ZEN themes available that modify this to a more appealing color/look.
  3. Like the BLISS theme available on this forum(somewhere) is there a ZEN theme that changes the fonts from what Blackberry includes?
Hope this clears up some of the questions I instilled with my lack of clarity.

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...Bruce

Last edited by bruceweinstein; 04-01-2006 at 09:07 AM..
Old 04-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r

Does rogers not support the zen theme in their .028 release? My understanding is that some have installed the zen theme without installing the bharti os?

Also, if unlocking the zen theme involves changing the vendor ID simply, then wouldn't the vendor ID for rogers already be set at 107 thus not requiring a hack?

Last edited by ShaneToronto; 04-06-2006 at 10:25 AM..
Closed Thread