Old 08-18-2005, 10:35 AM   #1
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Turn Wireless Off / Data Connection Refused

Please Login to Remove!

Question 1
There is a Turn Wireless off feature on the BB 7250 that I thought would turn the Wireless data BB service off but when you turn the wireless off you can not get phone calls either? Is there a way to turn the data off but keep the voice on?

Question 2
My office is on the outer edge of the Verizon Service but more times than not I have no problems, but sometimes I will see a message that states "Data Connection Refused" and I am no longer able to get data but I have no problems getting voice. To get the data connection back I have to use the Turn Wireless Off feature to turn the wireless off and then back on again before it will again get a data connection. Even if I drive to town and park right beside the verizon tower I have full bars but data never automatically reconnects until I use the Turn Wireless Off feature. I have not traveled too far just yet with my BB, but I can see this being a problem as I drive from state to state and as I get on the outer edges of the data service area, I will lose my data connection and find myself driving and trying to use the Turn Wireless Off/On feature to get my data connection back every so often........NOW, is there a way to force the BB 7250 to reconnect to the data service rather than me doing it manually?

Thanks!

Kindness Is The Ability To Love
Old 08-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Question 1:

Not that I know of.

Question 2:

I have no idea.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
kg4peq
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Sprint PCS Blackberry 7250: BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Your Data Connection Refused message is because your phone is slipping off onto another carrier (roaming) while in the fringe coverage area. While your voice service will work fine, AFAIK Verizon does not have any 1xRTT data roaming agreements. Therefor, the connection will be refused. I get this in the rare event I lose Sprint coverage and my BB lands on the Alltel or Verizon network.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
kg4peq

Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (Sprint PCS Blackberry 7250: BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Your Data Connection Refused message is because your phone is slipping off onto another carrier (roaming) while in the fringe coverage area. While your voice service will work fine, AFAIK Verizon does not have any 1xRTT data roaming agreements. Therefor, the connection will be refused. I get this in the rare event I lose Sprint coverage and my BB lands on the Alltel or Verizon network.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
mwexler

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Actually, I get the Data Connection Refused all the time. I am a verizon user in the Boston area, and I've found that the moment the phone doesn't have 2 or more bars, I am very likely to get the DCR message. I suspect the security system is continually checking to see if the phone is "allowed", and if it gets a messy message, it shuts off access.

Like you, I just turn off wireless, wait a moment, turn it back on, and I can get reconnected for a while. I suspect that a program could be written which would check every ten minutes if DCR, then "flip" the connection... but I have no idea how to write such a thing.

As far as your first question, the whole point of the "turn wireless off" is to terminate its connection, primarily for airplanes, but also when you want to conserve power. Since its mostly for airplanes, the turning off of all wireless connection is what it was designed to do. I doubt there is an either/or option.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
zuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4peq
This sounds consistent with what I've experienced, as well. I've occasionally had the DCR message as well when I've been traveling. I dialed 611 at the time from my Verizon 7250 and got a "Welcome to Sprint" greeting.

Once I disabled/renabled wireless to get data connectivity back, dialing 611 got a Verizon recording instead.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #7
shadowlesss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwexler
Actually, I get the Data Connection Refused all the time. I am a verizon user in the Boston area, and I've found that the moment the phone doesn't have 2 or more bars, I am very likely to get the DCR message. I suspect the security system is continually checking to see if the phone is "allowed", and if it gets a messy message, it shuts off access.
This is what is happening to me...I sit in my office on the Verizon Network (NOT Roaming) and when it goes to 2 bars the data connection refused comes up and I just stop and restart it and I get more bars for a while and it happens again....this only happens about 2 times a day when in my office, (NOT TRAVELING). So the the roaming is not what I am talking about here..I just made the traveling statement because this looks like it would be a problem when traveling which is what this BB is supposed to be made for, the mobile user! I agree there needs to be some type of feature that checks for this and then tries to reconnect every so so often.

Kindness Is The Ability To Love
Old 08-18-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
fireman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

I too had this problem and it was explained to me like this. When you receive the 1X signal and there could be another 1x signal that is closer/stonger it will knock out your data. When the 1X becomes stronger than the 1x it will switch back. This is sort of a pain when you travel and it keeps knocking the data and the phone out. I have been able to receive/dial out on the phone even when the data tries to connect, it seems really wierd.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #9
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Maybe setting the network to Manual and not letting it roam would fix this?

cd.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
DTR

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

i attempted taht and it did not work. we have about 50+ BB's in our office and it occured in all of them in the span of 20 minutes. it was T-Mobiles error though. i currently have one and it has the same error and even T-Mobile doesnt know.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
keith

Model: 7250

I have the same problem with Verizon/BB7250. I hope this bug can be worked out.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:24 PM   #12
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

If I had to guess again, I would guess that there were not enough channels available on the closest cell site to handle connections from 50 handhelds, in addition to whatever other handhelds are close to the site. I know on Rogers GSM/GPRS network, there is always 1 frequency with 8 channels dedicated to data, but if the other frequencies are tied up with voice, and you have more than 8 GPRS clients, someone ain't gonna be happy...

cd.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
erobison

Model: 7100g

That was a chronic problem for one of our 7750's on Verizon. I cleared it by running the OTA programming (*228, send). Seems to be working...<knock on wood>
Closed Thread