Old 05-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #201
Technocracy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waythos View Post
I was a long-time PI user until I moved over to BB. My question is, since I still have a valid Rgistration number, for the PI, would I be allowed to utilize it (PI) for my BB?
No idea, my friend.

You better ask @ WebIS forums. (Check my reply post above for the link.)
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #202
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Pardon me if this was asked and answered. How does it compare with Pocket Day which I have?
I've been a PD user since their first Beta. PD is more of a Today screen replacement while PI is geared more to a complete BB internal PIM replacement. I see the two as complimentary as opposed to competitive. I will end up using both apps frequently.

PD for a quick always there glance at my day and PI for detailed PIM access.
Interesting response. So I need to compare PI to the RIM/Native PIM, as opposed to PD?

I never thought of it that way.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #203
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

pocket day is like a "dashboard" with all relevant info on one screen with user choice.

PI is only a PIM management software.
I am inclined to stay with Pocket Day exclusively because it puts everything all together nicely on one screen.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #204
unreal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
PI is only a PIM management software.
I am inclined to stay with Pocket Day exclusively because it puts everything all together nicely on one screen.
It's "only" a PIM management software?" Give me a break... a PIM product does MUCH more than a dashboard app. The two products were never intended to compete with one another... in fact, you can undoubtedly use the two together without any problems. As for it putting "everything" nicely on one screen, does PD put access to all your contacts, tasks, and calendar items on one screen? Generally my experience has been that PD is great for a "snapshot" of your day or of the week, but it doesn't do anything as far as managing the contacts, tasks, and events that you need to work with each day. I guess if all you are doing is looking at your day's calendar, then you don't need PI. But if you are working with any of those items (tasks, events, contacts) and plan to do anything with them other than just monitor them, then PI is a far superior product from that perspective, and does much, much more than a simple dashboard app.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #205
ixtab
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

PD does give you Email, Calls, Calendar, Tasks, SMS and Memos all on the same screen (and more: Weather, Stocks, World Times, RSS, Sports), so the only missing thing compared to PI is the integration with Contacts.

So I don't think they are really that different.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #206
squeff
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
PD does give you Email, Calls, Calendar, Tasks, SMS and Memos all on the same screen (and more: Weather, Stocks, World Times, RSS, Sports), so the only missing thing compared to PI is the integration with Contacts.

So I don't think they are really that different.
I think the problem here is that we have people who simply don't know what PI is or what it's (eventually) supposed to do.

While I can't say much, I'll simply offer this: PI is an application that's for MANAGING your calendar/tasks/contacts, as well viewing this information in different ways. PD is more of a snap-shot application, for viewing.

Yes, PD allows you to create and edit. Yes, PD allows you to see different views.

However, PI goes beyond the basics that PD offers.

Wait until it's released. Hopefully, they'll offer a free trial. If it doesn't offer anything above what PD does for you, then it's not for you.

Personally, I love PD, but find it lacking in a few areas related to PIM. From what I've seen of PI, thus far, it fills some of the holes. And, from what I hear about what's planned, it'll fill even more.

On the other hand, maybe PD will have a new version out that'll add more to the PIM functionality.

In any case, I see them as complementary (having used both). My only hope is that they end up working nicely together (i.e., PD will support some of the "new" data fields that PI will offer).

Think of it this way: PD is like CNN. You get all the news, if you listen to Wolf Blitzer and read the crawl. PI is like the researchers that are gathering the news and putting it into a format that Wolf can read.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #207
ixtab
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

As a PI user on the pocketpc since PI's initial release I can honestly say it is a matter of personal taste. Having used both (and I did use PI longer than I am using PD) I tend to agree that they can complement eachother, but I think that for the average user it will still be a choice between the two (competing when it comes to basic view/edit capabilities), and each will have its pros and cons.

[QUOTE=squeff;955911]I think the problem here is that we have people who simply don't know what PI is or what it's (eventually) supposed to do.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #208
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

[QUOTE=ixtab;955925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeff View Post
I think the problem here is that we have people who simply don't know what PI is or what it's (eventually) supposed to do.
AGREED!!!!!!

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #209
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

no I do know what PI is - I owned it with Palm and WM - PD is still a more concise, more intuitive app.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 PM   #210
Technocracy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Generally speaking, a PIM allows management of Appointments, Contacts and Tasks (some include Notes) as other apps may do. The major difference is in the relationships you can create between items across data groups.

For example, you may create an Appointment while looking at a Contact. Depending on functionality or setup, the Contact name and primary phone number or address may be automatically entered in the Appointment subject line. Or a link to the Contact may be created in the Appointment, allowing direct access to all the Contact data right from the Appointment.

Some go as far as allowing, say, for a given Contact, to see all the Appointments or Tasks ever made related to it.

Such relationships are difficult to accomplish with individual Appointments, Contacts or Tasks applications.

Features like categories; category icons and colors; sorting by date (start, due, or actual completion), priority or category; view options (for appointments: agenda, day, week, month [plus year in some]); status; delegation; etc. substantially add icing to the cake…

But, all this boils down to a matter of preference or needs: Not everyone needs such firepower.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Technocracy; 06-04-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #211
Technocracy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking Pocket Informant Public Preview.

Folks:

WebIS has posted a public preview version of Pocket Informant. The web page that follows contains the link for downloads: Pocket Informant For Blackberry Preview - WebIS, Inc. Forums

N-joy.

Last edited by Technocracy; 07-24-2008 at 03:31 PM..
Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #212
mdlissner

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

For those that have been waiting jump in and take a look - I would like to see your feedback as the private beta team has been pounding on this to make it better for a while. The team at WebIS has done a great job!

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 07-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #213
Drfreeman82

Model: 9000

Thanks mdlissner, I am using the preview now and this program is awesome so far. I tried agendus, and it wont even load on my blackberry but I can tell that WebIS put a lot of work into PI.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #214
webis

Carrier: Cingular

Glad to hear you like the results of our efforts. We're not done yet and we just figured it was time to give people the use of the software. It does expire September 1st.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 AM   #215
Soxfan04
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I have been anxiously waiting for this application. I just downloaded and so far I am impressed with what I see.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:57 AM   #216
PDM

Model: 9900

My initial impression is quite good too...

Noticed a couple of things that have probably been reported; maybe isolated issues :
i) PocketInformant "dies" with error 169 when Google Sync (v0.4.4) is syncing.
ii) All my future tasks with a relative reminder have alarm set to 1/1/1970 00:10 or 00:30am (my relative reminders were 10 or 30 mins prior to "deadline")

Good to see that its not over-bloated with irrelevant functionality not associated with Cal/Tasks.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #217
daqie

Model: 9800
PIN: 27C9B8C1
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up

I was a religious PI user on Pocket PC. When I moved to the Blackberry several years ago, PI was the one program I missed the most. I'd absolutely love for PI for the Blackberry!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #218
celly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Bell
Cool

Sweet. I used PI on a Windows Mobile equipped Dell Axim for a while. I loved the program. Hated the Operating System.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:20 PM   #219
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocracy View Post
Folks:

WebIS has posted a public preview version of Pocket Informant. The web page that follows contains the link for downloads: Pocket Informant For Blackberry Preview - WebIS, Inc. Forums

N-joy.
Is this a beta version we can use for now?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #220
webis

Carrier: Cingular

Not a beta - a public preview. A beta means we're taking bug reports and discussion and so on. We're not yet. We've got a very active private beta going on, but we're aware of some bugs and so we're at a preview. And yes you *can* use it now until September 1st at which point it expires.
Closed Thread