ELBeast
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Question on Upgrade to 4.1.4 using Groupwise

Please Login to Remove!

(Going from 4.06. to 4.1.4)

Hi, so I'm preparing for upgrading soon, having pretty much gone down the checklist. I just installed the Groupwise Client 7.0.3, my question is can I use the old Trusted Application Key or do I have to generate a new one?

Reason I'm asking is because the old server uses GW 6.5SP7 and the Object API mode. I'm planning on using the SOAP API instead. Is the hash that is created specific to a particular version of the application or does Novell just care that there is a trusted application key?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
jcrawfor

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

A couple things:

1. Yes, you can use the same old trusted key even if your server is running 7.0.x now and you are using SOAP. I have been using the same trusted key since the initial release of BES for GW.

2. I believe you still want the most current version of the 6.5.7 client on your bes server. Even though the server should not be using the api any more the install guide still recommends 6.5.7. Of course, GW administrators (myself included) prefer to lockout old GW clients because of the obscure man in the middle attack. Unfortunately, rim has not updated the api part of the software and they still require the 6.5.7 api.

I hope this helps,

Jeff

Last edited by jcrawfor; 04-17-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
ELBeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrawfor View Post
Wirelessly posted

A couple things:

1. Yes, you can use the same old trusted key even if your server is running 7.0.x now and you are using SOAP. I have been using the same trusted key since the initial release of BES for GW.

2. I believe you still want the most current version of the 6.5.7 client on your bes server. Even though the server should not be using the api any more the install guide still recommends 6.5.7. Of course, GW administrators (myself included) prefer to lockout old GW clients because of the obscure man in the middle attack. Unfortunately, rim has not updated the api part of the software and they still require the 6.5.7 api.

I hope this helps,

Jeff
Jeff,
First off; thank you for the reply, that answered my question. I'll admit it seems that some people choose to stick with the GW 6.5.7 client while others use the 7.0.3 client. In the RIM documentation for 4.1.4 is does mention that you should install 6.5.7 if you plan on using the Object API. While 7.0 SP1 IR1 is recommended for use with the SOAP API. I think I'll try my luck with 7.0.3 and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
johnb@hslda.org

Model: 8310
Default Bug(s) in BES 4.1.4 for GroupWise

We installed BES 4.1.4 hoping to fix address book synch issues; it seems to have fixed that bug but THERE IS A NEW BUG confirmed by a RIM support tech to be known in 4.1.4 even before 4.1.4 was released... deleting a contact in GroupWise takes 24 hours to complete on the handheld.

A bug we've not yet confirmed reported by users- including users in our tech dept, which usually confirm : ) - is that message status synching is either not reliable or is very slow in synching.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
earny99

Model: 9000

I've noticed the 24 hr delay also but it's not as bad as the 4 hour window to update/add contacts with OAPI. Anyone have any issues with contacts in general on sp4 with SOAP?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
blueshockeynut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

We havent seen any issues with contacts in general on 4.1.4 since we did the upgrade. Seems to be an average of 20 minutes for the an update to occur on the devices now.
Never think great is good enough.
NEVER FOLLOW.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
ELBeast

Okay so I upgraded to 4.1.4 this weekend, overall the upgrade went very smooth, the only issue I ran into was that there was a 30 minute delay when sending emails from my groupwise client on my PC. If I sent myself an email via my BB the email arrived in my GW inbox almost immediately. However if I sent it from my PC, it took between 30-40 minutes on average for it to arrive on my BB. I called RIM TS and they stated that sometimes the SOAP API doesn't work for some people. I informed them that the RIM docs state that SOAP API is recommended if you're using the GW client 7.0.1ir and later. The tech support person reiterated that they knew that this is was the documentation stated, however what they (Tech Support) had encountered was that it "sometimes works" Well, maybe you should put out a bulletin or something!?! Anyways, I ended up rebooting the server and after about an hour or two the email delay went away. I guess the database just needed time to flush itself out, now the BES is running like a champ. Emails are waay faster than before, just thought I would share in case anyone else runs into this issue while upgrading.
Closed Thread