Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
Activator
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default 8100 on Cingular and brief SLVR comparison

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all-

I am a happy new Pearl owner and just wanted to relate my painless experience getting an 8100t working on Cingular and a quick comparison with the Moto SLVR, which is the Pearl's direct rival in size and beauty.

1. I looked on eBay for about 2 weeks and finally decided that paying $25 extra to buy from Adam at gpsphonesource.com was worth it for the peace of mind. The phone arrived in less than 24hrs (NYC area) but was not un-locked. Adam responded to my email in less than 10 minutes with the unlock code and detailed instructions. Worked perfectly.

2. I called Cingular customer service and added the Unlimited BIS to my number for $29.99/mo. The CS operator was great and deleted my data package (with a pro rated refund) and added the BIS package (also pro rated). She gave me a Cingular BlackBerry-specific tech phone number as well.

3. I logged on to Cingular's Blackberry site and registered my BIS account. Set up a Blackberry email address. Then downloaded the Cingular service books with one click. Now my 8100 shows "Cingular" as the carrier and full EDGE service. (I also changed the Cingular WAP settings as described elsewhere on this forum.)

4. Surfed, checked email, etc. All works great! I haven't tried MMS yet, but I looked at the service books on the phone, and the MMS books are installed, so I think it should work.

As for the Pearl vs SLVR:

The Moto SLVR, is an awesome phone with great features and POP email, but it is just not a "smartphone" replacement. Almost... but not quite. (I had a Treo before, and thought I could live with the SLVR).

The Pearl is smaller in height, the same width and a millimeter or so thicker than the SLVR. Amazing, considering the SLVR is one of the smallest non-smart phones made. The Pearl is also .5 oz. lighter. I have the admit that the SLVR is all aluminum, and it feels a bit more robust and scratch-resistant, but the Pearl is so light that it is nearly imperceptable in my pocket!

The keyboard is nicer on the Pearl. I have to get used to the QWERTY layout, but in a few days, it should be no problem. The SLVR keyboard is super slim, but also hard to type on because it is flat... I generally used my fingerNAIL, rather than the tip. The Pearl keyboard is more finger-tip friendly.

The screen on the Pearl is a bit bigger and brighter than the SLVR. I like it.

So I am a happy camper. The Pearl is smaller and lighter than my SLVR, and does SO much more! So far the Cingular setup was painless. Now if I can get PocketMac to work reliably, it will be a slam-dunk!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Good review!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
phungy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: iFone
Carrier: AT&T™

Good write-up!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
thepoutypanda

Location: New Orleans and New York City (Two weeks a month in each city!)
Carrier: Tmobile

My sentiments exactly (I had the SLVR before)! But I was using an unlocked SLVR on T-Mobile. Couldn't send movies or pictures -_-. Loving the Pearl, though!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
JeffAUV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

The SLVR is a neat toy, but next to the Pearl, it's basically useless. Mine is sitting in a drawer in my kitchen right now.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
kmccarthy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAUV
The SLVR is a neat toy, but next to the Pearl, it's basically useless. Mine is sitting in a drawer in my kitchen right now.
why in your kitchen lol
Old 10-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
diginixy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: E90
PIN: 241EE8C0
Carrier: The T-Mob

That's funny, I did the same thing. I also own a SLVR unlocked on T-mobile network. I was using a 7105T, and only used my SLVR on weekends, because it was easier to fit in my pocket, say at a bar or what not. But now that I have the pearl, and the dimensions are so similar, I no longer have a need for my SLVR. SO to ebay it goes
Old 10-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Activator

Carrier: Cingular

Some more thoughts after another day with the Pearl:

I found that SMS was not working, but a 5 minute call to Cingular - which involved giving them the last 4 digits of my SIM card and turning the phone off then on again - got SMS working! Still haven't tried MMS, but I have a feeling it'll work, especially now that Cingular has fully enabled things. This particular operator did inquire as to "where" I got the phone - a little suspicious - but I just feigned ignorance and changed the subject.

I think the Pearl's handset volume is just fine, contrary to some threads on this board and 'net reviews (CNET). The SLVR volume was initally low, and I had to use a "SEEM" editor to raise it, but then I always had issues with callers hearing an "echo"... Now, callers say the Pearl sounds great, and they sound nice and crisp and clear to me as well!

The voice dialing is SUPERB! On the SVLR you have to "record" the person's name and then say it pretty much EXACTLY the same way to get pseudo "voice dialing". (And you have to record one for EACH contact.) With the Pearl, I can just say dial "8-6-7-5-3-0-9", and before I know it, Jenny's on the phone!

I'm growing to LOVE the trackball. What a great idea! So much more intuitive than a left-right-up-down toggle. And my phone has no in-pocket "missed calls" issues... (It must have a later OS? v4.2.0.42)

I got PocketMac to work for my Contacts, but my iCal won't sync at all. The contacts were a biggie, and I'm happy that worked, but I still want/need calendar sync. Hopefully soon. At least PocketMac is now FREE for BlackBerry owners through the BB web site.

Oh, and the "Dimension Today Plus" theme is awesome! Very nice. I just changed the font size to 8 instead of 9 point.

Ummm...I guess that's it for now!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
untjoker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activator
Hey all-

I am a happy new Pearl owner and just wanted to relate my painless experience getting an 8100t working on Cingular and a quick comparison with the Moto SLVR, which is the Pearl's direct rival in size and beauty.

1. I looked on eBay for about 2 weeks and finally decided that paying $25 extra to buy from Adam at gpsphonesource.com was worth it for the peace of mind. The phone arrived in less than 24hrs (NYC area) but was not un-locked. Adam responded to my email in less than 10 minutes with the unlock code and detailed instructions. Worked perfectly.

2. I called Cingular customer service and added the Unlimited BIS to my number for $29.99/mo. The CS operator was great and deleted my data package (with a pro rated refund) and added the BIS package (also pro rated). She gave me a Cingular BlackBerry-specific tech phone number as well.

3. I logged on to Cingular's Blackberry site and registered my BIS account. Set up a Blackberry email address. Then downloaded the Cingular service books with one click. Now my 8100 shows "Cingular" as the carrier and full EDGE service. (I also changed the Cingular WAP settings as described elsewhere on this forum.)

4. Surfed, checked email, etc. All works great! I haven't tried MMS yet, but I looked at the service books on the phone, and the MMS books are installed, so I think it should work.

As for the Pearl vs SLVR:

The Moto SLVR, is an awesome phone with great features and POP email, but it is just not a "smartphone" replacement. Almost... but not quite. (I had a Treo before, and thought I could live with the SLVR).

The Pearl is smaller in height, the same width and a millimeter or so thicker than the SLVR. Amazing, considering the SLVR is one of the smallest non-smart phones made. The Pearl is also .5 oz. lighter. I have the admit that the SLVR is all aluminum, and it feels a bit more robust and scratch-resistant, but the Pearl is so light that it is nearly imperceptable in my pocket!

The keyboard is nicer on the Pearl. I have to get used to the QWERTY layout, but in a few days, it should be no problem. The SLVR keyboard is super slim, but also hard to type on because it is flat... I generally used my fingerNAIL, rather than the tip. The Pearl keyboard is more finger-tip friendly.

The screen on the Pearl is a bit bigger and brighter than the SLVR. I like it.

So I am a happy camper. The Pearl is smaller and lighter than my SLVR, and does SO much more! So far the Cingular setup was painless. Now if I can get PocketMac to work reliably, it will be a slam-dunk!
I had the SLVR for a few weeks back in the day and can honestly say it's not even a close comparison. It's about the same as comparing a honda Accord to a Corvette, and not just in looks either. The SLVR barely goes to any website that isn't WAP enabled, and is quite slow at the WAP sites as well. I had an unlocked version which didn't have any carrier imposed internet limitations and it still was horrible. NOt to mention the atrocious battery life, horrible keys, and lack of any decently timed email. You have made a wise decision my friend, the Pearl is the Cadillac of blackberrys and just plain rules.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
thepoutypanda

Location: New Orleans and New York City (Two weeks a month in each city!)
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginixy
That's funny, I did the same thing. I also own a SLVR unlocked on T-mobile network. I was using a 7105T, and only used my SLVR on weekends, because it was easier to fit in my pocket, say at a bar or what not. But now that I have the pearl, and the dimensions are so similar, I no longer have a need for my SLVR. SO to ebay it goes

I was doing the same. The SLVR was perfect for going out at night and on the weekends, but the beauty of the ultra sleek and compact Pearl is the best. I'm loving it!

Now to get T-Mo to exchange my Pearl for a new one. Hmmm... (The face is scratched when my colleague dropped it!)
Closed Thread