Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 AM   #81
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavell1 View Post
I'm seriously debating whether to take a 12 month contract out with Orange, pay it off and get the unlock codes from Orange so I will be able to use it with my office's O2 BES - that would bring the "sim free" cost of the berry to about £450, which is much less than some of these eBay idiots are asking for...

One is asking for £600 (it was £650 yesterday) for a locked Orange Bold! fool.....
Expansys are asking £535 (Buy a RIM® BlackBerry Bold 9000 Smartphone (UK, Black, QWERTY), #BB9000BLK_UK - eXpansys UK). There might be cheaper shops out there.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #82
geolab
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange

any chance Orange UK sells the bold WITHOUT contract? does anybody know? thnks
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #83
machiavell1

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2-UK

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by geolab
any chance Orange UK sells the bold WITHOUT contract? does anybody know? thnks
No they won't.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #84
DJBoozy

Model: ifone
PIN: no more, Imessage :(
Carrier: Orange UK Business

Day 3: 4.59pm

Orange have said that the bold *SHOULD* have been available to upgrade customers today, but wasnt for some reason...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #85
192.0.0.1@gmail.com

Model: BOLD
Carrier: Orange
Default Gps?

I;ve just ordered the bold on orange via the website and excited at getting my mitts on it :D

Does anyone know if the GPS works with orange? do i need to pay for the GPS service as they didn't charge me anything as such.

Cheers!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #86
dmacd

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 192.0.0.1@gmail.com View Post
I;ve just ordered the bold on orange via the website and excited at getting my mitts on it :D

Does anyone know if the GPS works with orange? do i need to pay for the GPS service as they didn't charge me anything as such.

Cheers!
Orange don't charge for GPS. However Blackberry Maps can't be used on an Orange Bold at the moment. Try Google Maps instead.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #87
machiavell1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 192.0.0.1@gmail.com View Post

Cheers!
GPS will work fine and won't be charged for if you're using blackberry maps or google maps - you'll pay for data to download the maps but the GPS will be free. The data you incur should come from your included blackberry plan data rather than be charged separately or additionally but you may want to check with Orange that this is the case.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #88
192.0.0.1@gmail.com

Cool, thanks for the quick reply guys!

Do you know if there are any decent free sat nav software for driving similar to Telmap or Copilot (where you get spoken turn by turn directions and 3d views). I'm not sure google maps can do that?

Cheers!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #89
192.0.0.1@gmail.com

I;ve just found a free gps called nav4all. has anyone used it or tested it on bold?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #90
DJBoozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavell1 View Post
GPS will work fine and won't be charged for if you're using blackberry maps or google maps - you'll pay for data to download the maps but the GPS will be free. The data you incur should come from your included blackberry plan data rather than be charged separately or additionally but you may want to check with Orange that this is the case.
if your on the new £2.50 BB add-on pack.. you will get 250MB of data included, this will include your mapping stuff.

google maps is very good, ive used it on 8800.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #91
classact

Model: 9780
Carrier: Orange UK and T-Mobile UK

Following on from the debacle on Saturday, where I visited my local Orange store but couldn't take a Bold away because Orange Business Upgrades were offline, I received a call from the same store today telling me it was back up so I could come in and collect the handset. Once again I drove there and after about twenty minutes of the assistant making a couple of calls to upgrades I was told that I couldn't upgrade. I've pretty good at remaining composed in the face of utter incompetency all around me. I rung 345 and spoke to a CSR. She told me that the system had been refreshed over the weekend and I wasn't eligible for an upgrade even though another system (called something like an ISR) was saying that I was able to upgrade. I explained that I wasn't planning to walk out of the store without the handset for a second time, so she went to her colleague and also to her supervisor before returning and saying that I could upgrade but not for a couple of days because the Bold was currently being offered for new connections only and because their system wasn't currently allowing it.

At this point I decided enough was enough and took out a brand new contract in store on my existing business account. I told the CSR and the 345 CSR that it was obviously the easiest, and apparently the only, way for business customers like myself to obtain the device and I'd be writing to the Executive Office (which I will) to ask them to sort it out. I don't want another contact so as far as I am concerned the issue will have to be resolved at a higher level.

Why do networks act so stupidly? Obviously Orange has a vast number of BlackBerry users because RIM gave them the device before any other UK network. Some existing BlackBerry users would naturally want to upgrade. Some would be within the last 3 months of their contracts. Others, like me, will be half way through their 24 month contract. My situation should not preclude me from upgrading early as long as I am prepared to pay the required upgrade fee to do so. I'd previously been quoted £300 charges on the phone to upgrade. I'd have paid that. If it means paying the full price of the handset, so be it. I'd have done that if necessary. Putting obstacles in the way, having business systems working less than optimally and doing the new customers only "BS" isn't acceptable. I so nearly had two wasted journeys to an Orange store because of this incompetency and I intend to get this resolved by someone with the management expertise to do it.

Last edited by classact; 08-18-2008 at 03:31 PM..
Old 08-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #92
coolkarim
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 250ff349
Carrier: vodafone

sounds like a **** up to me.....and man you wanted that thing badly!

In the desert Water=Time, Fuel=Distance

www.desertbiking.co.uk
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #93
DJBoozy

[QUOTE=classact;1065005]
and saying that I could upgrade but not for a couple of days because the Bold was currently being offered for new connections only and because their system wasn't currently allowing it.

Obviously Orange has a vast number of BlackBerry users because RIM gave them the device before any other UK network. Some existing BlackBerry users would naturally want to upgrade. Some would be within the last 3 months of their contracts.

Thats the boat that i'm in mate, welcome to it!

They keep fobbing me off, with excuses why/when i can/cant have my bold!

im month 16 (will be month 17 as at 09/09/08) and i'm getting different stories everytime i call.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #94
classact

[QUOTE=DJBoozy;1065092]
Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
and saying that I could upgrade but not for a couple of days because the Bold was currently being offered for new connections only and because their system wasn't currently allowing it.

Obviously Orange has a vast number of BlackBerry users because RIM gave them the device before any other UK network. Some existing BlackBerry users would naturally want to upgrade. Some would be within the last 3 months of their contracts.

Thats the boat that i'm in mate, welcome to it!

They keep fobbing me off, with excuses why/when i can/cant have my bold!

im month 16 (will be month 17 as at 09/09/08) and i'm getting different stories everytime i call.
I think an email to someone in the Executive Office is the way forward. Nobody seems to have concrete answers. It should be simple really. The answer should be "Sir/Madam, yes you CAN have the handset. It will cost you A because you are in month B, and next month it cost you C because you are in month D" and so on. The maximum price for an upgrade should not be more than the full retail price of the handset. Orange will have a price that they can sell Bold's at to existing customers and break even, or maybe make a £20 profit. It should be one per BlackBerry account to stop some people buying them all up and selling them on at a profit.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #95
classact

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkarim View Post
sounds like a **** up to me.....and man you wanted that thing badly!
Yeah I did! I really liked my Curve and the Bold appears to be the icing on the cake. I use my BlackBerry for business use and the Bold helps me do business better. Why Orange, a company that is supposed to provide services to allow businesses to do business better, should want to hinder that is beyond me. Make it straight forward and set some prices for every scenario is what I'd recommend they did.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #96
DJBoozy

[QUOTE=classact;1065344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBoozy View Post

I think an email to someone in the Executive Office is the way forward. Nobody seems to have concrete answers. It should be simple really. The answer should be "Sir/Madam, yes you CAN have the handset. It will cost you A because you are in month B, and next month it cost you C because you are in month D" and so on. The maximum price for an upgrade should not be more than the full retail price of the handset. Orange will have a price that they can sell Bold's at to existing customers and break even, or maybe make a £20 profit. It should be one per BlackBerry account to stop some people buying them all up and selling them on at a profit.

might join you in that e-mail...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #97
DJBoozy

Day 4... 1.11pm

The Bold is now available to orange customers as an upgrade, but the price quoted to me was the same as the retail store £129.99.

if we "wait" till tomorrow, they will be able to start discounting handsets.

another orange lie, or possible truth?

</Discuss>
Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #98
Martyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted

I have direct access to the rim employes, as we talk to them daily, ill ask about when its going to be released etc etc? Unless it already is, over me other halfs atm so not read the whole topic
Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #99
DJBoozy

I'm no longer Boldless!!! :D :D :D :D

Spoke to upgrades tonight, they have upgraded me for nowt, and given me 10% off my bills!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 08-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #100
machiavell1

Default Specific Absorbtion Rate

For those of you with a Bold already, can you let me know what the SAR is from your package - it should either be on the side of the box or in the safety/guide documentation that comes with it.

cheers....
Closed Thread