Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #41
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using this model for about a day and am enjoying it. I do like the bigger keys and the flip form factor. I am happy...for now...
Old 10-31-2008, 06:14 PM   #42
Raspberryluver

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah I haven't met a single person who owns this model
Old 11-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #43
KeyLoveMobile
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

I've got one, I like it a lot.

It fits in the hand really well, and the hinge design that curls around behind allows the phone to 'perch' nicely on your index finger. This also seems to position your thumb really well to drive the trackball, which is closer to the hinge than the navigator on other flip devices.

The preview on the outside display is super cool, saves people from having to obviously flip open the device in meetings to check what that buzz was about.

It looks great, the black finish on the top is stylish. It's forensics department's dream, picking up fingerprints from 5 feet away, but wipes off easily.

It's a super-light device, which is why many folks might say it feels cheap, but it doesn't flex or creak at all.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
Noctem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T / CINGULAR

I like mine too, the only thing is (and i worry about this with all flip phones) is the hinge. It feels soo flimsy, but knowing it to be a blackberry, my worries are most likely for nothing. It is super light, as KeyLoveMobile said, and sometimes it doesnt feel like a phone in your hand at all. A bit sluggish, but you get used to it. All in all, i really like it (coming from a curve ->iPhone -> iPhone 3g -> Kickstart.)
Old 11-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #45
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Several of you have mentioned a sluggish response time. Has anyone quantified this with a stop watch? I'm curious to know how severe it is.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #46
Giselle9938
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: none
Carrier: a Cheap company that I'll leave very soon

I love it, and My BF Hate it. LOL!!! Long story... I had been using it for a week and I love the bigger keys...
Old 11-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #47
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

I have 8220 and like it. In fact, I gave away my Bold to get Pearl Flip. No more belt clips for me, I can carry this thing in my pocket.

After two days with Pearl I looked at coworker's Bold and commented: how huge Bold looks in comparison. I need email, I don't need HDTV on my belt.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 PM   #48
wobly
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One View Post
I have 8220 and like it. In fact, I gave away my Bold to get Pearl Flip. No more belt clips for me, I can carry this thing in my pocket.

After two days with Pearl I looked at coworker's Bold and commented: how huge Bold looks in comparison. I need email, I don't need HDTV on my belt.
Dude, I would have bought you an 8220 if you gave me your Bold.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:18 AM   #49
gothamcityguy

Model: 8130
Carrier: vzw

its not doing well. customers dont seem to like it. no one at works seems to like it either. G1 is pretty much the focus right now. For anyone to want it, they need to drop it to $49. Too many cool phones in that price category that consumers are wanting vs same BB in a different shell.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #50
gixxerfitz

Carrier: tmobile

Got it! Love it!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #51
stlouie65
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24B568BF

I'm loving this phone so far
Old 11-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #52
claykin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

V4.6.0.174 improves the sluggish operation of the 8220 considerably. I'm fairly happy with .174 except UMA doesn't reliably handoff calls to EDGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Several of you have mentioned a sluggish response time. Has anyone quantified this with a stop watch? I'm curious to know how severe it is.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #53
ashapps

Model: 8120

It's all on preference. For me, I never had a smartphone until I got the blackberry pearl and i loved that phone!

Now with the blackberry filp, it's basically an updated version of the pearl, plus more capabilities, and also flips so it's more comfortable to talk on.

I'm not one of those people who needs all these super amazing features (GPS, 3G, Wi-Fi, touch screen, etc.). I just want a phone that works well and something I can use as an organizer/planner as well. The flip is that and MUCH more!

It's my favorite phone on the market right now and I couldn't see myself with any other phone.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #54
fala

Carrier: T-mobile

[QUOTE=crisambo;1146925]easily connected to WiFi and used UMA calling. . . browsed internet without BB Data plan with a little APN tweak........../QUOTE]

Could you expand a bit on your ability to browsed the internet without a BB Data Plan? Also, any UMA issues?

I am thinking of getting the 8220 for the Wi-Fi feature. I have the 8700g for two years and inherited a 8100. What is the memory size for the 8220?
Old 11-27-2008, 11:27 AM   #55
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I believe it is 128mb. The one I have (with very little loaded) shows 79mb free. I guess it could be 96mb.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:25 PM   #56
Crackalack2008

Carrier: TMO
Default Great device.

[QUOTE=fala;1185938]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo View Post
easily connected to WiFi and used UMA calling. . . browsed internet without BB Data plan with a little APN tweak........../QUOTE]

Could you expand a bit on your ability to browsed the internet without a BB Data Plan? Also, any UMA issues?

I am thinking of getting the 8220 for the Wi-Fi feature. I have the 8700g for two years and inherited a 8100. What is the memory size for the 8220?
Bought the 8220 from Costco on TMO with no data plan. If you change the default browser from T-Mobile to HotSpot/WiFi it allows you to get to web pages using wifi. Everything else seems to be blocked (IM, gmail app, google maps). I can download these apps, but then I can't use them. Called TMO and they confirmed that you can use the browser, but that the ports are blocked for the other stuff.....stupid. Anyone found a way around that?

Other then that, it is a great device.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #57
eagle2k

Carrier: t-mobile

I have the flip and I love it. Or to be more precise, all my friends love it as I have called several of them accidentally from my previous blackberry pearl with no flip. The cover is awesome.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #58
Berry One

Carrier: WiFi hotspot

[QUOTE=Crackalack2008;1187214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fala View Post

Bought the 8220 from Costco on TMO with no data plan. If you change the default browser from T-Mobile to HotSpot/WiFi it allows you to get to web pages using wifi. Everything else seems to be blocked (IM, gmail app, google maps). I can download these apps, but then I can't use them. Called TMO and they confirmed that you can use the browser, but that the ports are blocked for the other stuff.....stupid. Anyone found a way around that?

What TMO told you is not scientific explanation.

Blackberry data plan is RIM and TMO services you are paying for, including: connection to RIM through TMO cell network, use of RIM's BIS system to send and receive emails, use of RIM's browsing to browse the Internet, use of RIM's IM servers to, well, IM. I guess you've got the point.

So, no data plan - no carrier or RIM services. WiFi browser goes to Internet direct, without touching and taxing RIM's and TMO's infrastructures.

Same for the rest of blackberry applications - find those that can utilize WiFi without utilizing RIM's infrastructure - and they will work on your 8220.

In some cases you may have to find how to configure application to use WiFi. For example, I am pretty sure Google Maps and GMail App are not using RIM's services, but they might not know you want them to use WiFi and instead they try to connect through TMO network - which fails, of course.

So, there are no ports blocked - just access to RIM and TMO services is. It also is not stupid - you are getting what you are paying for.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #59
ashapps

Model: 8120

[QUOTE=Crackalack2008;1187214]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fala View Post

So you get browse the net without having an internet plan using wi-fi if you just change your default browser? And do they charge you when you change it to hotspot?

Last edited by ashapps; 12-01-2008 at 11:36 AM..
Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #60
Crackalack2008

Carrier: TMO

[QUOTE=Berry One;1188973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalack2008 View Post

What TMO told you is not scientific explanation.

Blackberry data plan is RIM and TMO services you are paying for, including: connection to RIM through TMO cell network, use of RIM's BIS system to send and receive emails, use of RIM's browsing to browse the Internet, use of RIM's IM servers to, well, IM. I guess you've got the point.

So, no data plan - no carrier or RIM services. WiFi browser goes to Internet direct, without touching and taxing RIM's and TMO's infrastructures.

Same for the rest of blackberry applications - find those that can utilize WiFi without utilizing RIM's infrastructure - and they will work on your 8220.

In some cases you may have to find how to configure application to use WiFi. For example, I am pretty sure Google Maps and GMail App are not using RIM's services, but they might not know you want them to use WiFi and instead they try to connect through TMO network - which fails, of course.

So, there are no ports blocked - just access to RIM and TMO services is. It also is not stupid - you are getting what you are paying for.
Yeah...that somewhat makes sense...I will fiddle with the installed gmail/gmaps to see if I can get it working. The stupid part I was also upset about but failed to mention was that you can't add a pay-per-use data plan like AT&T. I don't use data when I am outside the house enough to justify 20-25$ a month.
Closed Thread