BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Help from students using the BB for school?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm in a fairly specific but difficult graduate school, so I doubt there's anything out there specifically for me, but I was interested in some of the programs made only for students. I don't use the calendar much, but more due to me being lazy in 1. looking at the calendar (I think a Today screen would help) and 2. Laziness in putting it in with the amount of reminders I would like to have.

I also looked into Flashcards a little, but I wanted one that was just easy to make otherwise...why make a flashcard? I have to memorize A LOT, so I'd want it to be very easy to make flashcards quickly...
Old 08-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
skicson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Please have a look at our site gwhizmobile. We have a BlackBerry graphing calculator, flashcards application, reference (i.e. cheatsheet application), and a time management/todo list application (which has a nice Week Agenda view among other features).

The best part is that they are all FREE!.

BTW, to create flashcards using our app, you can just do it thru Google spreadsheets. Directions are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipskicks View Post
I'm in a fairly specific but difficult graduate school, so I doubt there's anything out there specifically for me, but I was interested in some of the programs made only for students. I don't use the calendar much, but more due to me being lazy in 1. looking at the calendar (I think a Today screen would help) and 2. Laziness in putting it in with the amount of reminders I would like to have.

I also looked into Flashcards a little, but I wanted one that was just easy to make otherwise...why make a flashcard? I have to memorize A LOT, so I'd want it to be very easy to make flashcards quickly...
Old 08-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
xjrodzx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: T-Mobile

Nice apps. I downloaded got-2. It seems very useful.

Thanx for sharing
Old 08-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
poffman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

Sounds like some good apps for sure
Old 08-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

You might want to look at Cram Study and Test Preparation Software | SimpleLeap Software, LLC it comes with a 13/14 day trial but it is pretty useful I've been using it for a few weeks now.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
You might want to look at Cram Study and Test Preparation Software | SimpleLeap Software, LLC it comes with a 13/14 day trial but it is pretty useful I've been using it for a few weeks now.
OK if you can, can you give me your thoughts on it? Not asking for a crazy review, anything would be nice. I saw the $25 deal for the bundled software and it's not a ton of money, but I would rather not waste it, I've only used very few programs consistently, I broke not-paying by buying Jivetalk and don't regret it one bit, but people don't rave, or talk much, about these programs.

I'm also a law student, flash cards would be great IF they were easy to set-up etc. I just don't have time to play with it AND use it, I need it to be easy to fit to my needs or it won't be worth a cent...

Sorry for the long explanation, I guess I'm just looking for people who ACTUALLY used these and thought they were either useful or unuseful.

Thanks for the replies!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
SteveO86

Wirelessly posted

I don't know if I would consider myself lazy, the way I look at it is whatever my BlackBerry can do to make my life easier it will. So maybe a little lazy.

I work in the I.T. Field supporting servers and networks, but more so the networks (Cisco routers/switches), so I know what it's like to have to know/memorize a lot.

Version 1 of Cram is pretty basic (this is their first release) it just gives you the ability to create multiple choice questions (1 to 5 answers a question) with a single correct answer, it has a study guide mode which gives you the question and the ability to see the correct answer under it. So that might substitute for flash cards. (I've never used flash cards so I can't really offer too much on that subject)

I've sent quite a few emails over to simpleleap everything from liscensing questions to giving them feedback on features I would to see (multiple correct answers, explanations, randomizing the answers, etc) they have been very responsive so far. I move around a lot (and really killed the autotext feature) so I mainly just create the tests locally on BlackBerry.

I would try downloading Cram, it has a 13 day trial to mess around with and during that time you could email simpleleap and tell them your thoughts. Since I use the tests for my I.T. Subjects, my needs might differ from yours.

My personal opinion, right now Cram is extremely easy to use and has some great potential when they start adding some new features. (Which they say they are working)

They also have web interface where you can create tests and then download them to your BlackBerry, which has few features that the BlackBerry client does not have (ie answer pools) and the web interface was updated about 2 weeks ago so they are working on there end of things.

I'm a very heavy test taker and rely on little tests like this to keep my mind sharp on certain subjects. So I can't wait for new features, makes my life easier.

Here is a link, for the CrackBerry review of Cram Review: Cram for BlackBerry Smartphones | CrackBerry.com

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 09-02-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
dhollins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I don't know if I would consider myself lazy, the way I look at it is whatever my BlackBerry can do to make my life easier it will. So maybe a little lazy.

I work in the I.T. Field supporting servers and networks, but more so the networks (Cisco routers/switches), so I know what it's like to have to know/memorize a lot.

Version 1 of Cram is pretty basic (this is their first release) it just gives you the ability to create multiple choice questions (1 to 5 answers a question) with a single correct answer, it has a study guide mode which gives you the question and the ability to see the correct answer under it. So that might substitute for flash cards. (I've never used flash cards so I can't really offer too much on that subject)

I've sent quite a few emails over to simpleleap everything from liscensing questions to giving them feedback on features I would to see (multiple correct answers, explanations, randomizing the answers, etc) they have been very responsive so far. I move around a lot (and really killed the autotext feature) so I mainly just create the tests locally on BlackBerry.

I would try downloading Cram, it has a 13 day trial to mess around with and during that time you could email simpleleap and tell them your thoughts. Since I use the tests for my I.T. Subjects, my needs might differ from yours.

My personal opinion, right now Cram is extremely easy to use and has some great potential when they start adding some new features. (Which they say they are working)

They also have web interface where you can create tests and then download them to your BlackBerry, which has few features that the BlackBerry client does not have (ie answer pools) and the web interface was updated about 2 weeks ago so they are working on there end of things.

I'm a very heavy test taker and rely on little tests like this to keep my mind sharp on certain subjects. So I can't wait for new features, makes my life easier.

Here is a link, for the CrackBerry review of Cram Review: Cram for BlackBerry Smartphones | CrackBerry.com
You seem to be very knowledgeable of cram. Maybe you can help me. I have created a test in notepad and everytime I try and upload it, I get an HTTP Status 500 error.

I thought I followed the instructions precisely.

Can you help?

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Old 09-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
SteveO86

Life's been pretty busy sorry for not getting back sooner. Not to doubt you but are you sure you followed the right format:

Is this a question?
No
**Yes
Maybe

Question
Answer
**Answer
Answer
Answer
Answer

(No empty lines for a full question)

Do you happen to be using word wrap inside the .txt file? While I've created a bunch of tests, I've only upoaded one test from a txt file. I got myself in the habit of creating my test online and just importing them to my BlackBerry.

How many questions are in your test and how big s the txt file?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
dhollins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Life's been pretty busy sorry for not getting back sooner. Not to doubt you but are you sure you followed the right format:

Is this a question?
No
**Yes
Maybe

Question
Answer
**Answer
Answer
Answer
Answer

(No empty lines for a full question)

Do you happen to be using word wrap inside the .txt file? While I've created a bunch of tests, I've only upoaded one test from a txt file. I got myself in the habit of creating my test online and just importing them to my BlackBerry.

How many questions are in your test and how big s the txt file?
Niether. It turns out it was a server side issue. I have been communicating by email with Cram support. I was up and running that same night. I have since purchased it.

Great email support! I'm loving this little software. Helps me to study for promotional exams on the go.

Thanks.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
SteveO86

That's good, yea their support is pretty good. When I emailed them with my questions (functionality and liscensing questions) they were pretty quick to respond.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
innocent114

There is also a coupon code to get 15% off of Cram.

Just use : CRAMFORPRESIDENT (no spaces, as typed) and it will discount the software on the SimpleLeap website.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #13
gfrancis306
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2484D2EB
Carrier: AT&T

googlesync is an awesome application, you can use your google account ( i have gmail) and create your calendar on google calendar then use googlesync on your handheld to instantly download the entire calculator

just go on google and look for mobile apps, it's in the same place you get google maps mobile
Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
alexs0fly

Model: 8100

i get an error when I try to download. "This application requires the follolwing module, which is not installed:net_rim_xml_org" How can I fix this?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
SteveO86

I would re-install your OS on your computer and run the application loader. It might prompt you to re-install the OS or install that module at the least.

Have you went threw the Optimizing BlackBerry Memory thread in the General Discussion forum?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #16
alexs0fly

Model: 8100

I updated my OS to 4.5 from 4.2 and it works fine now. thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #17
innocent114

There is also a new promo code for get Cram.

The previous code has expired, but the new code is LOVETOCRAM.

Enter this code on the purchase page of SimpleLeap.com, and save 15%.
Closed Thread