BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: not configured
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
I believe the regular BB devices are only capable of storing 1000 entries
That is wrong One of my users has an 8700g with more than 6500(!) calendar entries. I think the only limit is the free memory and nothing else.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 05-07-2006, 04:11 AM   #142
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
My guess would be between no time soon and never gonna happen. MSFT has no deisre to support BB on WM5 devices.
The great thing is that WM5 is an operating system so MSFT has no control over whether someone (read Device Manufacturer) writes a client for BBC or not. In fact RIM demonstrated a beta client at CeBIT Hanover for WM5. I believe it was on a HTC device.

How long before it becomes a commercial reality is anyone's guess.

Bunker
Old 05-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #143
acnst
BBF Moderator

A BBC-Client is already available for WM5 devices, e.g. for the MDA Pro from T-Mobile Germany.

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 AM   #144
shadowrtype

Model: 71003

Quote:
These are both limitations of the BBC client ... nothing you can do about it.
Butler's attention grabber allows you to set the alert to your ringtone or vibrate.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #145
alecmcint

Model: 8100
Carrier: eplus

@Chris: dbScan did the job. Obviously problems with repeated entries that made the Treo crash.

But: Now I realize timezone problems. chosed the right timezone, chosed the right daylight saving profile, but Treo datebook entries are one hour ahead (with DST 2 hours). On same BES other devices are ok. Anyone with similar problems?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #146
driguez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

BB for the treo? man i miss my treo :( ....... even though im having fun with my new 7100i ;)
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #147
driguez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher145
From my experience with Treos, they need a hard reset pretty frequently. Much easier than telling the user to hold in the reset button while pressing the power button then release the reset button and at a particular screen let go of power button and press up... sheesh! =)
treos do not need hard resets frequently,in 6 months i only had to hard reset mine once, if you add a lot of garbage to the treo then you get applications conflicting with each other
Old 05-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #148
cschrage
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMO

Compared to my bb 8700...the Treo 650 I am testing...weighs as much as a tank.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #149
Chris Taylor
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by acnst
That is wrong One of my users has an 8700g with more than 6500(!) calendar entries. I think the only limit is the free memory and nothing else.
That's amazing! In my experience mailboxes with over 1000 calendar entries usually results in Calendar failing to sync, which in turn causes the over-the-wire enterprise activation to fail. Do you guys allow wireless bulk loads (i.e. OTA EA) or not? What version of BES are you running, and for which platform?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #150
Chris Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrtype
Butler's attention grabber allows you to set the alert to your ringtone or vibrate.
That is very cool. I used Butler back in the day, but it ended up causing some crashes and conflicts with ProfileCare and I had to get rid of it. So the attention grabber can actually intercept alerts from BBC and spit them out in the format (ringtone or vibrate) that you specify?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #151
Chris Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcint
@Chris: dbScan did the job. Obviously problems with repeated entries that made the Treo crash.

But: Now I realize timezone problems. chosed the right timezone, chosed the right daylight saving profile, but Treo datebook entries are one hour ahead (with DST 2 hours). On same BES other devices are ok. Anyone with similar problems?
I had the same problem initially but I've forgotten how I resolved it. I think it was as simple as setting the "New entries use time zones" setting in the Treo Calendar, specifying the time zone, deleting BBC from the device, and re-installing it.

I know I didn't monkey around with any of the settings on the laptop (i.e. regional/time zones, etc).
Old 05-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #152
acnst
BBF Moderator

Quote:
That's amazing! In my experience mailboxes with over 1000 calendar entries usually results in Calendar failing to sync, which in turn causes the over-the-wire enterprise activation to fail. Do you guys allow wireless bulk loads (i.e. OTA EA) or not? What version of BES are you running, and for which platform?
Calendar syncs fine. Over-the-wire EA did not fail. Wireless Bulk Loads are allowed. BES 4.0.4 for Exchange (HF1 or HF2, can't remember correctly).

for Microsoft Exchange

Old 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #153
shadowrtype

Model: 71003

Quote:
That is very cool. I used Butler back in the day, but it ended up causing some crashes and conflicts with ProfileCare and I had to get rid of it. So the attention grabber can actually intercept alerts from BBC and spit them out in the format (ringtone or vibrate) that you specify?
Yes that is essentially what it does. When email comes in and BBC tries to fire off the standard alert sound, Butler takes over and overrides that sound alert with the alerts you define in the Attention Grabber. You can have it play ringtone, vibrate, or flash the led or a combination of all of these. It essentially gives my Treo similar behavior to my old Blackberry device. It has been rock solid stable on the latest version of Butler, but I don't use ProfileCare so I don't know if that combination would still be troublesome today.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:14 PM   #154
canesfins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: BTC

For a Treo rookie, does anyone have easy step by step instructions on installing and running BBC on the Treo?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #155
fshamshad

Model: 8700c
Default BBC on TREO 650

I saw the posts. got a treo 650 from cingular today. put my bberry sim in it. called and changed plan to blackberry connect (same price as unlimited bberry). installed softare. all steps done till last synch which installs the software on the treo. i got a message that said 1.handheld could not be connected and 2) be sure that bberry connect software is on your handheld.

keep in mind that hotsynch is working and detecting the treo.

what am i doing wrong?

someone please email me. if it doesnt work, ill have to return this. the phone is so cool though. it would be a shame.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #156
hcheun

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Ugh Treo nightmares is all i get whenever the name or the models pop in my head. hahaha

I've been unfortunate twice, 3 times each. Had to replace three treo 600's , and three treo 650's within all in a span of 2 1/2 years. i tell you, If the manufactering wasn't so shotty, i would think otherwise. Those who have them working, just thank god you're lucky yours hasn't broke yet! (knock on wood)

Now my blackberry, a different story! i dropped it on concreted not once, but several times. and the result? Damn thing is like a roach (in a good way) it can survive a nuclear holocaust and still live

I am a true blackberry addict, and i aint ashamed to admit it... but i will be honest, there was all of 10 minutes in my mind to persuade me back to a treo with BB connect, but after people reminding me the same reset issues, and problems, etc. i came back to reality!

Thanks BB forum members for keeping me in check !!!

Stick with the BB, you'll thank us later!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #157
boucherj

Model: 8700c

Now I wonder if the same software will work on the new Palm 700p (once they release the BBC for CDMA devices)?

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...00p/index.html

It is the same OS, just more memory.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #158
canesfins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: BTC

I cant seem to get the 1.20 operating system to load on my locked Cingular Treo, any suggestions?

Last edited by canesfins; 05-15-2006 at 10:40 AM..
Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #159
rcaddell

Model: MANY
Carrier: AT&T

We have 7 blackberry users and 5 Treo users in my office. I have to troubleshoot issues with both and I can say firsthand that the BlackBerry has WAY more issues than the Treo. With ActiveSync and ways to fool the treo for Push, the benefit of the BB is demolished. The worst thing is the BES. With the Treo, you are cutting out that middle man. The BB service is skecthy at best most times. When there is a small exchange issue, the BB lose connection and throw up all over the place. Treo's never have an issue.

Now on to searching for ANOTHER answer to ANOTHER BB problem.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 AM   #160
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaddell
We have 7 blackberry users and 5 Treo users in my office. I have to troubleshoot issues with both and I can say firsthand that the BlackBerry has WAY more issues than the Treo. With ActiveSync and ways to fool the treo for Push, the benefit of the BB is demolished. The worst thing is the BES. With the Treo, you are cutting out that middle man. The BB service is skecthy at best most times. When there is a small exchange issue, the BB lose connection and throw up all over the place. Treo's never have an issue.

Now on to searching for ANOTHER answer to ANOTHER BB problem.
While it is obvious I am far from a BB fan, I have to disagree regarding your analysis of cutting out the middle-man. What you are doing is cutting out security and control.