BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #481
Propagator4
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I actually had a very similar problem. The .alx file was only opening in read only format in Word (thought the properties were not set to this option) so I couldn't just save over it, I had to save it elsewhere and move it. The only problem was that I couldn't figure out how to save it as an .alx. When I manually changed the file extension on the file name, the computer still recognized it as a .doc.

Last edited by Propagator4; 04-07-2008 at 10:00 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #482
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You probably have that alx file open or being used elsewhere on the PC (such as a file manager applications?). Somewhere it is open twice and opening in read only format.

Reboot your PC, and try it all again.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #483
shanhun

Model: 8130
Carrier: sprint

I tried rebooting my computer as suggested, but still no luck. It will not let me save the file. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #484
F1NAL

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I got an "app Error 205" on my phone, when it restarted... What can i do about it
?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 PM   #485
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanhun View Post
I tried to delete the vendor files as directed; however, it won't let me save them. I get the following msg: Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\LoaderFiles\8130-v4.3.097_P3.1.0.51\Blackberry.alx.file. Make sure the path and file names are correct. I opened the blackberry alx file with notepad. Any ideas?
Are you using Windows Vista? Edit the file, then do a "Save As" and save it to the desktop as Blackberry.alx. Then delete the old one and copy the new one to the original location.

Last edited by John Clark; 04-07-2008 at 08:06 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 10:28 PM   #486
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

With all due respect to the mod's that help us through our BB problems, why should ANY of this be necessary. Honestly, for the average user to have to go through this just to use their very expensive, very 'sophisticated' device as it was intended is shameful. RIM IMHO should be ashamed of itself. You're telling me that with all those 'bright' engineers RIM has developing these smart phones, such a universal issue/problem such as this actually exists when a device is released?!! Yes I know I'm an 8830 user, but my daughter is a new 8130 user...enough said! Lord give me strength.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #487
gr8 choice

Model: 8310
Carrier: sumcom

I am using windows vista and it will not allow me to save the .als file after deleting the vendor numbers in step 3.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #488
gr8 choice

Model: 8310
Carrier: sumcom

sorry if i read a few post up i see thx!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #489
vintage_guitar

Carrier: Cingular

As of 4.5.0.18 for the 8100 removing VAD still removes the function of clicking About from the menu. However, ALT + EACE still works.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #490
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_guitar View Post
As of 4.5.0.18 for the 8100 removing VAD still removes the function of clicking About from the menu. However, ALT + EACE still works.
Thanks for the info; but considering this software is beta and this thread focuses on released versions of the software you're better off keeping results like this to yourself.

I'm sure RIM, or whomever provided you with the beta software would appreciate that.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #491
Propagator4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Are you using Windows Vista? Edit the file, then do a "Save As" and save it to the desktop as Blackberry.alx. Then delete the old one and copy the new one to the original location.
See I tried that and the computer (running vista) still recognized the file as a Word Document, so I was scared to see what happened if I tried to import it onto my phone using Desktop Manager.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #492
LancePipes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Browser won't load!!! Didn't even edit .alx file

Hello,

Something is going on when I load my apps. My browser WILL NOT load!! I am positive that I had it checked, in fact it was greyed out so I couldn't deselect it if I wanted to.

I know that this can happen if you mess with your .alx file, however, I didn't even open that file to edit it because I didn't want any of the other vendor themes. I didn't even delete the vendor.xml file.

Why is this happening to me?? What can I do to fix it? I guess I'll try to reinstall the OS to my PC after work, but I don't see how that would do anything since I never changed any of these files. The only COD files I removed were themes, VAD, and media files. Can anyone help me??

Peace,
Stoddard

Oh yeah, I need to activate my VZW phone again because I removed all applications and reinstalled them. I'll make another post for that because it's urgent!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #493
Yankel

This is a great thread. I am a newbie to BB. Thanks very much for sharing this information.

I currently use the Verizon theme that came on the Pearl 8130 when I got. I have no plans to change themes. What can I, therefore, delete from the java folder?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #494
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancePipes View Post
Hello,

Something is going on when I load my apps. My browser WILL NOT load!! I am positive that I had it checked, in fact it was greyed out so I couldn't deselect it if I wanted to.

I know that this can happen if you mess with your .alx file, however, I didn't even open that file to edit it because I didn't want any of the other vendor themes. I didn't even delete the vendor.xml file.

Why is this happening to me?? What can I do to fix it? I guess I'll try to reinstall the OS to my PC after work, but I don't see how that would do anything since I never changed any of these files. The only COD files I removed were themes, VAD, and media files. Can anyone help me??

Peace,
Stoddard

Oh yeah, I need to activate my VZW phone again because I removed all applications and reinstalled them. I'll make another post for that because it's urgent!
Yes, reinstall the OS to the PC.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #495
mndesertrat

Default Fat Fingered the keyboard

Help! I was using John Clarks BB Memery free up post and all was looking good until I fat fingered the keyboard and accidently deleted the net_rim_cldc.cod file. Now all I get is a white screen with circle and line through it with the numbers 587 below. Is there anything I can do other then punt.

Tried connecting via Device Manager and no luck
Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #496
mizditz101
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhne

Hmmmm
I would try to re-install the OS, to make sure you have a working version (better safe eh?) and then although DM will tell you there's no device, go through the app loader and run it again. It'll end up coming up with something about a USB (or Port connection), which would be your blackberry. It should go through the whole installation process again, and although that error will stay there the duration, it should go away at the end and boot up!

That's my first guess anyway :P I had a different error pop up (507 or some such) and that's what I did!
Old 04-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #497
mndesertrat

Smile

Thanks for the advise. I was able to get the device to connect with the Application Loader. The first choice I had to make was to make a backup of the device or not. I was always trying to proceed with making a backup and the device never connected and I got the cancel rety message. However before I started this process with freeing up memory I made a backup. So when trying again I chose not to make a backup. This allowed the Application Loader to start working and currently the device is updating. It has gone through the steps of
1.BackupThird party Application
2. Comnnect to the device ROM
3. Read device system configuration
The current step it is on is Load JVM and system software. The progress bar has "Erasing Application" above it and is progressing along. This step took about 5 -6 minutes.
Once this step 4 completed it had to
5. Wait for device initialization (about 2 minutes)
6. Load Java Appliaction (2-3 minutes)
7. Wait for device Initialization (10 minutes) Once that finished the device initialized and the T-Mobile welcome screen came up and the applications were verified on the device
8. Update message service information. (less then 1 minute)

When step 1 started the device went black and the LED turned red. The screen on the device stayed red through most of step 4. Once the progress bar completed the device screen came alive with the image of the device and PC with the arrows pointing in each direction.
When the Application Loader got to step 7 Waiting on device initalization the screen on the device had the hour glass up and rotating. The progress bar moved along very slowly.
The device is up and running again and and is activating. Looks like all I have to do is reconfigure my email accout that I use outside of my Enterprise email accout once the device finishes activation.
All is well in the Blackberry world.

One thing I will note is, during this process the Device Manager software did not show a device connected until the device was restored.

Hope my mistake helps someone else out when they fat finger the keyboard and delte the wrong file.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #498
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Not a good idea deleting the cdlc file as it's a required part of the core OS.

Glad you're up and running.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #499
tgiannes

PIN: 3186939E

Is there some one out there i could just send my bb to and have this done?? if so please email me at [email address]
Old 04-14-2008, 04:23 AM   #500
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It really is not as difficult as it seems. The post is long because I explained every detail so there would be no question on what to do. Just print it out and follow the instructions, step by step.

If you really want to send it to someone try HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß. It's owned by BBF member ShapelessBB and he is honest and reputable. He does this service.