Old 05-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
So how come you picked me out of the crowd to quote when I am not alone in my thinking.
well it had to be someone

point is, there are a few that thinks threaded SMS is pointless, however, there are many out there that want and feel the need for threaded sms including myself.

Before using a Treo, I couldn't care less about it, but after experiencing it, I wouldn't want to go back to anything else, the same way many wouldn't go back to any other phone after using the BB. Not trying to convince anyone that threaded sms is the way to go, just saying that there is a huge demand out there for it.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #22
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i would agree to that statement, if someone wrote the program to be combined with the SMS, like empower and BBSmart do for HTML... but for threaded SMS... that i think would please ALOT of people... if only i knew how to write apps for the BB, i would be able to make alot of people happy
Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #23
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazEtooN View Post
My knee is quite fine thank you.

I don't care if you own an iPhone, love an iPhone, or hate an iPhone, it was unnecessary to bring it into the comment. All you needed to say was that threaded SMS is overrated, without mentioning the iPhone, to get your point across. Threaded SMS has been something asked about for a long time, and it was in fact made popular by other devices long before the iPhone, and most likely stems from things like AIM.

Throwing the iPhone in there for no reason besides just doing it, really leads me to believe it was yet another pot-shot at it.
That's your problem, not mine. My only frame of reference for threaded SMS is *my* iPhone. Get it? As in, my experience with USING threaded SMS is entirely tied to the iPhone. It's history, development, and all the supposed outcry for it, are what's irrelevant to my original point. Therefore, my bringing in the iPhone was quite relevant. Your reaction to *my* opinion about threaded SMS as a feature on *my* device, which happens to be an iPhone, was silly. It wasn't a shot at the iPhone, a comment about the iPhone vs. a Blackberry, a comment about Steve Jobs, a comment about Macs vs. PC's or whatever else your fevered imagination led you to believe.

Really, it's okay to just admit you were wrong and overreacted. God forbid anyone on an internet message board ever do something like that. We might accidentally wind up with more civil conversations or something.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #24
Dinan3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: & Teller

BlackBerry does have threaded SMS. it just isn't called that nor is it as nice as the others, but it manually works.

options > SMS Text > number of previous items (up to 50).

this will show you the last 50 SMS messages "thread-like" between you and the other person.

Last edited by Dinan3; 05-22-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #25
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

True threaded SMS will show only a single SMS in your inbox, and when you click on it to open it you see the entire conversation laid out like an IM chat. Rather than create a separate message for each response it adds to the current conversation. After typing 10 responses to 10 incoming messages your inbox still shows the one message, not a pile of 20 individual ones. Nobody does SMS like the Palm Treo. Unfortunately, that's about all they do well.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #26
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
well it had to be someone

point is, there are a few that thinks threaded SMS is pointless, however, there are many out there that want and feel the need for threaded sms including myself.
You say only a few find it pointless thats just in this thread. Its been discussed here many times and there are just as many who say its not needed as there are those who say it is.

I really dont care if they make an app or not I have used the treo with it and I can take it or leave it. Its no skin of my back I was just giving my opinion like everyone else.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #27
pip611

Model: 8330

How do I turn on show sent messages just for my SMS inbox? Not my BES inbox.

Last edited by pip611; 06-24-2008 at 09:36 AM..
Old 06-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #28
JG in SB

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st3d View Post
they kind of are already threaded...

if i look at an old sms, it shows the previous sms's from the same person as well.
Yeah, but they aren't in that cute "comic book bubble" format. Wouldn't that make your life more complete and fulfilling?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #29
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

When I look in the Messaging Inbox on my Treo I see 3 messages; one for a conversation with John, another one for a conversation with Alexis, and a third for my conversation with Anne. All together it's like 53 responses from me and a like amount from them. Click on any conversation and it opens up like an AOL IM chat session. Muy convenient. Some of these conversations span several hours. When I go back and forth from one conversation to another it gets really messy. Scrolling through to the last message from any one person would be a pain in the butt, especially with over 50 individual messages that would be in my Inbox without threaded SMS.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #30
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
just because you don't understand the need for it and delete yours as soon as you're done, doesn't mean there isn't a need or a market out there for it. WinMo never had threaded SMS, but there was such a strong demand for it, that when Palm made the Treo 750 running WinMo, they decided to implement threaded SMS just for that device.
Read these boards long enough and you will understand. If BB doesn't have it then they must not need it. Don't let it drive you crazy because its like arguing with a wall.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #31
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

If you hate the BB so much Argon why do you still bother (troll) us????
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #32
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
If you hate the BB so much Argon why do you still bother (troll) us????
I don't hate it, in fact I think the BB is a great device and would own one again if the device fit my needs at the time. Despite owning an iphone, I don't think its the greatest thing since sliced bread. It could take some ques from BB and I think BB could take some from the iphone. I was only stating that some feel if the BB doesn't have a particular feature, then it either isn't important or not needed and for that poster not to get worked up over it as that is the way message boards are. I'm sure some iphone zealots feel that way too, but that's not me.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 06-24-2008 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #33
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Fair answer......
Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #34
wunderbar

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

A lot of people here also don't understand that while there are a lot of people who do not use SMS, there is an entire generation of people that are/have grown up with SMS, and those people are starting to look more towards Blackberries. SMS is a HUGE feature for a lot of people. look at a product like the T-Mobile Sidekick. That is pretty much a phone designed for SMS first, everything else second.

RIM would be very smart to drastically improve how Blackberries handle SMS, as a new generation of smartphone buyers are looking for the best SMS experience possible.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 06-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

RIM claims the bold will have an updated SMS UI. I wonder if this means threaded sms.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:48 AM   #36
berryaddict1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Vodafone

with the bold you can see previous sms's i dont know if you would really class this as threaded sms though

just thought that i would add that
Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #37
PDM

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Some of you may not have seen this is "Aftermarket Section" : http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...-open-all.html
Old 07-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #38
muck

Carrier: optus

havent we all moved to email?

what are we doing still sending sms?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #39
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

What's sms?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #40
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I don't find it on my new BOLD which I think is a great device. I would say this is my biggest dissapointment of all which can of course be fixed by an OS upgrade. I hope they do it.
Closed Thread