scaredpoet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousslav
Hi guys,
i have a 8703e from sprint and i downloaded the software from the site like you told me to. When i connect it to my laptop the device manager recognizes it but the sprint modem program does not. It says connect phone when it is already connected.
Is the desktop closed BEFORE you connect the phone and launch the connection manager? If not, make sure you've closed the desktop first.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
gowithscott

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New AT&T
Default 8703e Tethered Vs. PC Card?

Can anybody provide their opinions/results regarding the difference between using their BB 8703e and Broadband Connect vs. Connecting using their pc card adapter?

In particular, is there any difference in speed? What are your experiences? I am thinking of getting rid of my pc card because I use it less and less now. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #23
Brules

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowithscott
Can anybody provide their opinions/results regarding the difference between using their BB 8703e and Broadband Connect vs. Connecting using their pc card adapter?

In particular, is there any difference in speed? What are your experiences? I am thinking of getting rid of my pc card because I use it less and less now. Thanks.
I have the 8703e and Sprint. I had the Sprint Broadband card, and I honestly cant tell the difference in the speed. They both use the same network, the same code, the same app to interface with. The only bonus to the card might be the flip up antaena....but the BB's get such good reception, I really can't say it makes a differnce. For $50 vs $15/$40, it is worth it to drop the card.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #24
seaneboyee
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30159745

I have used both the Sprint and Verizon 8703e as modems and they both work great. I moved from Verizon to Sprint because the broadband access is built into their BB data plans and the EVDO reception is Hawaii is just about the same for both carriers. In regards to the PCMCIA EVDO card, I've used the one for both Sprint and Verizon, the Sprint one had the flip-up antenna and the Verizon one had the built-in one and I couldn't see a difference when compared using the 8703e as the modems.

Sprint BlackBerry 8703e
Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #25
aetoole

Carrier: Verizon

Now I am really confused. I just got the 8703e and switched to Verizon. I forgot to get the extra service for $15/month to use it as a tethered modem. I called Verizon Wireless to confirm that this was indeed the cost and to add the service and they told me that the 8703e could NOT be used as a tethered modem! They said that I had to get the older 7250 or the slimmer 7130e model. I really want to keep the 8703e but am not sure what the real story is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have about 10 days left in my evaluation period and can make any changes w/out penalty. Thanks! Elina
Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #26
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by aetoole
Now I am really confused. I just got the 8703e and switched to Verizon. I forgot to get the extra service for $15/month to use it as a tethered modem. I called Verizon Wireless to confirm that this was indeed the cost and to add the service and they told me that the 8703e could NOT be used as a tethered modem! They said that I had to get the older 7250 or the slimmer 7130e model. I really want to keep the 8703e but am not sure what the real story is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have about 10 days left in my evaluation period and can make any changes w/out penalty. Thanks! Elina
Call em back! I use my 8703e as a tethered modem all the time.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #27
aetoole

And, you have Verizon as your provider yes? Have to say my experience w/ Verizon thus far has been challenging but I luv this 8703e (my 1st BB) and will try and stick it out.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #28
aetoole

Default I am Connected and Its Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff
Call em back! I use my 8703e as a tethered modem all the time.
Right you were. I called back and a very nice (and patient) Verizon Tech got me connected. For what it is worth, I had typed in the additional initialization info posted here on the forum to help get connected and in the end it was this bit of APN info that prevented me from connecting. Once the Tech had me remove it it was smooth sailing. Very fast connection. Have to say I am impressed.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #29
gowithscott

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New AT&T
Default Thanks for the input

Thank you all for providing your input on the differences between using your pc card and tethering via a BB. I think I am ready to make the move, but may wait until the 8800 series comes out. I want to see if I would prefer that device. So many choices!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #30
stephers5

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I hook my 8703e to my pc or laptop when Cox Comm goes on the blink, which is often in Phx. Yes, you get more than you pay for with the $15/mo fee, but IT WORKS!! Go for it!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:18 PM   #31
mexicoruss

Model: curve
PIN: 2431CB72
Carrier: t mobile

If I use my 8703 as a tethered modem (i don't know what that is) while I am in mexico will it be part of my unlimited data package or will it apply to my international long dostance rate? Just wondering
Old 03-01-2007, 02:21 AM   #32
peconi

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Moble

Hey, is there a way to use Sprint's connection manager with T-mobile?

I use Cingular's connection manager for my T-mobile card in the EDGE modem on the computer - so I thought I can maybe use Sprint's ConnMannager for connecting to the internet

Or is there a T-mobile version?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #33
Out2Late

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

FOR ROGERS CUSTOMERS:

How To - Connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS
or EDGE BlackBerry device as a tethered modem
Last Updated: 18 August 2006
Article Number: KB-05196
Summary
This article applies to the following:
• BlackBerry 7130c™
• BlackBerry 8707v Wireless Handheld™
• BlackBerry® Desktop Software version 4.1 and later
• Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows XP
• Personal computer or laptop computer with an Intel® 486 or higher processor

Note: Research In Motion does not support using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem. If you encounter a problem while administering this procedure, contact your service provider.
Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry device as a tethered modem.
Procedure
A BlackBerry device (with tethered modem capability) can be used as an external modem to
connect a personal computer or laptop computer to the Internet.
Summary of Tasks
To set up a tethered modem, complete the following tasks:
1. Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later (one time only)
2. Set up the Internet Access Point Name (APN) (one time only)
3. Configure dial-up networking (one time only)
4. Connect the BlackBerry device to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
5. Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking
Task 1
Page 2 of 4
Install BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.1 or later on the computer.
When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that enable the BlackBerry device to
communicate through the USB port and virtual COM port are installed. The Standard Modem,
which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
Note: If you are upgrading your BlackBerry Desktop Software from version 4.0 to 4.1, the
required Virtual COM Port and Standard Modem might be removed during the upgrade process.
If this is the case, re-install the BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.1 or later and choose the Repair
option to re-install these components.
Task 2
Set up Internet APN.
1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
5. In the Standard Modem Properties window, Click the Advanced Tab.
6. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:
+cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"
Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN,
contact your service provider.
7. Click OK.
8. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.
Task 3
To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that corresponds with the operating
system you are using.
Windows XP Operating System
1. Go to Start > Settings > Network Connections.
2. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
3. Click Next.
Page 3 of 4
4. Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
5. Select Setup my connection manually. Click Next.
6. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
7. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard Modem check box.
Click Next.
8. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
9. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
11. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider. Click Next.
12. Click Finish.
13. In the Connect window, click Properties.
14. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the
Connect using heading, then click Configure.
15. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check
box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
16. In the Properties window, click OK.
Windows 2000 Operating System
1. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.
3. Double-click Make New Connection. The Network Connection Wizard opens.
4. Click Next.
5. Choose Dial-up to private network. Click Next.
6. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
7. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
8. Type a name for your connection. Click Finish.
9. In the Connect window, click Properties.
10. In the Properties window, verify that Modem – Standard Modem is selected, then click
Configure.
11. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check
box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK.
12. In the Properties window, click OK.
Task 4
Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer and verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager
displays Connected. The device must be identified by BlackBerry Desktop Manager in order for
the modem to establish a connection.
Important: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running for the tethered modem to function.
Note: If Microsoft Outlook® is not operating in cache mode, you might receive a message
Page 4 of 4
indicating that BlackBerry Desktop Manager cannot contact the messaging server. If this
message appears, click Cancel to proceed.
Task 5
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry Browser or any third-party
applications on the BlackBerry device. An active data session may interfere with the modem
connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
3. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new connection>.
4. Enter the user name and password provided by your service provider.
5. Click Dial.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #34
osur609

Model: 8703g

i have an 8703e and it is now my wireless modem, tethered', it is cool, it works faster than my verizon card. search the web site for 'tethered modem', you need the usb cable that came with the phone and down the blackberry manager. it is step by step in the instructions. tip the dial up number you will use is really #777 as it says!!
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #35
Kroudy

Carrier: alltel

does anyone know how to set up the 8703 e as a tethered modem for the alltel network?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #36
Ronquillo

Model: 8830

thanks, scaredpoet ... just signed up to the forum to get more info regarding using my sprint 8703 e as tethered modem and I followed your instructions ... worked like a charm ... no kinks ... thanks again!!!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #37
mmcapone

PIN: N/A

Ok I have an 8703e with Sprint, I Downloaded the software off the link provided by "scaredpoet" and it works great. Definatly impressed with the speed. Thanks Alot!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #38
Walt
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130

I dumped that Verizon pc card that was costing me $59.99 per month and now use my Sprint 8703 connected to my laptop and it doesn't cost me anything extra. I saved $60.00 per month and the speeds are faster. I can't believe Verizon charges it's customers $15.00 per month to tether when Sprint gives it to us for free. By the way with
Sprint you don't have to do any crazy stuff to use the BB as a modem. Just download the Sprint Connection Manager and plug in the BB. I do it all the time. I'm connected that way as I type this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowithscott View Post

Last edited by Walt; 07-24-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #39
xyotek

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel

"does anyone know how to set up the 8703 e as a tethered modem for the alltel network?"

Yes. on phone dial ##000000 and then under your user id should be ph#@bb.alltel.net and the MIP User ID should be test. Then setup a standard modem in windows, with the dial number #777. Make sure your desktop software is installed and open and then hook up the BB to usb, then click your connection and hit dial. Official blackberry tether support for alltel is tentatively scheduled for 7/27/07. The process may be different from there.

Last edited by xyotek; 07-26-2007 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #40
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

I've used QPST to modify the M.IP settings, and my PC can recognize the 'Standard Modem' as well as dial out. I'm getting an invalid username/password when it tries to authenticate

Dialup #: #777
Username: [email address]
Password: verizon (i've also tried vzw as a password)

This is on an 8703e

Any help will be greatly appreciated

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Closed Thread