Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
AndyT3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Boost Mobile
Question Hi, and a few questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, my names Andy and I'm just about to step into the BlackBerry world. This coming Monday I plan on ordering my unlocked red Pearl 8100. I know its a few years old, but financially, this is just where I'm at with getting an unlocked BlackBerry. So anyway, I was just wondering for those that own the 8100, what do you like and dislike about the phone? Also, and accessories I should pick up? I was looking to pick up one of those silicone skins and the desktop charging pod. Anything else? Also, what about apps? I don't have a data plan, so I'm not sure if I can even have apps?

I know this is a lot, so please forgive me if I come off a little "slow", but I appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Hi and welcome to both BBF and the BlackBerry (BB) world! The Pearl has a really appealing form factor with all the features of a regular BlackBerry. Some people even find the SureType system quicker to type on than a normal QWERTY keyboard. The only thing I don't like about it as much as say a Curve or Bold is the screen. Then again I am biased because I am used to the more generous screen of those devices than the skinner one found on Pearl. But the trade off is that a Curve or Bold is bigger and may not be as convenient to carry around.

As far as accessories, charging pod and some sort of protective casing (either silicone or hardcase) is a good place to start. Know that if you use either, you'll have to take the phone out to put it in the charging pod. This could become quite a hassle. The other alternative is to use the leather pouch that your BB comes with. It still protects the phone, puts it to sleep (standby mode) when you're not using it, and it's easy to take out to put it on the charging pod.

The other thing I would look into is a screen protector. You don't have to get anything fancy. I got one that cost $2 from ebay and it does what it's supposed to: protect the screen from scratches. That way if it does get scratched up all you have to do is replace the screen protector.

As far as apps go, that's a very personal decision. It all depends on what you need personally -- and everybody has different needs. Unfortunately without a data plan or even wifi, you won't be take advantage of a lot of apps which do require a data plan. And yes as you mentioned, without a data plan (or wifi) it will be very difficult for you to get a lot of the apps in the first place.

Since you haven't ordered the phone yet, you might consider a 8120. It's the same form factor as the 8100 but comes with wifi. It will still be somewhat limited in terms of capability because you don't have a data plan, but at least you get use wifi especially if you are in areas with ready access to it.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
AndyT3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Great. Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, due to car troubles, (right front hub went), I have to put off ordering the phone until my next pay check, which will be next Thursday. :(
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Make sure you read our FAQ and use the SEARCH feature. Also read through the 8100 section.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I would go for the 8120 just because it has wifi, the keypad isn't as squishy once it is broken in (you 8100 people know what i mean), the micro sd card slot is on the outside of the phone, and i believe the camera is upgraded from a 1.3mp to a 2mp
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (L'neuf trois)

Ah yes that reminds me, I think the 8120 has a nicer keyboard -- the buttons are a bit bigger, or at least better designed than the 8100 which I find a bit more cramped.
Closed Thread