Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
BlackberryPhobe

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Help needed with Initialising and BESAdmin Account

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping one of you clever people out there can help me.

I have recently installed Exchange 2007 on Windows 2003 64Bit OS.

I have installed Blackberry Manager on a seperate OS (Win 2003 SP1)

The software and the sql databases all seem to be up and running, but when I add a user account in and attempt to sync with my device, it throws up the message about it "taking some minutes to sync" - this has been going on for hours now, so I'm guessing it's something I need to do.

I tried my best to follow the Blackberry "official" guide, but I found it to be very vague (maybe it's just me!) so have been following the more intuitive guides supplied here and on other forums.

But, I have ran out of luck with this activation process.

I have created the BESAdmin account and have assigned permissions "Exchange Info" and "Domain User" - is there any other permissions I need to assign? I have also given BESAdmin local admin rights on the host server for Blackberry Manager, to install and configure.

When it comes to loading my users into the Manager Software V4.1.1 I can browse to AD for them and add them in, but they just wont sync with any handheld i connect to the server vis the usb cable.

I have reinstalled BES and started over again, even killing the BESAdmin account and starting over again, I also ran the commands for the Exchange Shell console which are listed in the getting started guide in one of the .pdf docs for the Blackberry setup.

So, what am I doing wrong? I feel like a total idiot as my boss thinks this should all be a straight forward process and it probably should be, I have just installed Exchange 2007 and had no problems with that!!!

Basically, what permissions should i add to the BESAdmin account? I've assigned it the "send as" permissions in the Advanced options of AD. Do I add it to the users I want to have blackberrys, and if so, where do I add it in? Against their exchange security properties or somewhere else?

Please please help....their is a pint of beer in this for whoever saves me from this hell.

Best regards

BlackberryPhobe
Old 04-15-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
BlackberryPhobe

Hi, good morning all.

I was wondering if any of you could help me with the above issue?

If I'm not making sense, please ask me for further info, I realised last night that its version 4.1.4 of Blackberry Manager I have installed.

I have one call to RIM under my contract, but from what I'm reading in the additional threads, I could be onto these guys for hours and still not make any progress.

Please help before I go crazy!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Cmaass32

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Just so you know, i had some issues with Permissions and setup. I called Blackberry using the 1 free tech support call and they had me up and running in literally and half an hour. It's worth calling as I was going nuts for days trying to figure out my issues.

Some other info. The BESAdmin account should only be a member of Domain Users unless the BES is installed on your domain controller in which that case it should also have the built in Administrators group.

Did you install the BES while logged in as administrator or under the BESadmin user account?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
BlackberryPhobe

Hi, thanks for replying.

I do have that one "phone a friend call" to RIM...I may need to use it.

On further inspection of the BES software on the server (not the mail server) I discovered in the Event Viewer, the error message below

"Service failed to start, generating error 5302" - So I had a look and its to do with MAPI. I have ensured that I have both the same version of the mapi client on the bes and exchange box.

When I went to the Blackberry help, it talks about editing the Registry, but doesnt give a solution that I need.

I created and installed the BES software under the BESAdmin account which has local admin permissions on the file server where i installed it.

So today in anger, I uninstalled and completely reinstalled the BES software and attemted a Wireless connection to the handheld. The user account I used received an email from the Blackberry Network, a .dat file, but it just looks like this 5302 error is causing the problems as I checked and double checked the permissions on the BESadmin account and everything looks fine.

Has anyone else experienced this error on a separate machine and if so, how did you fix it?

I feel I'm not far away in terms of getting this working, but maybe I'm just missing a trick somewhere???

Again, many thanks in advance for reading and hopefully posting a reponse.

Regards
Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
BlackberryPhobe

I got it working!!!!!!!!!!!

Permissions and I installed the Exchange Management tools onto my BES server seemed to be the key.

The 'official' guides supplied by RIM - waste of time.

Cheers
Closed Thread