Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Razor1973
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: AT&T
Question Sprint/Nextel 7250 - Don't have a "Compose SMS" option

Please Login to Remove!

This is my first post here and it might also be my last, as I am not a Blackberry user (I am a Symbian guy). However, a friend of mine who owns a 7250 from Sprint/Nextel and is technically-challenged ("online" and "forum" are two curse words for him) is asking me if he can send SMS's from his Blackberry.

"Of course", I go and I grab it so that I can show him how simple it is (how hard can it be, really?). Well, I can't seem to find a way to create a text message, so I go online to see if the device is SMS-capable. Apparently, it is.

I then searched these forums and some people did ask how to do this. The usual response was, "That's such a silly question", although there was also the "RTFM"-type. Seems there should be an option in the Messaging application to "Compose SMS." However, even though he has "Compose E-Mail", he doesn't have one for SMS's.

Is this disabled by Sprint/Nextel? Is there anything he needs to activate with them so that they can send some sort of activation code to his phone? How does this work?

Only helpful responses please.

Thank you all in advance!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Razor1973

Guys, 13 views and no replies?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

You should be able to compose SMS messages on a Sprint BlackBerry exactly as you describe. I would try a simply hard reset of the device (remove the battery).

If that doesn't do it, try re-registering on the wireless network. From the home screen go to Option > Host Routing Table > press scroll wheel and select Register Now.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Tylar

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1973
This is my first post here and it might also be my last, as I am not a Blackberry user (I am a Symbian guy). However, a friend of mine who owns a 7250 from Sprint/Nextel and is technically-challenged ("online" and "forum" are two curse words for him) is asking me if he can send SMS's from his Blackberry.

"Of course", I go and I grab it so that I can show him how simple it is (how hard can it be, really?). Well, I can't seem to find a way to create a text message, so I go online to see if the device is SMS-capable. Apparently, it is.

I then searched these forums and some people did ask how to do this. The usual response was, "That's such a silly question", although there was also the "RTFM"-type. Seems there should be an option in the Messaging application to "Compose SMS." However, even though he has "Compose E-Mail", he doesn't have one for SMS's.

Is this disabled by Sprint/Nextel? Is there anything he needs to activate with them so that they can send some sort of activation code to his phone? How does this work?

Only helpful responses please.

Thank you all in advance!

I have a Sprint 7250 purchased post Sprint/Nextel merge/acquisition.

the only way I can compose an SMS message, other than replying to one received, is to go to teh message screen, press "t" to get you to the top of the current day, press the scroll wheel in and I have the option to compose email, pin, place call or compose sms. In that order.

4.0 OS on the BB too.

you can IM me as listed on this site if you have further questions . . .
Old 07-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Naked Wife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

If its an iden Blackberry 7520 (not CDMA 7250) it isn't SMS capable. It should be capable of sending MMS with OS 4.1.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #6
Razor1973

Thumbs up

d_fisher, thanks. I think a hard-reset is a bit drastic and should be his last option. I will advise him to try re-registering the device on the network as you suggest, however, look at Naked Wife's response. Seems that's the real reason here.

Tylar, thanks. I too tried sending him an SMS from my Nokia and replying on his BB. He gets my message, but when he opens it and goes to the menu, there's no option to reply. Look at Naked Wife's response. Seems that's the real reason here.

Naked Wife, you're the man! (Which I learned from your signature.) It is indeed a 7520 (I can tell now because of the antenna) and he's had it for a while now, so there's a big chance he still has the old firmware. On the Blackberry page for this device (I have less than 10 posts, so I cannot post URL's yet), it says it's SMS-capable, but that's most likely because they are being made/shipped already with v4.1 installed.

What's your recommendation? Should he take it back to a Sprint/Nextel store and tell them he wants to be able to send SMS's and they should not have a problem upgrading him or should he (me, of course) try upgrading it himself? Is it an easy procedure consisting of connecting the BB to his PC and running something easily downloadable or is it something dangerous and that should only be attempted by a BB geek?

Thanks a lot once again!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Naked Wife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

You can download the OS update to the PC he syncs his Blackberry with and then sync the device. If he's on a BES Im not sure what the process is.

Here is a link to the update

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...B9D5EE16489088
Old 07-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Tylar

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1973
d_fisher, thanks. I think a hard-reset is a bit drastic and should be his last option. I will advise him to try re-registering the device on the network as you suggest, however, look at Naked Wife's response. Seems that's the real reason here.

Tylar, thanks. I too tried sending him an SMS from my Nokia and replying on his BB. He gets my message, but when he opens it and goes to the menu, there's no option to reply. Look at Naked Wife's response. Seems that's the real reason here.

Naked Wife, you're the man! (Which I learned from your signature.) It is indeed a 7520 (I can tell now because of the antenna) and he's had it for a while now, so there's a big chance he still has the old firmware. On the Blackberry page for this device (I have less than 10 posts, so I cannot post URL's yet), it says it's SMS-capable, but that's most likely because they are being made/shipped already with v4.1 installed.

What's your recommendation? Should he take it back to a Sprint/Nextel store and tell them he wants to be able to send SMS's and they should not have a problem upgrading him or should he (me, of course) try upgrading it himself? Is it an easy procedure consisting of connecting the BB to his PC and running something easily downloadable or is it something dangerous and that should only be attempted by a BB geek?

Thanks a lot once again!!!

hmph. Yah I had a 7520 and experienced the same thing and now have a 7250 and no issue, staying with Sprint. Knowing that it's not a 7250 kinda explains the issue as there's a big difference.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
Razor1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Wife
Here is a link to the update...
It really is an easy task, it seems.

The upgrade is offered by the manufacturer to the end consumer, even knowing the end consumer will most likely be a business person who can't be bothered with these tasks and much rather have his/her company pay for the provider to upgrade all their equipment. Makes me re-think the friendliness of a Nokia.

Now, I will keep helping my friend and do this upgrade myself. (Trust me when I say that, no matter how simple this seems, it's all gibberish to him.) He obviously doesn't have any software installed in his Mac (which he barely uses), but should I assume the Blackberry software:

1) is available for Mac OS, and
2) will allow him to back up his contacts and messages?

If not, what alternatives do I have to back up his important data before performing the upgrade? And will the device automatically detect and connect to the Sprint/Nextel network once upgraded?

Your help is invaluable! Thanks again!

P.S. I was always intrigued by BB's, but always turned off by the idea of not having multi-tasking. From reading a bit on it, I realize how wrong I've been. Unless this was true about the first generations and that's all I knew.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Razor1973

Oh, I found PocketMac (pocketmac[dot]net -- Still not able to post URL's), so I guess that answers question #1 (no Mac support with the BB Desktop Software) and part of question #2 (at least this is one alternative, but I wonder if there's any other ones out there, especially free ones).
Old 08-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
g3nlu5

Model: 7520

i have a blackberry 7520 and just got a text messaging package. i also cannot find the "compose sms" anywhere on the FREAKING PHONE!

is this something the Nextel| store should fix??

I just want to send/recieve text messages...How hard can it be!?!?
Closed Thread