Old 10-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Debbiev

Model: 9350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telcel
Default How to activate the Internet on my Storm 9350

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone

I'm from South Africa and currently I'm travelling in Mexico. Managed to get a Telcel sim card working, but their BIS costs are very high compared to less than US$10 I was paying in SA as a pay as you go user. So I refuse to make Carlos Slim any richer, but I do need to access the Internet on my Storm. I don't care about email, I just need a browser.

I read here that there is a way to do that : bloggerdollar dot hubpages dot com/hub/How-to-Connect-to-Internet-with-Your-BlackBerry-without-Paying-For-Data-Plan]How to Connect to Internet with Your BlackBerry without Paying For Data Plan[/url] but I'm confused as to where to put these settings.
On my phone the box with APN Settings Enable is ticked and this info is displayed: APN: emgsm.v2w3g.com

Can anyone help me??

Your help is much appreciated!
Debbie
Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: How to activate the Internet on my Storm 9350

You need to pay for it like the rest of us do. Using data without paying for it isn't the right thing to do in my book.

Unless you can find a pay-as-you go data provider in Mexico that covers where you are, you might be out of luck. You could try using a generic data plan, but that might be a poor workaround. BBs are desigbned to use the BIS/BES plan as the data package for Internet and everything else. The problem would be that you need the proper service books from the carrier to make things work. Have you checked with the carrier you are using to see if they have a solution?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Debbiev

Model: 9350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telcel

Thanks, but I'm not suggesting that I use it for free. Obviously I would pay data costs for bandwidth, I just do not want to activate BBS at 500 peso's a month. Get it? The argument is that with any other phone you can access the internet, just not with a BB. Thanks for your comment.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

A BB isn't just any other phone, its a Blackberry and it requires a unique BB dataplan to operate as intended. And please drop the attitude. We don't need it.

Have you looked at our FAQ? tehre are two things there that might help:

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ

Have you called the carrier to see if they offered a dat aplan that fits your needs, budget and expectations? And if you want email, BBM, Facebook, maps, etc. you will have to have the BB data plan. No other option is available.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 10-04-2011 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbiev View Post
Hi everyone

I'm from South Africa and currently I'm travelling in Mexico. Managed to get a Telcel sim card working, but their BIS costs are very high compared to less than US$10 I was paying in SA as a pay as you go user. So I refuse to make Carlos Slim any richer, but I do need to access the Internet on my Storm. I don't care about email, I just need a browser.

I read here that there is a way to do that : bloggerdollar dot hubpages dot com/hub/How-to-Connect-to-Internet-with-Your-BlackBerry-without-Paying-For-Data-Plan]How to Connect to Internet with Your BlackBerry without Paying For Data Plan[/url] but I'm confused as to where to put these settings.
On my phone the box with APN Settings Enable is ticked and this info is displayed: APN: emgsm.v2w3g.com

Can anyone help me??

Your help is much appreciated!
Debbie

Sure sounds like you're trying to get it for free to me.
Closed Thread