Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM   #81
pierre15208
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

In case anyone's interested in trying this link to get the directions:
This page has moved.This page has moved.
It's no longer active, you'll get redirected to another page talking about PSP's
http://moonlightscribbler.blogspot.com

Last edited by pierre15208; 08-21-2006 at 06:40 PM..
Old 08-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #82
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Today is your lucky day....

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ve-policy.html

BTW - this was posted no more than 45 minutes ago. It was right in front of you...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #83
Kitskidd

Model: 3150
Carrier: Rogers

Hello everyone.. As everyone else has said.. Dan your the man !! I also bought a BB8700 used.. and of course it had an existing ITPolicy on it.. cant surf the web.. it locks on me every 20 min.. you know the deal.. IM concerned about following the wipe procedure.. does it remove the Rogers Branding on it ?? and the BT issues.. Is it only the Desktop sync that has trouble.. or the entire BT function.. can I still use my headset.. and transfer files?? Hmm.. Thanks KK
Old 10-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #84
betabob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

I thought I read somewhere earlier that pointing to Dan's vanilla policy.bin file only works with BES 3.x - is that true? My company is converting me to 4.1 in the near future, and so it'd be nice to know ahead of time if I'll lose some of the functionality that pointing to the policy.bin file enables for me.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #85
slance66
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c
Carrier: ATT
Default IT Policy should attach to BES, not device

I'm a new Blackberry owner and user. My 7130c just got hooked up to the BES, and suddenly, I can't install any apps. Annoying to be sure. I read this whole thread and I think you BES admins are forgetting something, the corporation doesn't always own the device. My company made me pay for it...I own it. You should have the power to disconnect me from BES, but not to send a kill policy or otherwise disable MY device. Once disconnected from BES, the user should be able to delete any policy from within the device. Each BB device should have a "disable BES" option, and once excercized, wiping the device should obliterate any security policy. The preventing theft argument doesn't wash, as no company can disable the ordinary cell phones it issues to employees. Nor can it do so with more expensive items like laptops. The BES security policy should function like VPN software, when enabled by the user, he/she can access BES, when disabled, he/she can't.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #86
timmyc123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

any news on a bluetooth fix?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:26 AM   #87
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I suspect my IT fools read this forum. they just restricted download of BB messenger and Google maps and all software not supplied by them.
They claim Google maps will allow remote access. i really hate people who have no idea how the BB works but are in charge of the process.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 AM   #88
slance66

As I thought about this even further, it seemed even more absurd. I can download whatever I please onto my laptop, and VPN directly into the network. Yet with a Blackberry, BES is a push service. It sends me e-mails. The only thing I can send into my network is e-mails, could they have a virus? Sure...but anybody could send an e-mail with a virus into any corporate mail server from any e-mail account. Can a BES admin explain just what security risk a Blackberry creates? Google Maps? How is that a threat on a Blackberry, when it's not a threat on a laptop?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #89
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

slance66,

If your network admins are on the ball, you may be able to download anything on your laptop, but you should be able to install anything. On top of that, your laptop should have anti-virus on it. And it's protected by a strong password. And you don't pay for bandwidth by the minute.

Remember that a BB on a BES is ALREADY inside the network. There is a POC app out there that uses MDS as a vector.

And it's a lot easier to misplace a BB than a laptop.

Your BB may be owned by you, but it's on the company's network. Our duty as admins is to protect the network. If you don't like it, I'm sure your admin would be glad to take you off the network.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #90
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

These last few threads are why we do not allow personally owned BBs on our network. Or Treos or anything else for that matter.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #91
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

So I take it Google maps is a threat to Admins. Or is it just a control thing. Google mays for BB is only available OTA
Old 10-30-2006, 01:38 PM   #92
slance66

So does my BB connect to the network other than through BES? That's the link to the Network right? It doesn't use the corporate network at all for me to use Google Maps, or Berry 411, or to place calls, or surf the web, it uses Cingular's network for that. So only with respect to e-mails sent to and from BES, as well as synchronization with a PIM, does it connect to the network, right?

As for antivirus, I would hope that the mail server has that...since there's no virus I could send with a BB that anyone couldn't send from any e-mail account anywhere. It just seems that banning apps is an easy security policy, even if it's overkill. There must be less intrusive ways to protect the network.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #93
CanuckBB

Model: 9900

Banning apps is partly a security thing. It's also a support thing. There is no way that support people can possibly guess at all possible configurations out there. Or test every possible software conflicts. That's why we lock down BBs, and laptops.

They're the company's assets, not yours.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #94
slance66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
Banning apps is partly a security thing. It's also a support thing. There is no way that support people can possibly guess at all possible configurations out there. Or test every possible software conflicts. That's why we lock down BBs, and laptops.

They're the company's assets, not yours.
Except, as I said earier...it IS my asset. I own it and can use it as I like. I understand that if the company provides the BB, they can control it as they see fit. However, where the employee owns the BB (I had to pay for it under company policy) any IT policy should be as limited as possible and should try to balance security and support concerns with the user's rights to use his/her device as they see fit. For example, I can't even download themes and ringtones. That's nothing but laziness on the part of the admin in any policy (even with company owned devices). They didn't take the time to ban just those items that pose a security threat, and instead banned everything.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #95
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I just bought a 7290 from off of Ebay and low and behold an IT security policy. fortunately I have been monitoring this thread and know how to fix it and make the device completely functional to myself. i absolutely understand the admins need for security. but id like full use of this device now.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #96
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slance66
Except, as I said earier...it IS my asset. I own it and can use it as I like. I understand that if the company provides the BB, they can control it as they see fit. However, where the employee owns the BB (I had to pay for it under company policy) any IT policy should be as limited as possible and should try to balance security and support concerns with the user's rights to use his/her device as they see fit. For example, I can't even download themes and ringtones. That's nothing but laziness on the part of the admin in any policy (even with company owned devices). They didn't take the time to ban just those items that pose a security threat, and instead banned everything.
Sounds to me like you have to get them to push on the default (blank) IT policy, and then get off of their BES...
Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #97
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Thanks, The 7290 I bought off of ebay is now completely usable by me. Now to start tweaking it
Old 10-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #98
joginder

Model: Passp

thats why this forums is there.. poeple are life savers here.. this policy thing was the biggest stupid thing once you leave the company.. thats why I won my BB and denied employer's requests to add me to BES
Old 10-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #99
StarmanDX

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Be warned that flashing on a blank policy still doesn't re-enable Bluetooth Syncing (and it is disabled by default on ALL IT policies, including the 'Default' one,) and it also keeps Split Pipes disabled, which can cause some network access issues. The best way is to find someone with a BES/BES Express and ask them to make you a policy that has everything enabled then enterprise act to their BES and get that policy - that way you can get ALL the functionality, some of which is just flat-out removed as soon as any IT policy is applied and does not come back even with the policy.bin from these forums.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #100
timmyc123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarmanDX
Be warned that flashing on a blank policy still doesn't re-enable Bluetooth Syncing (and it is disabled by default on ALL IT policies, including the 'Default' one,) and it also keeps Split Pipes disabled, which can cause some network access issues. The best way is to find someone with a BES/BES Express and ask them to make you a policy that has everything enabled then enterprise act to their BES and get that policy - that way you can get ALL the functionality, some of which is just flat-out removed as soon as any IT policy is applied and does not come back even with the policy.bin from these forums.
Does anyone on here have one that can remove the bluetooth restriction?
Closed Thread