Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default No emails on BB when Outlook open

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

End user here so go easy....

The company I do contract work for just switched to BES and Exchange Server from POP3. So I've reset up my accounts in both Outlook and BB.

My problem is that I only get my emails now on my BB when my Outlook 2007 is closed. If I'm working during the day they only come into my Outlook. Outlook closed they come into my BB.

Can you help? I've asked the company IT but haven't heard from them.....

Many thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Ultimately, it will be your company's IT that will need to provide the fix, as it appears that this is something that is in your new BES' settings. Not much you can do from your PC or your BlackBerry.

Are other BlackBerry users in your company having the same issue?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for quick reply - I'll wait for the IT guys to come back to me...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Guys, to me this sounds like it is a PST delivery thing. I suspect Outlook is set to deliver your mail to your local PST file instead of being delivered to your Exchange Mailbox. You can check in Outlook. On the left hand payne, check to see if the small "house" icon is over the heading "Mailbox - your name" OR if it is over maybe "Personal Folders" Either one will be at the top of the list. If it is not over "Mailbox-your name" then your mail is being taken off the exchange server and being delivered locally which is why you dont see it when the Outlook client is running.

Theoretically, when you start outlook, those message that have arrived since you last started the client get delivered to your local PST and may leave your bb, depending on if your BB admin has hard delete turned on on the BES.

If the above applies, you can change/correct this by going to Tools -> Account Settings in Outlook then clicking the Data Files tab then selecting "Mailbox-your name" below and clicking "Set as Default" button above.

You will get a warning, say ok. Stop then restart Outlook. You will now notice that your Mailbox-your name is in the top of the list on the left payne.

There are some positive caveats to this that I can explain if you need, just let me know. Some people deliver mail to local pst to prevent from ever having to deal with quota issues but this really prevents you from taking full advantage of what Exchange does best at it's core features.

But with Blackberries, your mail MUST reside on your exchange mailbox as the BES is extending your "Exchange" mailbox to your BB. Not your personal folders.

If all was true above, you will now have wireless sync capabilities of address book, calendar, tasks etc. You MAY need to move contacts and calendar items from your personal folder Contacts and Calendar up to your Exchange Contacts and Calendar.

Let us know. Hope this was it. Even if not, it may apply to someone down the road.

Last edited by besadmin23; 08-20-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Old 08-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Brendan42
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: If I had a choice, a man-bag like Jack on Day-6.

I concur with besadmin23. Had a user with a similar issue last week, delivering mail to his PST instead of keeping it in the mailbox.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes it is set to go into Personal Folders not Mailbox-my name. Interestingly this is how we were told to set it up.

One question if I change it - does it mean that I essentially have two inbox's? On for other POP3 accts and one for the Exchange account. If so I was hoping to have all my email come into the same Inbox as it's so much easier to see eveything. I'm a consultant and have 4 POP3 accounts and now this one Exchange account.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

if you change the delivery for new mail to your exchange inbox, you pop3 email will be go there too.
you will still have 2 mailboxes until you import your PST folder into your exchange mailbox ( right klick the top level of the pst folder, properties, somewhere is the path to the pst file, copy the path, now, right click on the pst, close. file, import-export, import outlook/pst file, choose the file by pasting from the clipboard, import in corresponding folders in inbox, include subfolders)

not using a pst file has advantages:
the mails are saved on the server, where the chance of data loss normally is less then on a PC.
You can access your mailbox from anywhere, blackberry, other pc, internet, not only on one PC.
This is the preferred method, unless your server is underpowered or has only limited disk capacity.

Last edited by nobody7290; 08-20-2009 at 05:05 PM..
Old 08-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
besadmin23

If your IT folks told you to do it this way it could be a couple of things.
1. Your quota's are low and to prevent issues they said to do this.
2. No offense to them... They don't know what they are doing with Exchange.

There are a ton of reasons that you should have your mail delievered to your exchange mailbox that go way beyond emails. With Exchange you can collaborate and share with other employees by being able to book people to meetings and see their free/busy time. (Not their meeting details, just the free/busy info) As I said before, your contacts, tasks, calendar etc have not been visibly synchronizing to the same place in Outlook.

Now, when you add a contact on your BB, it will show up in the contacts area of Outlook within a minute or so. Same for tasks, notes etc.

The other part that is troubling about them telling you this is that ANY blackberry user in your company will be having the same issue if they followed the instructions which paints a really bad picture for the way the BB's function when in reality it has nothing to do with the bb at all.

If you set up your pop accounts, they will deliver there as well. When replying to message, you will have to choose which address you want the message to come from.

Before you import your pst into your exchange mailbox, I would highly recommend that you determine the size of it first. Based on your description, you may have been using it for a while and it may be big. See if your admins can tell you what, if any, quota you have for Exchange.

I have seen folks try and import a 2GB pst into their exchange mailbox and get totally jacked up if that exceeded their quota. Use caution. I personally would recommend you just manually move your contact, tasks, notes and maybe your inbox from your personal folder up to the exchange mailbox then use your personal folders as a location to archive things locally as your exchange mailbox gets full.

The easiest way to move things from the personal folder to the exchange mailbox is to click the "folder list" icon in the bottom of the left payne. This will give you kind of an explorer view and then you can drag items from the cooresponding folder in your pst to the like folder in the exchange mailbox.

good luck. One note, mail that you bring into the inbox will not populate to your bb, but messages that arrive after you make this change will.

AHH, one other major thing. If you pop your mail into your exchange mailbox, you will NOT be able to respond from those accounts from your BB. IF, you can respond at all, it will be from your company email address.

Honestly, I use gmail for all of my non-business email. You can install it on your bb and do all that stuff from there. You may or may not know this but it is really easy to have gmail "front" all of those other accounts. Then from gmail, you can receive all in one place and send out "as" each of those email addresses and gmail is never seen. You might consider checking it out.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

guys - thanks for all your help. This has been great.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just read the replies in detail....

Quote:
Originally Posted by besadmin23 View Post

AHH, one other major thing. If you pop your mail into your exchange mailbox, you will NOT be able to respond from those accounts from your BB. IF, you can respond at all, it will be from your company email address.
Ahh...so this does seem a major thing. So I either have to get my POP3 email come into the PST's and my Exchange mail into Mailbox-myname (2 inbox's ) OR I can't reply to my POP3 mails from by BB.

Have I got this right? If so is there any other solution to the gmail option?

Thanks again
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
besadmin23

Not exactly. In Outlook you can only have 1 delivery location for mail. And for a BB and BES, it will only deliver mail to the BB that is delivered to the Exchange mailbox... So, while you are pop'ing mail and having it delivered to your Exchange mailbox, your bb is only configured as the corporate email address that's associated to your exchange account. While you may receive the mail at your bb that is pop'ed, you will only be able to respond to them from/as your corp mail account.

Another caveat is that your pop accounts will only deliver to your bb when your outlook client is running as it is the Outlook client that is actively pulling the mail and delivering it to the Exchange mailbox. So no nights and weekends unless you leave a machine running 24x7.

There is an option however. If your bb admin will allow you to set up personal mail on your device, you can configure additional mail accounts on the device. There is usually a "setup mail" icon somewhere on the device. Again, this depends if it isn't restricted by an IT policy. If you are on ATT in the states, just go to BlackBerry Internet Service and create an account. Provide the info asked on the site and configure each pop account. Then your mail will be delivered to your bb through what call BIS via the carrier. This mail will come, depending on your theme, to a seperate mailbox icon, or to your main mailbox. Key is, that you can respond, or create messages now from any of your accounts. You'll get the picture when you compose a message. Scroll up and choose which account to send from.

Good luck. Google is still pretty awesome alternative and if you can't do the above, may be your only choice.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Brendan42
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: If I had a choice, a man-bag like Jack on Day-6.

Again concur with besadmin23. Search google for "T-mobile Blackberry" and you can create an account on their service. I do this with Tmobile in the UK and it works fine.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK - so here's the latest. All set up on Outlook so all mail Exchange and POP3 go into Mailbox-myname. Copied over contacts and calenders into Mailbox but left all other folders on PST as way to big.....

Now get Exchange emails on BB when Outlook open so that problem solved. But now now I'm getting TWO copies of POP3 emails on BB. One comes from the BIS accounts the other from the BES address

Did a search and there seems a lot on Duplicate Emails, but I couldn't pin point my issue exactly.

Hope you guys can help
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 AM   #14
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

I only can think of an outlook rule as a workaround:

Create a new folder in your outlook mailbox, name it "popmailbox" or something else
Make an outlook rule like:
if mail arrives and this mail is received with the account yourpopmailaccount move it to the folder "popmailbox" and stop processing further rules.

That way all mail for the pop account go into one extra folder, which is a good thing anyway. And, if you dont set the blackberry to display this folder on the Handheld, you wont see them.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
besadmin23

Perfect suggestion. And the best part is that now that you are on exchange, that rule will be a 'server side rule' which means it will run even when Outlook is not running. You will probably need to create the rule using the option "with specific words in the recipients address..." and then put your pop account domain.com as the 'specific words'.

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #16
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK - one last question...

So if I create a separate folder in Outlook aren't I back to having my mail delivered into two separate "inbox's" which I wanted to aviod in the first place?

So my options are:

a) Have POP mail go somewhere else either to the PST inbox by changing the data file settings or to a separate folder using a rule

or

b) Have all my Outlook mail (POP and Exchange) come into my Exchange inbox but have duplicate POP emails go to my Berry.

Right?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
besadmin23

Well, yes you are correct but there are a couple cool work arounds. One, for option a, right click on that folder in Outlook and select open in new window. Then you can effectively have two inboxes on your screen. I know this isnt' optimail but an option.

The other would be to create a BB side rule that doesn't deliver the pop mail that arrived to your Exchange inbox to the BB. Then in Outlook, you will have your blended inbox, but those pop messages would deliver to your BB by way of BES but should still arrive by way of BIS. Haven't ever done it but it may work.

Let us know.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #18
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Let me try and explain my full setup and see if I've done as much on this as possible.

Outlook 2007: 1 Exchange address: default inbox folder mailbox-my name
4 POP3 adresses: same inbox

Result: all my emails come into ONE inbox - great!

BB: Corp/Exchange Account set up as https://myexmail.xxxxx.com/owa
2 accounts (hosted by GoDaddy) show up as IMAP
2 accounts (one Yahoo and other other a Gmail domain alias)

Result: the 4 other accounts result in two emails on the BB. One from the actual email address and the other from the xxxxx.com address.

If there's no other solution to this then I guess I'll just have to live with it and make sure that when I reply to emails from the BB I send with the right account and not from the xxxxx.com address.

Thanks for your patience.....
Old 08-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #19
besadmin23

It sounds like you configured your BIS account to get mail from all 4 of the accounts. Correct??

The xxxxxxx.com messages are the ones that arrive at your bb via the exchange/BES delivery??

Did you follow my previous suggestion of: (this has been edited a bit as I made a wording mistake previously)
Create a BB side FILTER to NOT deliver the pop mail that arrivs to your Exchange inbox to the BB. Then in Outlook, you will have your blended inbox, but THOSE pop messages would NOT deliver to your BB by way of BES delivery but should still arrive by way of BIS delivery.

A BIS only provisioned device may/will not have a filter option under your message inbox - options. But your BES/BIS provisioned device should. The BIS filter is managed on your web portal for the control of BIS mail. The filter option you see under options on your device should be the filter applying only to BES delivery.

If you create several filters from the BB, or Desktop Manager if you have that installed, you should be able to stop the delivery of those pop messages that arrive at your exchange inbox. You may have to play around with creating the filter using a wildcard like *unwanted_domain.com. The just set it to NOT DELIVER.

Please let us know how this works out. Very interesting case.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
timc01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Correct on the first two points.

I checked my BB under message inbox - options and couldn't seem any option to set up a filter?

I do use Desktop Manager where would I create a filter there?

Thanks
Closed Thread