Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
NewBerry05
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Default Headset wind noise?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

Prior to my new 7100t I was using a Sprint Samsung A680. I drive a convertible and that phone had exceptional volume, which I really liked. The 7100t is somewhat lacking. Also, the mic on the 7100t seems to be *extremely* oversenstive to background noise. Even the slightest soft touch anywhere on the phone is picked up loudly, and wind noise is deafening. I understand this is a difficult issue for any headset or mic, but it seems much worse than usual on the 7100.

I know this is VERY subjective question but... I'd appreciate recommendations for really good headsets, wired OR Bluetooth, that will allow me to get decent volume on the incoming call and somewhat reduce background noise, especially wind noise. I know the BEST solution is to put my top up, but.... I still need a GOOD headset. Are there are any that are somewhat shielded from wind noise? And the bluetooth volume isue I have been reading about, is that a deal-breaker? It seems some are saying that volume on a Bluetooth headset is totally unacceptable?

And off-topic, I just wanna say (cause I bet you read everything)... Mark your FAQs are life-savers. As a new owner I am concerned about the reboot issue and even more so about the call quality. But until I see how that plays out there is still a lot to learn -- this device is SO feature loaded and your FAQs are absolutely required reading. Thank you.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
TechLifter

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

Well, I can only say from experience that the Jabra BT 250 has excellent volume control and the earbud design makes it extremely easy to hear whomever you're talking to. However, the number one complaint I get from people I talk to is the excessive background noise (especially wind noise). In a room full of people, others are able to hear my voice quite well, but while driving on the highway (even with the windows up) or in even moderate wind, my voice is lost in the din.

Not exactly a recommendation, but at least it's a candid opinion on this model.

-TechLifter
Old 05-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
NewBerry05

Default Trying 3 BT headsets

Thanks for the feedback, Tech.

I have tried a Logitech Mobile Freedom the past few days which claims to have wind-cancelling technology. That's an overstatement in my view.

All in all I like it, but the volume seems to be too low and it varies. In my car with top up and windows up it is sometimes too low to hear beyond the ambient traffic/raod noise. But keep in mind I am driving a sports care not a nicely acousticly-sealed Lincoln.

From the posts I've seen here the low voulme might be a widespreadt 7100t problem with all BT headsets but still I will be trying two more.

And I found a LONG thread here earlier from someone that tested countless BT headsets. What I learned from that its really personal preference. One guy from Toronto posted his WAV samples of him testing a BT headset walking down a street with some wind... he was thrilled... I was unimpressed. I don't know how windy it was that day, but his sample sounded OK yet not great. I might be expecting too much, we shall see. And clearly its very subjective.

At least now I'll see if the volume issue is solved by other headsets.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
EGottlieb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Since you need something unaffected by the wind, avoid the BT250 at all costs. TechLifter is exactly right that the volume is great and the headset is very comfortable, but for wind noise it sucks!

As soon as I walk outside, whoever I am talking to can no longer hear me.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
tmkrek

Model: 8800
Carrier: att

If you don't require bluetooth, take a look at www.theboom.com. I have one and I am satisfied with it. In a non-windy environment, it's noise cancelling properties are just amazing. Outdoors, some if the wind noise makes it through but I still think it's better than most. I have also broken the ear piece twice and they have replaced it both times for me at no cost, they even paid for the shipping. In my mind, great customer service. The only drawback is this is a wired headset.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
bjchantry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default No Jabra

I agree with the other posters. I have the Jabra 200, previous model to the 250 and I agree it is by far the most comfortable to wear and the volume is great, but the microphone is WAY TOO sensitive. I drive a Volvo S40 with "sound reducing" tyres, you can hardly hear the road noise but through the Jabra you can forget it, people can't hear a think if you are moving.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #7
NewBerry05

Thumbs up bjchantry thanks!

That DOES look impressive. I think I will get one regardless of whether I keep any of these blueteeth ;)

If these guys ever decide to make a bluetooh version, look out, nobody will beat it.

Well I have three BT mics at the moment... and a 7100t... and a convertible. I don't expect ANY of them to manage well in a convertible that would seem to be expecting too much. But let's see if any of them are even useable at all.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have the Motorola 850 (I think) and the noise is bad but not as bad as listed above. The complaints I get are, "...are you on a runway?" but they can still hear me.

Just the same I would love to have a BT headset that DOESN'T kill people on the other end.
-roccit
Old 05-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
NewBerry05

Thumbs up Logitech Mobile PRO

Quick update

I tried the:
Logitech Mobile Freedom
Scala 500
Logitech Mobile Pro

The Logitech Mobile PRO is hands down best for me. FAR better volume than the others -- the volume problem people have complained about for Bluetooth under 4.0? Not a problem with this headset. Granted, it's possible the volume was even better under 3.8... but whereas other headsets did not have sufficient volume, this does... even in my convertible with the top down.

Also, it has the best sound quality for my listeners on the other end. Everyone says it sounds great, and it even worked with my top down driving in the car. I did the old call-my-own-voicemail test, and sure there were times when I was driving when it just couldn't deal with the wind, but it generally worked.

This headset is NOT perfect, these are some tough conditions I've been talking about. But the point is, where other headsets failed 100% in such conditions, THIS one works. I think the semi-boom mic helps bringing the mic closer to your mouth than the others. It also comes with some small foam windscreen covers that help a lot. Between the gray boom mic and the little gray foam cover it doesn't look nearly as cool as the others. But it works. I believe the stylish, small-as-humanly-possible headsets are great if you're in a quiet environment... but for my real-world conditions, this is the one for me so far.

No probs pairing, connecting, etc.

Has anyone else tried this one? I'd be interested to hear more thoughts on this vs. some others.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

I would like to know the dimensions of the headset. How wide is it at its widest point...Ho w long... With the boom out...etc.
-roccit

p.s. Can't find this information on any site, tried Googling.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Group--

Newberry05 has done some measurement on the Logitech Mobile Pro headset. Here's what was found:

1-3/4" (Thickness of the unit including the curve of the earpiece (viewied in a profile mode).

The boom mic, which folds back for storage, is 3" long. When folded back, the unit is essentially 3" x 1-3/4" x 1-3/4"

Thanks NewBerry!!

NOTE: NewBerry said that s(he) may post some pics with measurements if time allows.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm surprised so many people say they have problems with the BT250. I have one and it works quite well even with the window down on the car and I have an agressive tread pattern on my tires too. Is it dead silent? Hell no! But my voice is heard so much clearer than anything else, I am never told that I cannot be heard well.

Now do not mistake this for me saying it works well with wind blowing in your damn face! LOL If that happens, I'm told that they cannot hear me. Apparently it tries to block out the noise so much that it blocks me out too! I personally think that you expecting to have a microphone that magically picks your voice out of the noise in a convertible is WAY too much to ask for. These devices don't work miracles. At least try to be realistic in your expectations.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
abaldus

I'm pleased to see that I am NOT crazy... others are having trouble with excessive background noise. What is not clear is why you all accept that, in 2005 for $200, Blackberry cannot produce a phone with decent noise cancellation. Heck, my son's giveaway Mot phone has better sound quality - in both directions - than the 7100t. If I did not rely on the excellent email feature, this phone would have been thrown out the window. But, I need the email... so will pay for a good headset to mask an obvious engineering design flaw.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
BFALA

I need to paire my Motoral 850 headset and I don't know how. HELP
Old 10-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #15
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

BFALA, If we learn to help ourselves, . . . .

In the future Use the search Button, you would have found this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...6604#post96604

Which contained these steps:
Originally Posted by rdalemercer
How to pair the Bluetooth device with the Blackberry: a short tutorial.
1. Go to "Options" and click the wheel. Type a "b" and you should go to "Bluetooth" (if not, scroll and select "Bluetooth")
2. Click the wheel. It should read "Bluetooth: Disabled" at the top of the screen
3. Click the wheel and select "Enable Bluetooth"
4. Turn on the Bluetooth headset and be sure that it is in "pairing mode" (each device is different, so please refer to the included instructions)
5. Click the wheel and select "Add Device"
6. A screen will appear with a bar showing "Searching for Devices"
7. When it finds the headset the name of the headset device will appear on the screen.
8. Authenticate the headset device by typing the passkey.
9. Select the named device and click the wheel. Confirm that it is "Connected", if not click the wheel to "Connect"
10. Select the device and click the wheel again. Scroll to "Device properties"
11. Scroll to "Trusted?: and hit the space key until it shows "Yes"
12. Scroll to Encryption and hit the space key until it shows "Enabled"
13. Click the wheel and select "Save"
14. Select the device, click the wheel and select "Options"
15 Scroll to "Discoverable" and hit the space bar to show "No"
(IMPORTANT: this prevents other Bluetooth devices from "discovering" and your headset)
16. Select "Save"
17. Click the escape button twice to return to the home screen

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 10-03-2005, 01:35 AM   #16
iamchrismullins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

my vote goes for logitech mobile freedom. I have been through a few of the bk devices already..low wind noise and now it has decent volume after upgrade to
4.0.29 or whatever the latest is..

Been there: PDA/Palm/Handspring/Treo, motorola, nokia, t-mobile, BB 970,975,7100, motorola BK devices
Old 11-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #17
xsw

Model: 7100g

The issue is NOT the BT headset. The problem herein lies the 7100x. The mic is too sensitive and picks up all the background noise. The audio output is too low as well. That's why people are complaining about how they can't hear you and this is why you can't hear the person you're talking to. It sucks! Rimm needs to redesign it.....LAST YEAR. Fire the idiots who designed the audio circuits to begin with.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #18
xsw

Model: 7100g

I started a new thread called: Background Noise Problems? Email the RIM CEO here.

Please go find that thread and email the RIM CEO to prompt him to fix it. I am tired of complaining and not getting any results.
Closed Thread