BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default What are the odds of the BOLD in LESS then 30 days?

Please Login to Remove!

For AT&T - So I can buy an iPhone to play with and return it for the Bold within my 30 day return window if I don't like it?

Last edited by MisterEd; 07-10-2008 at 05:07 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night that there's a 63.27643 percent chance the Bold will be out within 30 days.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Scooters
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night that there's a 63.27643 percent chance the Bold will be out within 30 days.
Naw, you got it all wrong. My dog's groomers' brother-in-law has a friend who works with someone whose wife is having an affiar with a guy who knows someone at RIM. He says that the chances are 37.43634%. Of course the groomer likes the IPhone, so she may have fudged the numbers a bit.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
LOL! Nice little Ferris Bueller quote!

Mister Ed, read this post: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ms-please.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 4.6.0.67)

For what carrier? Tmo Germany will have it in 11 days, 15 for Rogers, 30ish for ATT
Old 07-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

AT&T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post

For what carrier? Tmo Germany will have it in 11 days, 15 for Rogers, 30ish for ATT
Old 07-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks, I read the post. But I don't see any odds posted there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
LOL! Nice little Ferris Bueller quote!

Mister Ed, read this post: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ms-please.html
Old 07-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Skeets

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

100%
Old 07-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Tmo Germany, from internal sources is July 21. Rogers from internal sources July 25. Based on info that's come across my desk, ATT usually trains 2 weeks out on devices, so sometime around end of first week in August they will have it. Give or take 10 days
Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

I'd say you odds are about even that you'll be able to return your iphone within 30 days and replace it with a Bold.

howdya like those odds?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
For AT&T - So I can buy an iPhone to play with and return it for the Bold within my 30 day return window if I don't like it?
Is there a restocking fee for the new iPhone? You could always return it, and then buy a new one, to get a new 30-day period in which to return the iPhone. Frankly, I've always been surprised that people don't do this more often -- a quick trip to the AT&T store could, in theory, allow you to have a device that you could always return and upgrade for a new model.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

slim to none
Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
JG in SB
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Quote:
Is there a restocking fee for the new iPhone? You could always return it, and then buy a new one, to get a new 30-day period in which to return the iPhone. Frankly, I've always been surprised that people don't do this more often -- a quick trip to the AT&T store could, in theory, allow you to have a device that you could always return and upgrade for a new model.
I'm sorry. Maybe I will get flack for this, but IMHO this is just blatant abuse of a very good return policy. This sort of thing, if it happens enough, would force AT&T to have to come up with a stricter policy that would ultimately hurt everyone, especially those who have a legitimate reason to make a return.

If you have done your product research, and you think an iPhone is for you, then you should go ahead and buy one regardless of when the BlackBerry Bold is supposed to be released. If, after you have had a chance to work with your iPhone for a while, you determine that there are issues with it that you really can't live with, then there is nothing wrong with returning it. That is a perfectly legitimate reason to return it and get something else.

But don't go and get an iPhone, with the premeditated intent of returning it, repurchasing another, and then potentially returning that one for a Bold when it comes out, just so that you have something to "play with" while you wait for the Bold. It seems like an adult should be able to wait 30 days for the "toy" they actually want, without having to have some brand new substitute toy to play with in the meantime.

I am not as "surprised" as Spamdumpster (quoted above) that "people don't do this more often". Most people would think this was wrong, or at a minimum "questionable" behavior. Without question, it would be abusing a great retun policy that AT&T offers in good faith to consumers. It only works in the long term if consumers use it in good faith.

Last edited by JG in SB; 07-10-2008 at 06:24 PM..
Old 07-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
Battery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I'm sure somewhere in the fine print this is dealt with.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
itladyee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: bd&st
Carrier: at&t/Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
I'm sure somewhere in the fine print this is dealt with.
From my experience ...you can't do it. The 30 days is purchasing period. So if you returned a phone in 10 days for a different phone, you will have 20 more days to evaluate that phone. Then you are done.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #16
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: Ball Wizard

It is different for the iPhone. Ther is only 14 days to return it at both AT&T stores and Apple stores. There is also a 10% restocking fee. This is an agreement that Apple insisted upon. If you have a defective phome you still have a 30 day exchange period for the same phone. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Only 1 exchange permitted.
Quote:
Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

The Iphone 3G has 30 day return and no restocking fee. What you say was correct for the original iPhone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1 View Post
It is different for the iPhone. Ther is only 14 days to return it at both AT&T stores and Apple stores. There is also a 10% restocking fee. This is an agreement that Apple insisted upon. If you have a defective phome you still have a 30 day exchange period for the same phone. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's also on Apple's and AT&T's site if you dig deep enough:
AT&T iPhone 3G Policy Memo to Retail Managers « MikeKochansky.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1 View Post
Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #20
MisterEd
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree 100% with what you say. The iPhone seems so "cool" I want to give it a fair shot but I will find it very hard to give up the BB email and keyboard. I figured if I waited till the BOLD came out it would KILL the resale value of my unlocked 8310 so I put it up on eBay for $300 w/shipping "buy it now" price and it sold in 4 days so I'm itchin' for something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB View Post
I'm sorry. Maybe I will get flack for this, but IMHO this is just blatant abuse of a very good return policy. This sort of thing, if it happens enough, would force AT&T to have to come up with a stricter policy that would ultimately hurt everyone, especially those who have a legitimate reason to make a return.

If you have done your product research, and you think an iPhone is for you, then you should go ahead and buy one regardless of when the BlackBerry Bold is supposed to be released. If, after you have had a chance to work with your iPhone for a while, you determine that there are issues with it that you really can't live with, then there is nothing wrong with returning it. That is a perfectly legitimate reason to return it and get something else.

But don't go and get an iPhone, with the premeditated intent of returning it, repurchasing another, and then potentially returning that one for a Bold when it comes out, just so that you have something to "play with" while you wait for the Bold. It seems like an adult should be able to wait 30 days for the "toy" they actually want, without having to have some brand new substitute toy to play with in the meantime.

I am not as "surprised" as Spamdumpster (quoted above) that "people don't do this more often". Most people would think this was wrong, or at a minimum "questionable" behavior. Without question, it would be abusing a great retun policy that AT&T offers in good faith to consumers. It only works in the long term if consumers use it in good faith.
Closed Thread