Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Steve66
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel
Angry Internet vs Hotspot Browser on 8350i

Please Login to Remove!

I've got an 8350i...one of the new Curve models with Nextel service and WiFi capability running the 4.6 OS. I'm joined to my organization's WiFi network, the home screen says "NEXTEL - My SSID Name", and the little WiFi icon is highlighted. I can ping internal hosts using the 'WiFi Tools' utility, so I know the WiFi connection is working fine. I've been reading that, when you have the browser set to "Internet Browser", it's supposed to use your WiFi connection first and only use the cellular data service if there is no WiFi connection.

Unfortunately, that's not true. You can check this out yourself by going to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more from your BlackBerry and seeing what it reports as your IP address. In my case, with the browser set to "Hotspot Browser", this site correctly reports the IP address as my organization's natted external IP. If I switch to "Internet Browser" however, it reports 206.53.144.154 (not my organization's external IP). If "Internet Browser" is supposed to automatically use WiFi when available, then it should have reported the same IP as when I used "Hotspot Browser".

Beyond the obvious (you're not using your presumably-faster WiFi connection for internet access), it also means you can't access internal (intranet) hosts without manually switching to the "Hotspot Browser".

Is there any way to get the BlackBerry to use an actively connected WiFi link first, and only use the data plan connection if there is no WiFi?

- Steve -
Old 01-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
cputoys

Wirelessly posted (7100i)

Mine does this by default. With iden data speeds there is little doubt what connection the bb is using and when. Also I never switch out to "hotspot browser." There must be something going within your net - a firewall setting out of whack?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Steve66

Any ideas where to look for a setting to change? This happens no matter which WiFi network I'm attached to and it happens with 3 other 8350i phones I've tried from my colleagues.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
I've been reading that, when you have the browser set to "Internet Browser", it's supposed to use your WiFi connection first and only use the cellular data service if there is no WiFi connection.

If "Internet Browser" is supposed to automatically use WiFi when available, then it should have reported the same IP as when I used "Hotspot Browser".
Steve, "Internet Browser" is browser which uses RIM infrastructure to download web pages. It can connect to RIM using cellular data link or it can connect to RIM using WiFi.
In any case, it will connect to RIM.

If you want to bypass RIM servers, you must use Hotspot browser. It will connect directly to the Internet.

Quote:
Is there any way to get the BlackBerry to use an actively connected WiFi link first, and only use the data plan connection if there is no WiFi?
It does. The right question for you is "how to make blackberry use Hotspot browser to access Intranet?"

You have two options: you can make Hotspot browser default browser. The drawback is when WiFi is not available, browsing won't work.

Another option is to bookmark your intranet site(s) in blackberry. You can then edit bookmark to make blackberry use Hotspot browser for it.

By doing that you'll have general purpose browsing going through Internet Browser which will work as long as you have either carrier data or WiFi connectivity. When you open bookmark for Intranet site device will use Hotspot browser and connect through WiFi to your intranet - if you have WiFi connection and you are on intranet wifi.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
face_down

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

How much difference are you all seeing in wifi vs. phone in internet speeds. When hooked up to my home wifi, browsing seems a little faster but no where near what my cable speeds are like on my PC?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
bailmon

Model: 8700
Carrier: At&T
Default Same issue

I hvae a 8350i running BES, I too have a wifi at the office and home. I chnage the browser to hotspot and go directly to What Is My IP Address and it always gives my outgoing BES IP. I have read and read on this forumn and others with any fix.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
AMA D-MAX

Carrier: nextel

I'm also having problems with my 8350i, I can go to any other hot spot and get access automatically, but when I come to my house, I have a connection with my netgear router but the light in my phone doesn't come on, I had my router encrypted at best buy, when I bought it and they got it on a WAP instead of a WEP authentication password would this make a difference?? or what am I doing wrong? I can see the NETGEAR letters on my blackberry home screen like this
" NEXTEL-NETGEAR" but once again the wi-fi symbol on my home screen still off.
Please help.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
porsche928

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I switched my 8320 to Hotspot Browser and saved and everytime I go back in it always has T-Zones back in there.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
ccovill

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche928 View Post
I switched my 8320 to Hotspot Browser and saved and everytime I go back in it always has T-Zones back in there.
Ditto. I have the pearl flip and I'm getting tired of it resetting itself. Any help?
Closed Thread