Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
TevocRoux

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmo
Default DD-WRT Wifi Hack and UMA - Curve

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone uploaded the DD-WRT flash to their router and used UMA?

I just did it last night, seems to have worked fine and no UMA problems.

I am going to investigate the VoIP DD-WRT and see if their might be some additional benefits since UMA is essentially VoIP....anyone have any thoughts on this? (Currently I flashed with the mini-generic v23 SP2.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

John Clark has successfully! I'm going to try and hack my WTR54GS ... first attempt no dice though. 2.3 looks like the smart one to be using; I'd stick with that.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I'm contemplating on doing this to my WRT54GL v2.2 I assume you are saying that mini-generic v23 would be best (not SP2)?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

sorry, I meant the most current version of 2.3; stay away from 2.4 still not stable.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

What I meant is that on DD-WRT's site there are two downloads under the Stable releases: dd-wrt.v23 SP1 and dd-wrt.v23 SP2 Which is the correct one?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Sp2
Old 12-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

If you're new to DD-WRT make sure you start reading with the Wiki and don't go off flashing first, you might ruin your gear. Some versions of the gear need specific steps done to make them work correctly, it depends on which one you own.

Main Page - DD-WRT Wiki
Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've loaded dd-wrt on about 6 routers, all different models and so far from the ones I've used with UMA and my 8320, it works great.

Highly recommend people digging in and seeing if they have the technical ability to load it, it's worth the time spent on it IMHO.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I updated my Linksys WRT-54GS v. 1.1 with DD-WRT v 23. It was the only router that my old finiky 8320 would work with reliably with WEP or WPA security. Others worked, but seemed a bit flaky.

I think DD-WRT helped the battery longevity as well.

When installing I spent about an hour or more reading through the wiki and other info before I tried it. I was so worried about messing up my router. Updating the firmware itself was a snap. Then the settings were pretty quick to set up as well.

My warranty swap phone is stable enough on my Fios supplied router that I've unplugged my Linksys. But if I have an important conference call, I'll plug it back in.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

As hdawg said, I just did it to my Linksys WRT54G v1.1 a couple weeks ago. I didn't just go flashing without doing some reading. If you just google "DD-WRT" you'll pull some good hits on the first page. I read through most of those, including a blog or two from those who had done it and what their steps were. I also read through how to recover the device if you "brick" it. It is possible to recover the device but it's not an easy process.

Pay particular attention to the chart that shows what versions are compatible with your router. Some routers will only support the mini version (including some Linksys) and some will support the standard version.

For mine, it supported the standard version so it was a two step process. You have to load the 'mini' version first, then load the standard version.

Once completed, I boosted the transmit power (that's what finally talked me into loading DD-WRT.) The Linksys default is 28mW but DD-WRT supports up to 250mW. They don't recommend anything over 100 as it will create too much RF noise and heat up the chipset. 70 is what they recommend and since then has given me a nice strong UMA signal throughout my house. My router is mounted on the wall in my hallway about in the center of the house. I used to lose UMA when I'd go to the ends of the house. WiFi always stayed connected but the UMA would bump to EDGE.

Also, it supports all the WPA and WPA2 etc. encryption. Don't use WEP and/or MAC filtering as it's not that secure.

It does slow down access to the router settings. I assume it's because it requires more of the router's memory and processor to run it. However, all in all, it was a postive thing for my UMA connection. It does void your warranty so be careful. Mine was long out of warranty so didn't have that risk.

Hope that helps...
Old 12-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

ive been running sp2 for a while now.
its a very easy flash, and brings some nice features to the router.

Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com another alternative to dd-wrt.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
As hdawg said, I just did it to my Linksys WRT54G v1.1 a couple weeks ago. I didn't just go flashing without doing some reading. If you just google "DD-WRT" you'll pull some good hits on the first page. I read through most of those, including a blog or two from those who had done it and what their steps were. I also read through how to recover the device if you "brick" it. It is possible to recover the device but it's not an easy process.

Pay particular attention to the chart that shows what versions are compatible with your router. Some routers will only support the mini version (including some Linksys) and some will support the standard version.

For mine, it supported the standard version so it was a two step process. You have to load the 'mini' version first, then load the standard version.

Once completed, I boosted the transmit power (that's what finally talked me into loading DD-WRT.) The Linksys default is 28mW but DD-WRT supports up to 250mW. They don't recommend anything over 100 as it will create too much RF noise and heat up the chipset. 70 is what they recommend and since then has given me a nice strong UMA signal throughout my house. My router is mounted on the wall in my hallway about in the center of the house. I used to lose UMA when I'd go to the ends of the house. WiFi always stayed connected but the UMA would bump to EDGE.

Also, it supports all the WPA and WPA2 etc. encryption. Don't use WEP and/or MAC filtering as it's not that secure.

It does slow down access to the router settings. I assume it's because it requires more of the router's memory and processor to run it. However, all in all, it was a postive thing for my UMA connection. It does void your warranty so be careful. Mine was long out of warranty so didn't have that risk.

Hope that helps...
Alright, so I read through the wiki and other install guides. I'm still a little confused about the process though. Some say to just upload the standard version and some, like you JC, say that uploading the mini version first and then the standard is necessary. My router is a WRT54G v2.2 and according to the DD-WRT chart, it supports the standard version.

So should I upload the mini version first and then the standard just to be on the safe side? I assume also a router reset between uploads is recommended?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrcncp View Post
So should I upload the mini version first and then the standard just to be on the safe side? I assume also a router reset between uploads is recommended?
You could do that (mini -> standard) for safety, but it's not really needed. The older routers (like your 2.2 and my 3.0 and 4.0) allow a larger firmware to be uploaded as-is. One reason for mini is for certain routers that Linksys restrict from uploading a larger firmware (I think it's 4meg?) with the stock code they make. The uploading of the mini first "unlocks" (sic) the ability to upload a larger firmware (the standard, VPN, etc. builds). I had to do this with the ones at work (WRT54GL v1.1 routers), it's painless.

Doing a hard reset between upgrades is what I do just for safety, it can't hurt. The last thing I want is some crufty old/bad config stuck in the NVRAM and ruining my day.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Got it running, standard version. Had a little issue getting to the admin interface at first, but got it working. Upped the transmit power to 70 and set it to WPA security, changed the settings on my laptop and Curve and both connected smoothly. Thanks all!

Last edited by xyrcncp; 12-15-2007 at 03:21 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #15
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 06:20 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Overall, the dd-wrt firmware is a very positive thing for UMA. Upping the power made my UMA rock solid all over my house. I recommend it for anyone who is computer savy and knows their way around their router.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #17
JustinOw

Carrier: T-mobile

Just found this thread, but I set up DD-WRT on two routers this past weekend.

Note: if you have the TMobile linksys router, the DD-WRT flash won't work (at least, they haven't figured out how to make it work without getting down and dirty and opening up the router to make some changes).

The routers I used:

WRT150N - this is a draft N linksys router. I had to do the 24 mini and then the 24 std (23 doesn't work with the 150N) -- this router was set up to be the primary router.

WRT54GS - this was an old (2 1/2 year old) linksys router. I flashed it with 23 std mini and then 23 std. This router was set up to act as a repeater of the primary router

My main problem in our house here was that I wasn't getting a strong enough signal in a room over the garage and couldn't move the primary router any closer. So I used DD-WRT to set up WDS, which allowed me to use one router as a repeater of the first router. I was worried that UMA might be laggy or just not work on the secondary/repeater router -- however, it works flawlessly. In fact, I don't even connect to the primary router in the house now b/c the repeater covers the areas I'm in better than the primary *at no loss in speed*.

Go DD-WRT!!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #18
jopfer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: T-mobile

Great information here, but I don't think that I can install DD-WRT on a WRT54GX2 router, can i?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 AM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I don't see that model listed on the dd-wrt website.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Anybody get this working on the T-Mo branded wrt54g? I only have that or a WAP54g behind a hardwired befsr81 at my disposal....
Closed Thread