Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
gwlane

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default 9650 Sprint Modem Definition Needed

Please Login to Remove!

I currently us a Sprint Bold 9650 for tethering to my laptop for access where an ethernet connection is not available. The tethering works fine. Contrary to what I've read here, Sprint still allows me to tether my blackberry.

The problem I have, I believe can be easily solved if I could create a modem connection specifically for my phone.

The problem I am experiencing is this. I have to use a VPN software stub to get access to several systems behind a firewall. The software I have to use is called Hummingbird.

When I use the BB Desktop Manager and the Sprint Software to use my BB as a tether, it kills the VPN software. I can no longer get access to my remote systems. If I uninstall the SmartView software, the remote connectivity works. However, I have to use the BB Desktop Manager and SmartView to be able to tether my phone. It contains the modem definition to allow the BB to communicate. Once the software is uninstalled, the modem definition is removed.

I had the same problem when I used a Blackberry Bold from AT&T. However, in that case, I was able to find information on how to create a modem connection under Windows that would connect my phone to the network without using the Connection Manger and AT&T's Communications Manager. It worked great. I could tether and still get access to my remote systems.

All I'm looking for is how to create a modem definition under Windows that I can use to connect my Sprint phone to the network. So far no one has been able to provide a solution. I even downloaded the modem and USB drivers from the Blackberry.com website. Only thing is, it creats a standard modem but I need to create a modem definition with the proper "AT" commands to make it work. Even after loading the modem drivers, my remote connection fails.

If this keeps up, I may have to see if I can change carriers.

Thanks for your time and input.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Rather then using SmartView, you may want to setup a Bluetooth connection and see if that helps with the VPN issue (assuming your laptop has Bluetooth available). No SmartView is needed for the Bluetooth tethering.