BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
GadgetGuru72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question Calendar question -- what's the difference ....?

Please Login to Remove!

I suspect that I am going to feel foolish after I get the answer to this question because I'm sure it's something obvious, but I can't figure it out ....

What is the difference between setting up a multi-day calendar event in these 2 manners:

(1) Checking "all day event" and then selecting a "start" and "end" date that spans the entire event. For example, "Vacation" -- all day event -- start "February 14" -- end "February 28."

versus ...

(2) Checking "all day event" and then matching the "start" and "end" dates, but then doing a recurring appointment. For example, "Vacation" -- all day event -- start "February 14" -- end "February 14" -- recurring "daily" until "February 28."

They both appear to accomplish the exact same thing. Is there ANY difference between the two methods, or are they identical?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this is a lame question.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I think you answered your own question. In your example, the result is the same. However, I suspect if you looked at the database entries you would see the difference exactly according to the difference in the information you provided in the two cases.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I think you answered your own question. In your example, the result is the same. However, I suspect if you looked at the database entries you would see the difference exactly according to the difference in the information you provided in the two cases.
Well, even though they "appear" the same on the calendar, I thought there might be some difference in the way they "behave" or interact with other calendar entries that I might not be seeing at first glance.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I see. I've done it both ways for meetings a conferences at one time or another, and I don't recall anything coming to my attention, or any problems.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
wawasteele

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile US

I think I have just figured out a difference. It's with the reminders. If you set it as a recurring event with a reminder, you will receive a reminder for each day. However, if you make it just one event, you will receive just one reminder.

I have been trying that out now for a couple of weeks and think that is correct.

Wanda
Old 02-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele
I think I have just figured out a difference. It's with the reminders. If you set it as a recurring event with a reminder, you will receive a reminder for each day. However, if you make it just one event, you will receive just one reminder.

I have been trying that out now for a couple of weeks and think that is correct.

Wanda
Ahhh, good point.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post

Wanda
Ah ... that makes perfect sense. I knew there had to be something that was different between the two methods.

Thanks.
Closed Thread