BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #61
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I know you were referring to that but my point is RIM can make just as much media hype as Apple can. Dont get me wrong, Apple definately has the consumer market definately in mind, and have done extremely well marketing all their products towards it. They are very successful in that. But RIM has done a great deal, and for the first time in its history, consumer devices are sold more than business ones. Nearly 2.2 million customers added last quarter, with much of that being in the consumer marketplace. At this time neither device will "kill" the other. Yes, i have a feeling that the iPhone will be a larger device in the consumer market. I also have a feeling that the 9000 will easily be the larger device in the business market. Overall, I would say RIM still has a clear edge, larger distrubution, more devices to choose from, heck, 5-6 new devices this year (if you include the reiterations of GSM devices with improvements for CDMA).

Will it be a good year for cellular growth: Absolutely
Do i look forward to seeing what comes in the future: You can bet on that
Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM   #62
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
I know you were referring to that but my point is RIM can make just as much media hype as Apple can. Dont get me wrong, Apple definately has the consumer market definately in mind, and have done extremely well marketing all their products towards it. They are very successful in that. But RIM has done a great deal, and for the first time in its history, consumer devices are sold more than business ones. Nearly 2.2 million customers added last quarter, with much of that being in the consumer marketplace. At this time neither device will "kill" the other. Yes, i have a feeling that the iPhone will be a larger device in the consumer market. I also have a feeling that the 9000 will easily be the larger device in the business market. Overall, I would say RIM still has a clear edge, larger distrubution, more devices to choose from, heck, 5-6 new devices this year (if you include the reiterations of GSM devices with improvements for CDMA).

I don't doubt that RIM will maintain its position in the business sector. I'm switching back to a BB from the iPhone specifically because I miss the productivity features (and physical keyboard). I honestly don't mean this to be another BB vs. iPhone digression. I was simply floating the idea that since RIM wants to make a splash in the consumer market with the Bold, it might be advantageous to them to beat iP2 to market because once it's announced, we both know all media attention will begin focusing on the nuts sleeping outside of Apple stores.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #63
JEGO82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
the numbers were never red? where did you see or hear this?
Look at the pictures of the "unbranded" bold, you'll se the numbers are in red and the Att are all white

Last edited by JEGO82; 05-20-2008 at 09:58 AM..
Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #64
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
RIM can make just as much media hype as Apple can.
I don't know about that. You see Apple commercials all the time on TV. I have never seen a BB commercial, aside from the ones the carriers put out touting their different handhelds. People were lined up for hours to get the iphone last year when it came out. You will probably see the same with the 3G iphone. Sure the 9000 will sell really, really well, but I doubt you will see any lines. Sell outs yes.

Quote:
Especially smartphones!

Quote:
So do I
Old 05-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #65
CMatthews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: ??????
Carrier: Verizon 9630, 9650, 9550/AT&T 9000, 9700, 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I don't know about that. You see Apple commercials all the time on TV. I have never seen a BB commercial, aside from the ones the carriers put out touting their different handhelds.
I have actually starting seeing Blackberry ads on TV and in newspapers that are not put out by carriers, but are actually put out by RIM. I still don't see them as often as I see Apples ads for the iPhone, but they are there.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #66
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
Unfortunately I don't think so. I doubt the Bold would cause the need to delay vacations, so odds are that release spot is for the new iPhone.

AppleInsider | Report puts 3G iPhone on store shelves by mid-June
Old 05-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #67
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:

Dude its ALREADY happening!
US Consumer Phone Sales Decline 22 Percent In Q1; BlackBerry Enters The Top Five: Report | mocoNews.net
US Consumer Phone Sales Decline 22 Percent In Q1; BlackBerry Enters The Top Five: Report

Quote:
The shaky economy is starting to show up in U.S. phone sales. In the first quarter, consumer phone sales reached 31 million handsets, falling 22 percent compared to the year-ago period. For the first time, the NPD Group said sales fell between the busy holiday quarter and the first quarter. Despite this, the phones being sold today are higher-end compared to the year ago period, with smartphones comprising 17 percent of all phone sales, a 10 percent increase. Two of the big features being sold are Bluetooth at 79 percent of all phones and music-playing capabilities at 60 percent. The struggling Motorola (NYSE: MOT) maintained its No. 1 position, however, its share fell to 27 percent in the period from 35 percent a year ago. Likely to Apple’s (NSDQ: AAPL) chagrin, for the first time RIM (NSDQ: RIMM) BlackBerry improved its ranking, edging out Sanyo as the fifth-largest manufacturer. Apple didn’t make the list.

Here’s the breakdown:

-- Motorola 27 percent
-- Samsung 18 percent
-- LG (SEO: 066570) 17 percent
-- Nokia (NYSE: NOK) 8 percent
-- RIM BlackBerry 5 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I don't know about that. You see Apple commercials all the time on TV. I have never seen a BB commercial, aside from the ones the carriers put out touting their different handhelds. People were lined up for hours to get the iphone last year when it came out. You will probably see the same with the 3G iphone. Sure the 9000 will sell really, really well, but I doubt you will see any lines. Sell outs yes.
RIM won't really NEED to! Thats whats fantastic about RIM, I've seen a GM commercial where some brother uses a BlackBerry and I hear that distinct ringtone as well - or was it an investment commercial? Notice that I don't recall the product that was advertised, but the product indirectly advertised?!! ;)
Old 05-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #68
Blackberryer

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by customshopkv1 View Post
I saw that. I think it was a little bit of wishful thinking around these parts to believe that ATT would have employees delay vacations due to a new BB release.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #69
Outrigger

Model: 8820

I'm guess the 5/20 date isn't a go. ATT will release it when it releases it.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #70
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

So much comparing going on with the iphone 2 and the Bold! Whats to compare, it's the same iphone with some new goodies, and 3G! Still no keyboard and what not. Listen, Apple is a monster of a company, but so is RIM. If history serves me right, last year the Curve was completly sold out for the first couple of weeks. All in all it was a good release, but they became hard to find in alot of at&t stores. Now with the iphone- it was the first ever Apple production phone (ever) so the hype was there! But if you really wanted one, all you had to do was walk into an apple store and buy one. I went last Summer on the day it was released at about 9pm, walked right into an apple store and got one! The lines and crazy sellouts we're because at&t dropped the ball, and there corporate stores had only 30 units or so to sell to the public.

I dont think you'll see the same type of hype as last Summer with the iphone 2. First of all, the economy is terrible, the mass public is not going to spend $600-$800 this time around. Not with gas over $4 a gallon! However, I think that BB is such a proven thing, that works so well. The Bold may steal more thunder then Mr Jobs would like! And it will be far less expensive as well. We will all just have to sit back and watch the show to see how this all plays out.

Last edited by sean76; 05-20-2008 at 04:00 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #71
PPCMD

Model: 8820

I see the Apple ads, and frankly I'm tired of them, as an Apple user who likes his MAC's power and productivity I find the ads condescending, obnoxious and otherwise misleading at times. The iPhone ads for one are very misleading in the fact that they don't have a GPS in the current model yet they show off the maps and directions as if it did. The commercials about average people solving life's problems with the iPhone like the Pilot who checked the weather, confirmed with the tower and all was good. That is total BS and they know it. The weather is more than what's in the airport they are in, they have to look at the flight path and other factors. If the iPhone could do everything then every plane would have them built in.

Now RIM ads, I don't see much of them except in AT&T ads, (but I do recall them quite well) and I time shift my TV viewing and skip most (especially Apple) ads. RIM is a juggernaut of their own and has tremendous brand recognition. They are as noted here making huge in roads to the consumer market by updating and expanding their business smartphones to have more consumer friendly needs. The iPhone of course is an iPod that gained more smartphone options and a phone. But its not a true business device. Not one executive in my office has one, not one person in my office of 500 people has one. There are many BB's and the older Treo's are going bye, bye for, more BB's. Even my boss who was going to get rid of her Moto Q and kept saying she had to get the iPhoneand would jump carriers to get one. Well she isn't, I told her the reasons why each was good and bad and that for her needs the BB Curve would fit the bill, she is getting a new Verizon Curve soon.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 AM   #72
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
Wirelessly posted

I'm getting so excited about this its like american pie where I'm the guy in bed with the study buddy.
What? <vbg>
Old 05-23-2008, 05:50 AM   #73
atuarre

Would it be possible that the Blackberry Bold is going to be released the exact same day as the iPhone? I think the Bold may be released in June.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #74
iNOMAD

Model: ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
Would it be possible that the Blackberry Bold is going to be released the exact same day as the iPhone? I think the Bold may be released in June.
I dont think on that exact day, they would be greatly overshaddowed by the media hype over the iPhone. I think, if they are smart, they will release it a few days before hand or a few days after, to ensure proper hype.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:41 AM   #75
Girion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: T of Guinness plz

Wirelessly posted

Truly, in the Southen California area at least, I have seen many many more BlackBerry (non-carrier specific) commercials on my TV. The first time I saw one I was a little confused, thinking it was a joke or SNL spot. But sure enough, you'll see "life is better with BlackBerry" ads standing on their own now. Very RIMarkable!

"For pretty things that serve no use, the true art finds its tether.
To those who know illumination comes wickless in the nether."
Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #76
ghettochild
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girion View Post
Wirelessly posted

Truly, in the Southen California area at least, I have seen many many more BlackBerry (non-carrier specific) commercials on my TV. The first time I saw one I was a little confused, thinking it was a joke or SNL spot. But sure enough, you'll see "life is better with BlackBerry" ads standing on their own now. Very RIMarkable!
Yea, I've seen a bunch of BB spots during NBA playoffs coverage on TNT. Too bad they don't feature the Bold...yet.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #77
Attila The Hun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T,Orang

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNOMAD View Post
I dont think on that exact day, they would be greatly overshaddowed by the media hype over the iPhone. I think, if they are smart, they will release it a few days before hand or a few days after, to ensure proper hype.
I think not Apple nor RIM has the product in stuck yet.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM   #78
atuarre

I read some where that the Bold will be released to ATT in July but do not know how reliable that information is.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #79
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

wow, so the 9000 trumps the talk of the release of OS 4.5 huh?

LMAO!!!

I love this forum!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #80
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyct1 View Post
wow, so the 9000 trumps the talk of the release of OS 4.5 huh?

LMAO!!!

I love this forum!
You mean 4.6 or 4.7 don't you?
Closed Thread