Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Omnia_Emerald

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodacom
Default Storm keeps shutting itself down

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
My bb storm turns itself completely off at the most inconvenient times. Sometimes it does this when a new mail comes through (e-mail or sms) it doesn't even give me a chance to read the mail then it turns itself off and starts rebooting from scratch and it takes a good five minutes to do this.
Other times when I remove it from the holder it does this I expect it to happen at least 3 times daily.
What causes this to occur?
Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
CrAzYSOB1

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Try This

The most likely answer if you are in the USA is that you have your network setting set to "Global". Set it to "1XEV" -- pretty much most metro areas in the USA can default to that setting without the same struggle. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Go to options (wrench icon)
2. Go to Mobile Network
3. There are 3 settings; mobile network, network selection mode and network technology. If the button for Network Technology says Global or GSM/UMTS -- select 1XEV.
4. Recycle the device.

This should clear up the maddening recycling issue!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3053D7B3

mine still does this and i have 1XEV selected...

what about the option "network selection mode"...what should that be set to?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
jdk2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3101F549
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSamfield View Post
mine still does this and i have 1XEV selected...

what about the option "network selection mode"...what should that be set to?
Automatic. The issue seems to effect a number of users and I haven't seen any resolution to date. It occurs on various betas as well as the official VZW release. I've had the phone reboot when answering the phone, when unholstering, when receiving a text msg and while sitting on my desk doing nothing in particular.

Hopefully, VZW and RIM will come up with a solution soon. I have 18mos left on my contract
Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 3053D7B3

my interpretation is that it's essentially a conflict that occurs either something dealing with the hardware like a hardware interrupt (could be fixed by a firmware update) or a software error that becomes supercritical crashing the OS itself...either a process that somehow gains access to system sections of memory illegally or exceptions that go uncaught beyond the scope of the design of the OS...i have experienced it multiple times when i saw data connectivity occurring on my phone...and while i was doing something in a program...so i associated the problem with the actions occurring, but i could be wrong

as of right now i have 0.0 kb left of application memory and apparently this is used for RAM so there could be a problem of the device maxing out its RAM and virtual memory space or having trouble initiating a paging scheme or whatever memory scheme is being used by the elusive OS

RIM needs the solution...VZW is just the pipe for the system...but VZW however is responsible for our systems...so i put blame on them for not making sure RIM is doing its job on the OS and hardware implementations
Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
jdk2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3101F549
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSamfield View Post

RIM needs the solution...VZW is just the pipe for the system...but VZW however is responsible for our systems...so i put blame on them for not making sure RIM is doing its job on the OS and hardware implementations
VZW is dragging their feet testing and ultimately releasing an OS that could make this device work as it was intended. RIM has been providing numerous beta updates to all of their partners world-wide. It's up to each of them to do internal testing and report any problems found.

What we've seen in the way of beta releases probably doesn't scratch the surface of the available software. Whether we'll see anything official is solely dependant on VZW. Their track record in this regard has never been anything to be proud of.
Closed Thread