Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon
Default Conflicting Reports on the Thunder

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Thunder not quite ready for primetime? : Boy Genius Report

BlackBerry Thunder's keyboard rumored to be totally awesome - Engadget Mobile

Looks like somebody has some bad information. Funny how both seem to appear days before the iPhone release.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
PKIronMan

Model: 9999
Carrier: Verizon

The post on Boy Genius reads as much like fanboy iPhone as the one on Crackberry reads BB fanboy. Take both with a grain of salt and we'll see before year-end. (I'm betting not September though.)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Considering the delays with the Bold, I wouldn't be surprised if the BG story was the true one. You have to remember this is a major design and UI change for RIM and there are bound to be problems galore. And just like the first iphone had problems/issues/deficiencies, don't expect Rim's first touch screen BB to be anywhere near perfect in its first model release.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Unclebelvis

Model: 8830

I still think it will be out before the end of the year. Of course, that may just be wishful thinking on my part. I was originally going to switch to AT&T to get the Bold, and put that off because of the Thunder. Hope RIM doesn't make me wait too long.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
PKIronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebelvis View Post
I still think it will be out before the end of the year.
That's a good bet. Verizon isn't going to let the iPhone Holiday season go unchallenged.

I'm guessing an early November release. Pure guess but that is how the Cheerios aligned themselves this morning.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIronMan View Post
That's a good bet. Verizon isn't going to let the iPhone Holiday season go unchallenged.

I'm guessing an early November release. Pure guess but that is how the Cheerios aligned themselves this morning.
Has nothing to do with Verizon. If RIM doesn't have the product ready, it doesn't matter what Verizon does or does not want.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
mush10

Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

I would be shocked if this made it out before years end.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
PKIronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
Has nothing to do with Verizon. If RIM doesn't have the product ready, it doesn't matter what Verizon does or does not want.
Without the carrier relationship and push RIM has little more than nothing. So Verizon does have a lot of say. With Apple and say AT&T there is an equal amount of dog/tail wagging each other. With RIM and Verizon and ~Thunder~, it's not clear RIM can afford to let this slip too much further or Verizon will push their various LG/Samsung/etc. devices harder.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
BryanHarig
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
The post on Boy Genius reads as much like fanboy iPhone as the one on Crackberry reads BB fanboy. Take both with a grain of salt and we'll see before year-end. (I'm betting not September though.)
You kidding? BG is a huge Blackberry fan, they break more BB news then iPhone.

The posts on crackberry were too good to be true. In the real world products that are vastly different from the existing line take serious time to develop. Do you know how long it took Apple to get the iPhone out the door? Something like 2 years IIRC. If RIM gets the Thunder out this year it will be a miracle. If VZW wants to release this thing by the holidays, they need to have a final product begining testing now. They dont.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

If RIM is hoping the Thunder is going to be "The Next Big Thingxxx8482;", then they better get it in gear! No one (no one rational anyway) believes this will be an iPhone killer, but it can still be big. The iPhone has shown what interest a slick touch screen device can garner, and no doubt RIM wants a piece of this. Maybe I'm naive, but I figure with all the spy pics leaking out the device can't be that far away. They straightened out the wrinkles with the Bold pretty fast, and I'd expect the same level of attention to be paid to the Thunder.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
fractured
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
with all the spy pics leaking out the device can't be that far away.
...to be fair, most, in not all, of those pictures are rendered, not live/actual pictures of the device. That said, if RIM needs to tweak/improve the device before launch and this cause a delay, I'm all for it. I'd rather wait for a better product than deal with one that's not ready for "primetime." Moreover, besides the e-mail capabilities and other core BB features, most people get or at least stick to BB devices because they are stable and reliable. It would therefore not be in RIM best interest to push out a product just to compete with the iPhone or satisfy some our techno lust and then fail miserably in doing so. Certainly even if the device doesn't live up to be an "iPhone killer" (not that it has to be, but come on, who are they really gunning for?) RIM won't tank, but with high expectations come (possibly) high disappointment and given the high stakes RIM can't afford to disappoint. I say take the time if they need it.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
PKIronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
Poorly worded on my part, I wasn't referring to Boy Genius himself. I was referring to the content of the quotes/post. I agree wholeheartedly that the CrackBerry post was a bit sugary.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Without the carrier relationship and push RIM has little more than nothing. So Verizon does have a lot of say. With Apple and say AT&T there is an equal amount of dog/tail wagging each other. With RIM and Verizon and ~Thunder~, it's not clear RIM can afford to let this slip too much further or Verizon will push their various LG/Samsung/etc. devices harder.
I guess you didn't understand me, so let me say it again. If RIM can't the device working then it doesn't matter when Verizon wants the device to launch, PERIOD.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I, for one, didn't think that the 3G iPhone wouldl be a BB killer. Apple got most of its converts last year and will get the dregs this year who have to have 3G browsing (not many) and the peeps who can now afford one at $200. If the Thunder can be released by early October on VZN that will pretty much stop the iPhone in its tracks right there. Better phone (possibly), better network (surely), done. If Apple had a heads up on the Thunder's release date that could be why they dropped their price so much. Sell 'em now, don't wait. There's a reason they dropped the price of the iPhone 60% and it isn't because they were happy with things last year. And it wasn't to give all of us an early Christmas present either.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 07-09-2008 at 02:50 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #15
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
I, for one, didn't think that the 3G iPhone wouldl be a BB killer. Apple got most of its converts last year and will get the dregs this year who have to have 3G browsing (not many) and the peeps who can now afford one at $200. If the Thunder can be released by early October on VZN that will pretty much stop the iPhone in its tracks right there. Better phone (possibly), better network (surely), done. If Apple had a heads up on the Thunder's release date that could be why they dropped their price so much. Sell 'em now, don't wait. There's a reason they dropped the price of the iPhone 60% and it isn't because they were happy with things last year. And it wasn't to give all of us an early Christmas present either.
Yeah, that must have surely been the reason.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post

The posts on crackberry were too good to be true. In the real world products that are vastly different from the existing line take serious time to develop. Do you know how long it took Apple to get the iPhone out the door? Something like 2 years IIRC. If RIM gets the Thunder out this year it will be a miracle. If VZW wants to release this thing by the holidays, they need to have a final product begining testing now. They dont.
My guess, based on the progression of the recent phones that RIM has released, is that their touchscreen device will be nothing more than a touchscreen device. I bet it will have very similar functionality to the current blackberries, meaning, it won't be as plagued with bugs as you would expect. But again, thats my guess. What features do you expect it to provide that RIM has not already had development time with, aside from the touchscreen? It seems like the Thunder is really only going to be user interface different from the existing line of products.

Last edited by complexx; 07-09-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #17
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

i think its going to be delayed to december/ january myself i believe the boy genius his info is pretty solid for the most part
Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
PKIronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
If Apple had a heads up on the Thunder's release date that could be why they dropped their price so much.
That's AT&T subsidized pricing, not Apple's imperative.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

the iPhone 2 costs just as much as the iPhone 1 does. Well, if you want messaging it costs even more. $200+ $10/mo * 24 mo = $440. Look at the phone only price of the device, same pricing as the first device.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #20
PKIronMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I guess you didn't understand me, so let me say it again. If RIM can't the device working then it doesn't matter when Verizon wants the device to launch, PERIOD.
I assume you meant "can't get the device working"... I understood you fine. What I'm saying is that Verizon has a _SAY_ in the delivery date. RIM will have to find engineers, outside help, etc. to meet it maybe but they're not just gonna tell VZW to pound sand until RIM is ready.
Closed Thread