jimmypowder
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearomoon View Post
that's true... you guys have to give stormy a try...a longer one... i got mine on monday in germany.. the first day i was happy that i didn't sell my bold... the second day i was still thinking about returning the storm..
now i own the strom for about 5 days, used it and typing now is as fast as with my bold or curve. firmware is still beta and lagging but i think in two or three weeks we'll get a new stable and better "final" firmware and then we can continue our discussion here

I dont believe for a minute that your typing as fast on the storm as with
the curve or bold.Im sorry I played around with typing and I dont see it.

Here's my prediction.This clickable screen will eventually be replaced with a iphone type screen in the future.This typing method is gonna go the way of the dinosaur.

The storm,it seems to me,has been rushed to the stores too early.I suppose to get some christmas sales in.

Last edited by jimmypowder; 11-21-2008 at 03:34 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #22
B~B

Model: 9530
Carrier: Vzw

stopped by verizon and played with a demo unit for about half an hour. first thing i checked was the os and sure enough it was not updated with the newest version. that tempered my expectations with responsiveness and any bugs that might have jumped out.

i've had pretty much every blackberry since the 6230 (except the bold) including all the suretype models, so i entered into the experience with an open mind. first impressions...feels great in hand, form factor is not much different than my curve and didn't feel very heavy, definitely more solid. the screen is excellent. didn't really play around with the multimedia functions much other than look at a few pictures. spent most of the time doing the only thing that matters to most bb users, typing.

i've never used the iphone or any similar touch screen typing device before so maybe i'm not as jaded as those who have. i am a bit surprised by some of the above comments because to me it wasn't that bad at all, granted i've never been one to type novels on my bb. mostly keep it short an sweet, at the most a paragraph or so. however i must admit, i don't think i could be as fast on the storm as i am with buttoned bbs mainly because the touch and click action on the storm requires that you completely lift your finger off the screen between keys. you can't rest your opposite thumb on the keyboard in anticipation of the next letter as that will register as a character selection and mess up what you're trying to do. either way i think typing will become faster over time, but probably won't be as fast as buttoned bbs. i can accept that though, not trying to set any speed records. one thing i did find is that i was able to type faster and more accurately in portrait mode with suretype than i could in landscape mode, although i hadn't used a suretype device since the 8130 a year or so ago. i was pretty fast with that one, probably faster than i am with the full qwerty 8230. the typing experience is NOT a deal breaker for me.

the one thing i did find difficult was editing. didn't spend a lot of time working on that part out though. i'm sure that will also get easier with more use.

all in all i think this will be a great device for those of us who want more multimedia and casual entertainment functionality built into our business device. in my mind this is opposite from the iphone in that it's primarily a multimedia consumer device with very light business capabilities.

having tried it out i'm pretty sure that using this device will become easier and second nature over time. i also expect that bugs will be worked out and it will get better as os updates and new apps are released. after a first hand experience i'm convinced i will get the storm and i WON'T return it.

Last edited by B~B; 11-21-2008 at 03:38 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #23
Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I find this phone much better than the curve and I have only spent about an hour with it so far. Obviously it takes some getting use to but it's well worth the time to do so.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #24
Mikef1182
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario8267 View Post
I have a reccomendation for all of you that are not liking the storm....... BUY A G1 FROM TMOBILE! There, I said it. I had the iphone 3g and was waiting to get the storm for the past couple of months now until I heard all these same complaints a month ago when the phone was initially reviewed. The G1 browser is similar to the iphone and the android os is great. And for those who like the keyboard of the curve will like the g1. I know I know the phone may not look as sleek as the iphone or the storm, although it is a good device. I hope some of you will give it a chance!

Oh, and flash is coming soon to android, real soon! See engadgetmobile for that info!
I second that! The G1 is a fantastic device. I am returning mine only because the signal in NC (old suncom network) is garbage. I just ordered the Storm and I hope I like it as much as my G1.

Check out my blog: Mobile Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #25
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I ordered mine and should be receiving it sometime on Monday. I believe that once RIM get's note of all the bugs and complaints people have about the Storm they will be hard at work to come up with the updates needed to make this phone something that people were initially looking forward to. That is why I plan on holding on to it and will patiently wait for the updates to roll in...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #26
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by user242 View Post
I ordered mine and should be receiving it sometime on Monday. I believe that once RIM get's note of all the bugs and complaints people have about the Storm they will be hard at work to come up with the updates needed to make this phone something that people were initially looking forward to. That is why I plan on holding on to it and will patiently wait for the updates to roll in...
I like your attitude, how much e-mailing to you do?
To me, that is the most important thing

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #27
fearomoon

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypowder View Post

Here's my prediction.This clickable screen will eventually be replaced with a iphone type screen in the future.This typing method is gonna go the way of the dinosaur.

The storm,it seems to me,has been rushed to the stores too early.I suppose to get some christmas sales in.
you can trust me when i say i can type as fast as with my bold... it's just a matter of exercise.
if you don't like it don't buy it. the storm is not the perfect device for everybody. it is an eye candy toy and not as perfect as the bold... but it IS an alternative to the iphone. the only alternative in my opinion
i really like my storm ;)

Quote:

i second that ;)

Last edited by fearomoon; 11-21-2008 at 04:26 PM..
Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
I like your attitude, how much e-mailing to you do?
To me, that is the most important thing
I do a good amount of emailing and texting but I leave the bigger stuff for my work PC or if I'm at home I'll just use my MAC.

I'm not as serious and commited as some hard core BB users are that rely on a button style keyboard. I think I'll do just fine with the Storm especially after they release some updates/bug fixes...
Old 11-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #29
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:

I second that notion! No way any human being is typing as quick on a virtual keyboard, as they would on the real thing. But as some said it all comes down to preference.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

It's my personal opinion that the Storm shouldn't have released today. Now in all honesty, most of this is on Verizon. Verizon's insistence on completely controlling the software and the fact their engineers screwed up big time caused the device to not ship with the best software. Theres no excuse, for the engineers nor Verizon. That said, software is being hammered out as we speak. There should be an update available soon. And expect another fairly soon after that.

A lot of the problems users are experiencing are software related and can/will be fixed. I know it shouldn't come to this, but it is what it is. If you can wait it out and want to, wait it out. If not, take it back and voice your displeasure.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #31
mic_crispy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
I second that notion! No way any human being is typing as quick on a virtual keyboard, as they would on the real thing. But as some said it all comes down to preference.
Yeah i had a friend try to tell me the same thing about his iphone. I saw him type in person and laughed.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #32
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
It's my personal opinion that the Storm shouldn't have released today. Now in all honesty, most of this is on Verizon. Verizon's insistence on completely controlling the software and the fact their engineers screwed up big time caused the device to not ship with the best software. Theres no excuse, for the engineers nor Verizon. That said, software is being hammered out as we speak. There should be an update available soon. And expect another fairly soon after that.

A lot of the problems users are experiencing are software related and can/will be fixed. I know it shouldn't come to this, but it is what it is. If you can wait it out and want to, wait it out. If not, take it back and voice your displeasure.
Jason,

I agree with you that Verizon is largely to blame for the os problems.Didn't they say they were gonna be more open with their devices?
This storm is locked down big time.
The tiresome nature of the typing is not for me .I do alot of business texts and email and I much prefer my pearl even with the sure type.This phone is far inferior to the iphone in its present state.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #33
Buddycuffs

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

You guys all seem to be missing something here. You all complain about bugs and software defects, but RIM can always (and will always) release updates to fix those.

I'm one of the users who is not completely into all of the corporate shit, sending 5 emails a minute or intensively typing on it - so I guess I might see it differently.

My point is though - it's got really incredible HARDWARE, which can't be replaced (unless they do a recall, which is doubtful) and fairly buggy SOFTWARE, which will be replaced.

Just give it a week or two and things should be flowing nicely for the Storm.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #34
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post

I'll give RIM/Verizon at least 30 days if there's no significant improvement in the device and I lose my patience with it I'll go with the Curve since the Bold is not available with Verizon....
Old 11-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #35
jimmypowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddycuffs View Post
You guys all seem to be missing something here. You all complain about bugs and software defects, but RIM can always (and will always) release updates to fix those.

I'm one of the users who is not completely into all of the corporate shit, sending 5 emails a minute or intensively typing on it - so I guess I might see it differently.

My point is though - it's got really incredible HARDWARE, which can't be replaced (unless they do a recall, which is doubtful) and fairly buggy SOFTWARE, which will be replaced.

Just give it a week or two and things should be flowing nicely for the Storm.
I agree with you that this is mostly a software issue with one big exception:the terrible clickable typing hardware.I would not buy this phone for 50 bucks because of this.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #36
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I agree with you that this is mostly a software issue with one big exception:the terrible clickable typing hardware.I would not buy this phone for 50 bucks because of this.
I think the clickable screen is a good concept once RIM perfects it and sends out the upgrade to fix all these issues. Should be pretty sweet once they get it working the way it's supposed to be!

50 bucks!?! I wish....lol
Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #37
mrjerome
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool No

No, I'm not returning my Storm? Are you crazy? Whats up with crazy thoughts like this. I'm so happy with my Storm!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #38
dakis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearomoon View Post
everybody. it is an eye candy toy and not as perfect as the bold... but it IS an alternative to the iphone. the only alternative in my opinion
You should try the Touch HD - I switched to the Touch from an iPhone 3G and will never go back.

Anyway - I'll be taking a very close look at the Storm once it's released here. I would have bought one across the border in Germany but Swisscom's 18$ for 5mb data transfer / month blackberry plans are a massive joke. I'm hoping they'll introduce iphone-like plans once they start selling the Storm

peter
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #39
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
This is how I feel. I'll be holding onto mine as well... when I get it.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #40
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
I have a verizon blackberry pearl and a at&t iphone .I went to the verizon store
today and played around with the storm for 5 minutes.This phone is a piece of junk.

There was noticeable lag navigating from menu to menu.I asked the guy next to me who was sampling another storm if he had the same problem and he did.
My pearl was faster .Tried web surfing,not noticeably faster than the pearl i bought a year ago.The time lag between menus reminded me of the lag that
my son and daughter had with their motorola razr,which they despised.

The email typing is FATIGUING! After 2 minutes of clicking, the guy next
to me agreed that if your going to do alot of typing emails dont buy this phone.
He said he was gonna stick with his curve.

I didnt see any application center so I suppose its not out yet.Why on earth
woulnt throw a few free apps in there .DUMB DUMB DUMB.I did see the Verizon
navigation app which you have to pay 10/monthly for

This phone isn't even close to the iphone and i will stick with my pearl.Hopefully verizon will come out with the bold next year.
Here is my 5 cents. Everyone and there mother was playing with the phone I bet and had about 50 apps open and memory lag. Try it hard boot by yourself and I am sure it will be fine. It isnt built for 200 people playing with and clicking and clicking...Some people dont get technology or software with hardware.
Closed Thread