BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 AM   #41
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

well I'm going to give it a chance ... As I did with the iPhone fro 8 days and the G1 for a day ... To me those 2 were "phones" ... i have been on BB since 72xx ... You know when you had to carry a phone cause you couldn't here on the damn thing ... LOL ... i can't live without my push email which is more important then being able to surf the web ... but i must say RIM would really blow the competition out of the water if they just gave us a browser ... then there would be no competition ... Simple fact ... BB works it always has ... Just give us a browser ... Nothing runs multiple applications like a BB and flows through them as smoothly as BB application switcher ... when i had my iPhone i kept saying "this would be better if it could go in landscape mode" ... let me see if I am correct ... Let's say i am not porting my number over from TMO until I am sure ... I shoot over 3000 texts a month and who knows how many emails so typing is a major factor for me
Old 11-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #42
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreChampagneSir? View Post
It would be helpful to see anyone who gives their impression of the Storm would report what version OS they were using. There are numerous reports of the issues people are reporting here being cured by the OS update to .86.

If you're running on .65 and are basing your comments on that, you're doing everyone a disservice by making a judgment based on flawed logic and software.
Which update are you talking about? There's no update available from the Verizon Blackberry page.
Check the Stickie. I believe there is an update already and I am reading more are coming. Whether this update resolves your issues, we shall see.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #43
Whoooooo-Kid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

the storm suck and im very disappointed
Old 11-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #44
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichum View Post
Well this is upsetting - I have the curve and I just bought the storm. Maybe it'll just go on eBay. Man, I was looking forward to this phone
Good grief!!!! What is important is whether you like it or not, not what others think! Try it, evaluate it and objectively decide if it meets you needs or not!

When you go out for dinner do you ask your companions whether you should like your meal or not!!!????

The opinions of others is important to a lemming but irrelevant to a thinking human!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #45
bwhite1234
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Currently on the fence if I am taking mine back. I am coming from an 8830 and while I like some of the features of the Storm, I travel a good bit and rely heavily on my BB for email. I will give it a few days to see if I can improve my typing, but at the moment leaning towards a trip back to the VZW store.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #46
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakius View Post
well I'm going to give it a chance ... As I did with the iPhone fro 8 days and the G1 for a day ... To me those 2 were "phones" ... i have been on BB since 72xx ... You know when you had to carry a phone cause you couldn't here on the damn thing ... LOL ... i can't live without my push email which is more important then being able to surf the web ... but i must say RIM would really blow the competition out of the water if they just gave us a browser ... then there would be no competition ... Simple fact ... BB works it always has ... Just give us a browser ... Nothing runs multiple applications like a BB and flows through them as smoothly as BB application switcher ... when i had my iPhone i kept saying "this would be better if it could go in landscape mode" ... let me see if I am correct ... Let's say i am not porting my number over from TMO until I am sure ... I shoot over 3000 texts a month and who knows how many emails so typing is a major factor for me

If your shootin out 3000 text messages a month along with countless emails, a Storm is not your best bet!
I'd say go check out the Bold, not the most unbelievable browser, however much improved over previous models.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #47
dac00160

PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default AOL IM on the storm

Can you install AOL IM on the storm. If so, I can scrap beejive and live with that.

Has anyone installed this application [AOL IM] on the Storm???
Old 11-22-2008, 08:52 AM   #48
bwhite1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac00160 View Post
Can you install AOL IM on the storm. If so, I can scrap beejive and live with that.

Has anyone installed this application [AOL IM] on the Storm???
It came preinstalled on mine.

Also...

Windows Live
Yahoo Messenger
Google talk
BB Messenger
Old 11-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #49
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: T-Mobile

Yes unfortunately I am returning mine. Will I come back in 3 months after significant software upgrades and OS changes? Probably not. I will probably wait for the touchscreen and keyboard combination or whatever device they have planned for AT&T. I tried to like this device. Most will say I didn't give it enough time. But I've used so many devices that at this point, you don't really need that much time to determine if a device suits your needs or not. I will either be keeping my bold or doing a 2 line combination of BOLD/curve + iPhone. There are too many features I like about each device that keep me intrigued. Really wanted to like the phone as I just ported from AT&T to go full speed ahead.

- The clickable screen is very tiring on the thumbs/fingers. And it is physically impossible to type rapidly. Even with settings/option adjustments. I would hope to see some way to adjust the sensitivity. Or maybe they might remove it all together and only use the click function for actually opening menu items/icons/etc.

- The hovering is iffy. Sometimes you can drag across items and it highlights each icon/item as you slide your finger across...but then on the main menu you can only press to highlight but not drag your finger. And then you click screen to open.

- No springboard action on scrolling. Almost a dealbreaker when webpages and contacts and other "lists" can be so long.

-The accuracy in the touch is less than optimal..

- The overall logic is still there but from a touch screen perspective missing a couple of things. almost like taking a step backwards. The approach was noble though because upon learning a lot of the shortcuts through tips/tricks I saw where RIM was trying to go with certain things.

The device might suit many non power users. Or it may suit power users looking for more of a fun device but still maintaining the power and efficiency of a blackberry. I know I found that a few years back when I first gave the pearl a shot. It was like everything I could want in a tiny phone. hehe. I wish everyone the best with whatever software updates are to come.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #50
Racerdj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

I had some initial thoughts about returning to my 8830, but after a good night's sleep and a little more time with the Storm this morning......those thoughts are now gone.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #51
bwhite1234

Default Done - Storm going back

After spending the last 35 minutes trying download OTA sametime from RIM's website (yes it took that long to fill in the form required by RIM) only to be informed that the 1.192 Mb OTA download failed because "Requested Entity Too Large", I am done.

While cool looking, it's unusable as a browser where you have to fill in form data (name, address, country, etc) and apparently can't even download RIM OTA s/w (although I could d/l Google Maps OTA).

The browser is really frustrating as it automatically switches into zoom mode and on every page you have to select "Cursor Mode" to select radio buttons or drop down fields, only then being unable to pan the page effectively. If you happen to be walking while you are doing this it randomly switches to portrait mode and now everything is sideways because you are stilling holding it landscape. Oops, now its upside down even though you are clearly holding it in the same position. I guess I turned that corner too fast. I am used browsing to my airline's website to check flight status as I walk through the terminal - can't see that happening with the Storm.

The keyboard sucks and uses too much real estate so that you can only see one line while creating an email. And you can't navigate an email if you want to move up a couple of lines and add a word. The trackball rocks on older BBs for this. Instead you have to backspace over entire words and sentences like I had too on older pre-trackball BBs.

I was originally thinking I would be able to "learn" the new interface and adapt but there are so many major issues that I just don't see how a bug fix could fix make it a usuable device for a business user.

Gotta run, the Vzw store where I bought opens at 10AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #52
curtisnash

Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodaphone

I have been trying to use the Storm for the last five days but its going back today and I am keeping my Curve. No Wi-fi, typing is joke worse than the iphone, the screen is inaccurrate and random. The navigation is bizarre and the browser is v slow. Pity cos I really wanted to like this phone but it is unusable as a BB device. Great to look at though.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #53
jimmypowder

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
Here is my 5 cents. Everyone and there mother was playing with the phone I bet and had about 50 apps open and memory lag. Try it hard boot by yourself and I am sure it will be fine. It isnt built for 200 people playing with and clicking and clicking...Some people dont get technology or software with hardware.

Many Storm reviews are indicating the same lag problemThe lag is even worse than the Motorola Razr phone.Anyone who had that phone with Verizon knows what I'm talking about
Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #54
Tiamegs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Default Try it, and be patient.

Sorry to go long here, but I think the storm is getting more bad criticism then it should. It doesn’t come without flaws, but it does take some “user adjustment”. I have owned a Palm, BB Pearl, and an iphone. I owned the iphone for a very short time, because of its lack of email capabilities. (I use several email accounts, and you have to go into each one individually, unlike the BB which pushes it all together like outlook.) I loved my Pearl, despite the small frustrations I had with the keyboard.

Yesterday when I picked up my Storm, I was worried at first because I was struggling to navigate around the phone, pressing wrong buttons and becoming increasingly frustrated. Throughout the day though, I noticed it was becoming easier and easier to use. You have to "retrain" your brain, because it is different than the other Blackberries. It was similar to switching from the full keypad on my Palm to the suretype keypad on my BB. After a couple days, I was typing quite fast. I have found that to be the same with the Storm. One thing I began picking up on (which is a much nicer feature than the iphone) was how the key lights up first so you know which letter you are pushing before you push it. You avoid having to backspace and make corrections once you get used to it.

Once I finally got everything set up, I decided to try google sync to sync calendar and contacts instead of Markspace Missing Sync (I am a mac user). I learned very quickly that google sync really caused problems. I struggled with lag and other issues, and then I started to have error messages pop up. Last night I finally "wiped" my handheld, including all 3rd party software, and decided to start over. Since I have done that, it has really worked well. The lag is minimal, and no more errors and such. I would compare the lag timing as similar to a "fade-out" when you use powerpoint or a slideshow. It really is not that bad. I also had no problem using missing sync. Everything synced great the first time. (Mac Users: Make sure you reset the sync history before syncing the Storm for first time. Click on "help" and "reset sync history". Also reset your isync history. This is done in isync, under "preferences", "reset sync history".)

Some things I have figured out in my early experience (I am not much of a user guide reader, so sorry if this is in there.):

+ I set one of my right convenience keys for the Virtual Keyboard. There are a couple applications where the keyboard does not automatically come up, or sometimes you want to get rid of it. It is a nice quick option.

+ I was having issues switching from landscape back to portrait mode. If you press and hold the red power button for a couple seconds, it switches back to the home page in portrait mode.

+ In the browser, I love the feature of lightly double tapping (brushing) the screen and it automatically zooms into that part of the web page. (No blue light on this one!)

+I would not recommend downloading 3rd party software at first, until a software update has come out. I know I will be careful, and make sure there are user reviews on 3rd party before I download it. Right now, the phone is so new, there is not a lot of experience out there.

+Visual voicemail is pretty cool. Too bad it costs $2.99/month. Let's criticize Verizon on that one.

If you went out and bought the Storm yesterday, then you are certainly a pioneer, and can be helpful for Blackberry. I am sure they want to know some of the frustrations users have so they can make their product even better. I imagine they will be coming up with a software fix soon, as they have more and more user feedback. But for now I think it is a good phone, and it will only get better. Give it a few days before running back to Verizon to return it.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #55
nuts4bb

Carrier: deutsche telecom,vzw
Default Working on myStorm.

I just want to say for all of you storm haters out there that I am loving mine. I have been a BB user since I got my first 7230 back in 02' I have had virtually every version of the new ones since then and am fairly pleased with my storm so far. Yes, there are a few bugs to work out, the statements about the typing with the screen slowing you down are true, however like anything else it's an adjustment. Remember we all hated "suretype" when it was released. In this case you just can't type the next letter until the screen recoil's, big deal. The .86 version of the software will fix many bugs, including the screen sensitivity (accuracy) and the application load time. I played with the phone on thursday night in the store like everyone else and wasn't convinced that I wanted one. However after purchasing my new one and taking it home and playing with it for the whole day not just for a limited time in the store, its really growing on me as I adjust to this foreign blackberry. I added some of my favorite apps. to it and as usual they work flawlessly. So for those of you who hate, give it a chance to be great, don't hate because its different.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #56
dac00160

What Apps did you load that worked great ...
Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #57
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

OTA software update in two weeks will fix lag and accelerometer problems, guaranteed
Old 11-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #58
oldsb42

Just got out of the Verizonwireless store. My observation is that Storm
did not meet the market expectation, and it is not ready for either consumer market or enterprise market.

User experience
- The touch screen is sluggish and hard to pin point accurately unless
u move slowly. Miss type or click can happen relatively easily. There is
no help to confirm what u type just before click (my thumb blocks the
view of keys). Wish they have the kind of help LG has.
- The click-feel is no tech. It is an LCD panel sitting on springs.
When u press it down (click), the entire LCD moves and feel a bit
shaky.. The gap between the frame and the LCD panel is not properly
designed that it can trap dirt over time.
- Navigation is challenging, largely due to the disappointing touch technology
- Selecting links on a browser is a challenge, and same when trying
to open up a drop down menu to select an item. The screen needs to be
zoomed in so much by the time u can perform actions as wish there are
limited info u can see from the screen. I miss the track wheel and trackball.

- Lock-up: this is a serious problem. The system is sluggish and chokes at time, some times its so serious it looked like a lock-up. Sometimes the screen responded after a minute or so and sometimes it just sit there indefinitely. I had to restart the Storm twice during my 25 min test of it.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #59
Tiamegs
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsb42 View Post
Just got out of the Verizonwireless store. My observation is that Storm
did not meet the market expectation, and it is not ready for either consumer market or enterprise market.

User experience
- The touch screen is sluggish and hard to pin point accurately unless
u move slowly. Miss type or click can happen relatively easily. There is
no help to confirm what u type just before click (my thumb blocks the
view of keys). Wish they have the kind of help LG has.
- The click-feel is no tech. It is an LCD panel sitting on springs.
When u press it down (click), the entire LCD moves and feel a bit
shaky.. The gap between the frame and the LCD panel is not properly
designed that it can trap dirt over time.
- Navigation is challenging, largely due to the disappointing touch technology
- Selecting links on a browser is a challenge, and same when trying
to open up a drop down menu to select an item. The screen needs to be
zoomed in so much by the time u can perform actions as wish there are
limited info u can see from the screen. I miss the track wheel and trackball.

- Lock-up: this is a serious problem. The system is sluggish and chokes at time, some times its so serious it looked like a lock-up. Sometimes the screen responded after a minute or so and sometimes it just sit there indefinitely. I had to restart the Storm twice during my 25 min test of it.
I was having lock-up issues as well yesterday, and for what ever this is worth, I did a wipe on my handheld, including 3rd party software, and set everything back up, and it works a lot better. It has yet to freeze, and the lag has diminished. It was constantly freezing yesterday. I am curious if others have tried this and if it has helped.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #60
oldsb42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
Here is my 5 cents. Everyone and there mother was playing with the phone I bet and had about 50 apps open and memory lag. Try it hard boot by yourself and I am sure it will be fine. It isnt built for 200 people playing with and clicking and clicking...Some people dont get technology or software with hardware.
Hmm... in this case it will be same for other devices in the same store. This device had broken RIM's tradition in its market readiness when release a product to market.
Closed Thread