Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #41
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

The only true way to disable the log is to go into the Java folder and remove the event log .cod.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #42
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

"Hide" does not mean disabled... you can test it yourself...

Hide all events.
Clear the log.
After using the phone for a while, go back into the event log, select "Show All", this will show you all the events which happened while they were hidden.

That said, clearing the event log could help - and that's probably what you're noticing. The memory is likely fragmented with the event log, browsing cache & history, etc. The more fragmented your free memory gets, the laggier your storm will be.

So, it's a good thing to clean these temporary items once in a while. I haven't had to do a battery pull on my storm yet. (I've had it since 11/24). It still is laggy once in a while, and has a mind of it's own... but it isn't enough to make the device useless... which is why I'm not sending it back. I'm sure everyone does different things with their phones, for example I use the auto-shutdown and startup on a daily basis. This helps w/ Battery use and charging. (i'm pretty sure it charges better when the phone is off, but I haven't tested this).
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #43
forumguy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Has anyone tried removing the log.cod file and was the phone more responsive after?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #44
d-m-k

Seems to be making a real difference. I have pulled the battery in the past and do not believe that it is simply a battery pull that is making the storm work faster. I think the absence of logging is doing it.
BB 8310 Curve, BB 8820, BB 8700c
Treo 650, Treo 600
Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #45
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Mark View Post
The only true way to disable the log is to go into the Java folder and remove the event log .cod.
how might one go about doing this?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #46
Byproxy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

just checking again... see above post.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #47
USCG charger

Carrier: Verison
Default downloads

Can some one give me a link to download 4.7.0.90 I have no idea what I'm doing.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #48
andrewknight
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20C9851E
Carrier: vodafone

Wirelessly posted

Seems to me that unchecking the boxes HAS stopped my BB from logging events. I may well be wrong tho, all I know for sure is that my BB IS significantly quicker since this tweak.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #49
muttman

I did a battery pull before I did the steps for the log. It does seem faster. I did the batter pull and then checked my free memory. It was at 28.5. After I cleared the log it went to 31.5 megs free. Even after running Viigo, sending some emails and a text and checking google news it only went to down to 30 megs. I dont know if it's because of the event log, but that's the only thing I changed so i'm inclined to think that's it.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #50
adorkable
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Ask.

I don't know whether or not this made my Storm any faster, but I did a little test to see if hiding all types really does disable the event logging.

I selected "hide all types," cleared the event log, and then I did a few things on the phone like sending text messages and stuff. I then went back into the event log and selected "show all types." If hiding all types really is the same as disabling the event log, then it should have still been empty after changing it back. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Everything was still being logged while all types were hidden.

There is no way to disable the event log. However, if you set the minimum log level to "warning," less will be logged. It's hard to tell, though, whether or not that makes any difference in the speed.

Last edited by adorkable; 02-02-2009 at 06:01 PM..
Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #51
sillydrunk

Default Hidden logs ...

Ok, this has been said, but I will say it again. Selecting "Hide All" DOES NOT DISABLE THE LOG!!!!!! At least not on the Storm that is. It merely filters out all of the logs. For example ... the left and right columns would hold the exact same data:
2 2
5 5

The only difference is that the left column is displaying a complete log file while the right is only displaying the logged events related to particular processes. Naturally, if you hide all of the processes, then the log will appear empty.

Try this if you do not believe me. Follow these steps:

1) go into your event log, use the menu key to get into the options and "Hide All Types". Save the new options.

2) When you save, it will return you to an empty event log. Use the menu key to clear the log, this will delete all the currently logged events. Optionally, you can do a battery pull and skip the following steps, but just clearing the log is much faster.

3) If you just cleared the log, then hit the "lock key" (button on the top left), wait for your storm to lock out, then hit the lock key again to unlock it

4) Now go back into your options, and "Show All Types". Save the options.

5) Now you should be staring at an empty event log. Click the menu button, then "Refresh"

*If you did a battery pull in step 2 then just re-enter the log options, "Show All Types", then save to return to the log. If it is still empty, refresh it.

If you cleared the logs, when you refresh, you will see the log entries related to locking your screen, even though you had the "Hide All types" options enabled. If you did a battery pull, you should see all the entries related to rebooting your device.

For those that are seeing increased performance, it is likely due to the battery pull. You are merely clearing out the garbage in memory when you do that. Hiding the logs is only taking place in the event log ui, however the full log is still present in memory.

I hope this sheds a little light on this topic.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #52
stoneperez

Carrier: verizion wireless

i can't tell the diff. give me a couple of days to run this this...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #53
djice

PIN: Ask me.

So far so good.. thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #54
Alva

Carrier: Rogers

My device seems a little faster and more responsive!

Thanks for the tid bit!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #55
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

in my Java folder, the only file with the word event in it is:

net_rim_event_log_viewer_app.cod

but will deleting this remove the event logging serivce, or just the viewer ? i'm thinking that the event log service is a core feature of the OS and cannot be removed...
Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #56
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

It's total BS! The amount of resources utilized to register an event on the E-log does not noticeably slow down the phone. The speed effect you notice is simply caused by the battery pull. Occasionally you can clear the log but still there will be no dramatic increase in speed. It's a placebo effect.

This is such an OLD topic and about every 30 days some newbie discovers the E-log, how to clear it, does a battery pull, and then posts their "amazing" discovery in this forum.

This is OLD news folks. Old as Moses toes and twice as corny. You discovered what we most BB veterans know. Clearing the logs and battery pulls is just good practice.

Verizon 9530
Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #57
xmiinc

Did this on my old Storm...did it again on my new one. Big difference in responsiveness. Thanks for this info!

BTW...forgot to do a battery pull. I stand by my statement above.

Last edited by xmiinc; 07-26-2009 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: To show XelhaBB that he/she is wrong...at least in this case.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #58
iamajim

Hmmmm-I cleared the log and ran quick pull; does seem a bit faster. Mine was starting to get sluggish, we'll see. I think this is good to do on a regular basis though.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #59
Joeybear23
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

I cleare dthe event log and hit 'hide', and did a batter pull and my Storm is performing WAY FASTERZZ!!! In fact, it no longer has a glare on teh screen either. Plus, it has started to alert me by vibrating when imminent danger is nearby. Also, a lady had a blowout on the highway, and my Storm leaped from my pocket, jack up her car and changed her tire for her. Then it beatme home and made me waffles!!

Tis is teh ROCKZORZZZ!!

/lol
Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #60
ElusiveAura
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 30519FCC

Mmmmmmmmmm waffles
Closed Thread