FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV View Post
First, this seems like it should be in the GPS forum. Anyway...

Verizon "unlocked" GPS on all Blackberrys on 12/1/08. The apps that don't work now are because they need device-specific code updates to talk to the built in GPS. Google Maps would be one of those.
I don't think that is correct. Unless I use my EXTERNAL Bluetooth gps unit, my 8830 using BBmaps as well as other software does not find any satellites. Now, if you upgrade to a new BETA OS, maybe there is limited function for BBmaps.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
Vanderdo

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs down Why???

Quote:
First, this seems like it should be in the GPS forum. Anyway...

Verizon "unlocked" GPS on all Blackberrys on 12/1/08. The apps that don't work now are because they need device-specific code updates to talk to the built in GPS. Google Maps would be one of those.
I really dont like how all the moderators and such always wanna move things to other places... the reason why I use this forum is because I have a BB storm and I like to be able to just click on the Storm link and see all that is releavant, Not search through "beta than you" or "Gps Discussion" and sift through all the posts about peoples Pearls and Curves. If i wanna know about the Storm's new beta releases or if the Storms GPS works on GMM 3.0. makes sense that i should go to the Storms forum folder
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #23
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderdo View Post
I really dont like how all the moderators and such always wanna move things to other places...
ummmmh, I don't see any moderators moving anything. Or always wanting to. Its right here in the Storm section, this thread is specific to the Storm.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I don't think that is correct. Unless I use my EXTERNAL Bluetooth gps unit, my 8830 using BBmaps as well as other software does not find any satellites. Now, if you upgrade to a new BETA OS, maybe there is limited function for BBmaps.
BB Maps worked fine with the GPS on my Pearl with OS 4.5.something - AFTER December 1. And not with "limited function", either. It did not work at all (for showing current location) prior to December 1, 2008.

BB Maps, Trapster, and Weatherbug all work fine with the GPS on my Storm. I suppose you could say that Weatherbug isn't really proof, since it just tells you what city you're in, and that could be done with cell tower triangulation. But, BB Maps and Trapster both show exactly where I am - i.e. with accuracy that cannot be obtained using cell tower triangulation.

If the OS on your 8830 is too old to use the unlocked GPS, that does not mean that the GPS is not unlocked. I can't really speak to GPS functionality as it relates to different versions of the BB OS. Especially on BBs other than the 2 that I have.
Verizon 9550

Last edited by StuartV; 02-04-2009 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #25
StuartV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I have no idea. I do know that the GPS on the Storm is still locked down *for mapping* to BBMaps and paid VZNav.
You "know" that, do you? I *know* that it works fine for mapping with Trapster on my Storm. And I don't even have (and never have had) VZNav (neither paid for, nor even installed).
Verizon 9550
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #26
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Stuart, that is all quite different that "Verizon 'unlocked' GPS on all Blackberrys on 12/1/08."

GPS on all Verizon devices is still locked for mapping purposes to BBMaps and VZNav.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #27
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
You "know" that, do you?
Most everyone, but yourself, seems to know that.

Your mileage may vary, but again, where do you see a source for "Verizon "unlocked" GPS on all Blackberrys on 12/1/08. It just happened on limited applications AND with only OS 4.5 devices.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #28
ctibbsaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

Jsanders, do you know if GM 3.0 will work on the 8320 or is just the storm and bold, I can not find out anywhere. Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #29
StuartV

Quote:
This keeps going round and round, but they unlocked it to BBMaps, with OS 4.5 running.

Show us something that states that, other than some odd post in a forum.
Do your own research. There have been posts here from at least one person running a low-level utility, where they stated that they were able to read the internal GPS. "A low-level" utility meaning, a program that doesn't do anything but read the GPS and tell you a position. But, it's evidence that the GPS could be read by ANY app that used the same programming as that utility.

I never used the GPS on my Pearl for anything but BBMaps (and attempted GMaps). But, I use it for Trapster on my Storm and it works fine. Based on other things I've read, I can see NO evidence to support the statement that Verizon is currently giving the Storm any special treatment in the "unlocked GPS" department. So, it is my belief that the GPS is unlocked for all VZW BBs.

Now, it's possible that, to use it, a VZW BB would have to be on OS 4.5 or later. And it's clearly evident that not all apps have been updated to work correctly with the built-in GPS. But, neither of these things support the statement that the GPS is locked.
Verizon 9550
Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #30
StuartV

Quote:
GPS on all Verizon devices is still locked for mapping purposes to BBMaps and VZNav.
Then how is Trapster working on my Storm? Do I need to post a screen cap for you to believe that it is?
Verizon 9550
Old 02-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #31
StuartV

Quote:
Most everyone, but yourself, seems to know that.
It may be true. BUT, every post that I have personally read that supports that could also be explained as the poster either wasn't on OS 4.5, or they were trying to use Google Maps. You yourself stated that Verizon unlocked it for OS 4.5. And, Google Maps does not have the device-specific code that it needs.

So, the posts that I have seen that concluded that the GPS is still locked don't actually provide data to support that statement.

And, to be clear, I am not saying I have data in hand that PROVES that the GPS is unlocked on other devices than the Storm. I am saying that, in my mind, running Trapster proves that the GPS is not locked on the Storm. And, with the (BBNews, for one, I believe) news reports that came out at the beginning of December that VZW had unlocked the GPS, combined with the fact that BBMaps started working on my Pearl after Dec 1, and the fact that it makes no sense (to me, anyway) that VZW would unlocked the Storm completely, but everything else only partially, PLUS the fact that I have not personally seen any PROOF that non-Storms are still locked (as opposed to needing an updated OS or updated application software), I am stating that it is MY BELIEF that they are all completely unlocked (and people who can't get them to work need either an OS update or updated application software).

Certainly, in the context of this thread (which you have declared to be Storm-specific), I stand by my statement that the GPS IS NOT LOCKED, and the Google Maps just needs to update the application to work correctly with the Storm GPS.
Verizon 9550
Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #32
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Stuart, I am using Google Maps on the 9530 Storm. ok?

On AT&T. Not Verizon. It works using GPS. It is not a Google Maps. It locates me to the 2m mark.

Sheez, you can believe whatever you like, it just doesn't make it true.

Last edited by JSanders; 02-04-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
StuartV

Quote:
that is not GPS then... GPS gets you much better than 30 feet.
Have you USED GPS?? Yes, it CAN get you better than 30 feet. But, depending on the quality of your receiver, atmospheric conditions, line of sight conditions, and how long your receiver has had to obtain a fix, the accuracy can easily be much greater than 30 feet.

OTOH, the best accuracy I've ever seen in Google Maps (using only cell tower triangulation) is something like 1500 meters (i.e. almost a MILE).

If his phone is consistenly navigating him to within 30 feet of his destination, I don't see ANY WAY that is happening via cell tower triangulation and, therefore, MUST be GPS.
Verizon 9550
Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Have it your way fella.

I will go tell my googly maps they can't work because Stuart says their code is bad.

And they have had such fun today sending my Latitude location to my friends.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #35
voyagor

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briman View Post
Without enhanced GPS, my Garmin Mobile still gets me to within 30 feet, or the correct driveway. The GPS on the Storm is just as good as my wife's Garmin Nuvi. Also, I'm sure Weatherbug needs BBmaps installed to use GPS location.
that doesnt seem that accurate. why is my cars nav more accurate than that? it doesnt use cell triangulation like you were stating. well at least i dont think it does
Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #36
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I have a 2 Storms, a Curve and a Pearl in my family, the ONLY thing that works with the GPS is BB Maps and of course VZ Nav. Weatherbug on all 4 BB's and GPS does NOT work on them. Tried Google Maps on all 4 BB's and GPS does NOT work on them. All are on VZW, all running OS 4.5 and above.

******************If anyone can get it to work please let me know how. ******************

Last edited by zerog46; 02-04-2009 at 04:28 PM..
Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #37
ctibbsaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

I hate to get in the way of this pissing contest and yes I Searched and searched and searched and the only thing I can find says "most color screen blackberry's" JSanders you of all people I think would know this, will it work on my 8320???? Simple yes or no would suffice, don't need to know if GPS works yadda yaddda LOL
Old 02-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #38
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctibbsaz View Post
I hate to get in the way of this pissing contest and yes I Searched and searched and searched and the only thing I can find says "most color screen blackberry's" JSanders you of all people I think would know this, will it work on my 8320???? Simple yes or no would suffice, don't need to know if GPS works yadda yaddda LOL
What is all that about?

Will GPS work with your 8320? Yes as long as you go buy a bluethooth GPS dongle and pair the two devices. The 8320 does not have built in GPS, and is NOT on Verizon.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #39
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Just to add to all of this fun, Google Maps has been updated to 3.0.1. Enjoy.

**steps quickly behind Joey**

Last edited by Shaun; 02-04-2009 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Corrected the version number
Old 02-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #40
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Just to add to all of this fun, Google Maps has been updated to 3.01. Enjoy.

**steps quickly behind Joey**
Well that's just great a whole new argument.