Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Noctem
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T / CINGULAR

Please Login to Remove!

of course they wont redesign each os from the ground up.... thats just a waste of time

>.>
Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #22
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 3053D7B3
Carrier: Verizon

blackberry os is blackberry os....they do not have blackberry storm os and blackberry bold os....it is the same OS....they added a layer between the hardware that supports the hardware that is different, but the OS itself is the same...however, there is also a UI layer that abstracts from the OS for device differences such as from the Storm to the Bold...in the case of the 9500 and 9530 it is probably all in the hardware layer that any changes exist...the UI layer is the same...and so is the internal layer..
Old 04-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctem View Post
of course they wont redesign each os from the ground up.... thats just a waste of time

>.>
interesting point...so they are the same OS
Old 04-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #24
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

or at what point do the operating systems differ? and how do they tell them apart?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #25
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

basically the UI is just a theme...the OS is BB OS...and the true firmware is the hardware abstraction layer that is varying from device to device because of the different microprocessors and other hardware components...

even this blackberry forum calls it the same OS...it's called the Research in Motion Operating System...but i think that is a misnomer...it's really BlackBerry although RIM and BB are almost synonymous...

basically, tell me what other mobile operating systems exist besides the following:

Symbian
Windows Mobile
BlackBerry
iPhone
Android

because there is only one version of BB OS that i know of
Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #26
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

just read what this says about smartphones to get a better idea of what they really are:
Smartphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comparison of smartphones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Smartphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #28
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

all useful stuff to learn about why the BB Storm is a computer
Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
Sniperet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSamfield View Post
basically the UI is just a theme...the OS is BB OS...and the true firmware is the hardware abstraction layer that is varying from device to device because of the different microprocessors and other hardware components...

even this blackberry forum calls it the same OS...it's called the Research in Motion Operating System...but i think that is a misnomer...it's really BlackBerry although RIM and BB are almost synonymous...

basically, tell me what other mobile operating systems exist besides the following:

Symbian
Windows Mobile
BlackBerry
iPhone
Android

because there is only one version of BB OS that i know of
Jason I don't know what makes you so certain to the point of being hostile about your opinion but I have to agree with the other posters and say that you are mistaken. Just because RIM named both phones Storm doesn't mean the operating systems are identical, they are not because the hardware is different. Lets take an earlier model BB as an example like the 8800 series you cannot load an 8830 OS onto an 8820 just like you cannot load a 9530 OS onto a 9500. For one the apploader won't load it and if you did get it loaded the phone would not function properly. Yes the OS's are similar and developed along the same lines but they diverge in the radio module code which is the core of the OS.

You are arguing that the OS is Blackberry when RIM uses OS to differentiate the firmware for each device. The problem with your argument is that you told the OP he could load a 9500 OS onto a 9530 and as you were told and disagreed with you can't do that.

Last edited by Sniperet; 04-05-2009 at 07:44 PM..
Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #30
Sniperet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1300 View Post
Hey what's good BB people???
I have a question that I will like to know right away!!! Which software is the best for the STORM .109 , .113 , .114, or .161 I read many threads that people say one is good and the other one is good so I don't know which is the best and What's the website that I can go for download this Software???? Also there is any website that we can get free themes for Storm???
The first answer you got is probably the best answer. Personally I like .113 beta which is much better than the official .75 release. On my phone it is stable, faster and much more user friendly than .75. The latest rumors are that Verizon is going to release .113 as official. The highest number beta leaked to the general public is .114 but the build number for .113 indicate it is a newer version than .114 and .114 has many reported problems.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #31
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dr. Dobb's | Smartphone Operating Systems: A Developer's Perspective | March 30, 2009

A View from the Top: A System-Level Blog » Virtual Platform Myths

The Mobile POV: A Question of Mobile OS Congestion

Welcome to IEEE Xplore 2.0: Specification and Design Aspects of the Academic Researcher's Assistant (ARA) Software for Mobile Devices

Mobile OS Fragmentation: Better or Worse? | iPhone Developer's Journal

http://viewer.media.bitpipe.com/1159...ows_Mobile.pdf

Mobile Operating Systems

Engadget's Full Comparison of iPhone3.0 to Other Mobile OS

Dr. Dobb's | Smartphone Operating Systems: A Developer's Perspective | March 30, 2009

The Symbian OS Architecture Source Book

Digital Library

List of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Choosing an Enterprisexxx45;Class Wireless Operating System: A Comparison of Blackberryxxx44; iPhone and Windows Mobile White Paper - Whatis.com Solutions Directory

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Subscribers - Get The Facts

The RIM BlackBerry Serial Protocol (old protocol, but i bet it is still being used in some updated form or fashion)

http://www.rh-law.com/ediscovery/Blackberry.pdf

http://www.tml.tkk.fi/Opinnot/Tik-11...rs/kettula.pdf

J2ME Polish: Documentation

Computer Forensics - Forums - General Discussion - Commercial Software - Mobile phone analysis

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/ni...istir-7250.pdf

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/ni...2/sp800-72.pdf

Blackberry Forensics - Forensics Wiki
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #32
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:

Welcome to IEEE Xplore 2.0: Specification and Design Aspects of the Academic Researcher's Assistant (ARA) Software for Mobile Devices

Mobile Operating Systems

Digital Library

Choosing an Enterprise-Class Wireless Operating System: A Comparison of Blackberry, iPhone and Windows Mobile White Paper - Whatis.com Solutions Directory

The RIM BlackBerry Serial Protocol (old protocol, but i bet it is still being used in some updated form or fashion)

Computer Forensics - Forums - General Discussion - Commercial Software - Mobile phone analysis

Please do not double-post. This is not appropriate forum etiquette.

BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - View Single Post - Blackberry forensic research
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #33
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
blackberry os is blackberry os....they do not have blackberry storm os and blackberry bold os....it is the same OS....
Could you please prove this by loading the Storm's OS on the Bold and vice versa? If not, please stop posting this nonsense.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #34
arche3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

Quote:

Mobile Operating Systems

Digital Library

Choosing an Enterprise-Class Wireless Operating System: A Comparison of Blackberry, iPhone and Windows Mobile White Paper - Whatis.com Solutions Directory

you are arguing semantics of language. not real life use of the device. In the real world I cannot load a bb bold os no matter what the firmware number on my bb storm. because it is not made for the storm. does not matter where the base os differs between the bold and storm. In all real aspects of use it is a different os. I also cannot load a gsm storm os on my cdma storm. because in the real world the cdma storm won't let me load it. Because it is functionally different from a gsm storm.

Why are you even arguing this?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #35
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

Jason,
Really, Please listen to the words you've been given from some of the top and most reputable providors to this forum, the O/S's are different, fact.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #36
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperet View Post
You are arguing that the OS is Blackberry when RIM uses OS to differentiate the firmware for each device. The problem with your argument is that you told the OP he could load a 9500 OS onto a 9530 and as you were told and disagreed with you can't do that.
The terms OS, firmware, and platform are getting thrown around way to easily.

The OS is the same, but the interface between the hardware and the OS is different per device. This is what is normally referred to as firmware in most computing environments, but also can include device drivers. In the case of the BlackBerry OS, RIM is choosing the specific components for each particular device such as the "device drivers" to allow the phone to work on that hardware, but the underlying OS is the same. The UI is also being cherry picked per device because some devices support the touch screen and others do not. The UI itself is very malleable because this is how themes are worked into the OS. By cherry picking what gets added or not to the latest version of their OS, RIM is making sure that the amount of space used by their OS is minimal.

With respect to the 9530 and 9500 model differences, the underlying OS is the same and the UI should also be the same, but the device drivers that connect the abstracted layer of the OS to the actual hardware are varying because of the hardware components of the CDMA and GSM networks. This appears to be occurring at the device selection stage of the OS upgrade/install. Even though the hardware is different and the hardware layer is different on the actual phones themselves, the underlying OS is the same and both hardware layers exist but are chosen per device to minimize storage space of all the driver programs for each hardware model. RIM only makes one operating system that is referred to as the RIM or BlackBerry OS, or the RIM or BlackBerry platform and there is no reason that they would want to waste precious application memory on each device with the device driver programs for other devices.

The question that should be focused upon is what the different version numbers indicate. There are four key numbers that distinguish each device's corresponding software. There is the number referred to as the "OS version" number by everyone on almost all threads on all forums, blogs, and websites, however, this naming might be incorrectly perpetuated. There is also a platform, cryptographic kernel, and branding version number. The cryptographic kernel appears to be the device's encryption kernel while the platform and OS number refer to other components of the software and firmware. I compared the version numbers for both the 9530 and 9500 for the same "OS number" release and they are a perfect match. The branding version appears at first glance to indicate the hardware device but some device models have different branding numbers. This could be a way to distinguish product lines of the actual hardware fabrication such as a newer motherboard and microchip or a newer radio antenna etc. Because of the use of the word "branding" it also indicates to me the possibility of it being used by various carriers and other branding level entities that would want to be distinguished from other "brands" for the same model phone, but I found a contradiction on that last idea when I stumbled across someone with friends who have different branding version numbers, but similar carriers and I assumed similar physical locations on their same model of phone.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #37
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Jason, this is a community forum. You have been warned before about your rants. If you want to rant, take it to the Rants and Raves section of this forum where it is welcome. Otherwise, most of what you post is pure threadcrapping, intended to take each and every thread offtopic to your lala land, and I am tired of it.

If you want to come and help out here AND be a part of community, you are welcome.

Quit arguing with every single thing posted here, and I am betting you will find in return that others won't nitpick you.

Do you have questions about that?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #38
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

so other people with 9530's, what is the best performing version of the OS at present? has anybody ran any benchmarks to find out? i have only compared my 9530's 4.7.0.75 to my 7130e using a benchmark program i got a long time ago on my 7130e...

are there enough people out there reading this thread that have 9530's with different OS versions that could run a benchmark to tell if the performance is better or worse per each OS version? could we start such a thread or has anybody already started such a thread?

(besides this old thread that i found: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ts-here-7.html )
Old 04-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #39
arche3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

.113 for verizon storm is much better for me than .75 which came stock on the storm. .113 rotates faster and it has a new text selection copy and paste function that is better than .75

It just seems overall snappier. if that is a correct term for bb. because up until now all bb's were snappy. only with storm do I feel it is not really fast.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #40
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

have you tried to benchmark your 9530? it'd be cool to see a comparison of .113 and .75's side by side

follow that link and get the software and run the benchmark...tell me your numbers and i'll post mine when i get back
Closed Thread