Old 05-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #41
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Please Login to Remove!

SurePress is here to stay: RIM CEO: "SurePress is here to stay"
What does this mean? Hopefully, these guys are right and SurePress has been "redesigned". Maybe RIM got it right this time?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #42
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlok View Post
SurePress is here to stay: RIM CEO: "SurePress is here to stay"
What does this mean? Hopefully, these guys are right and SurePress has been "redesigned". Maybe RIM got it right this time?
Heck, I love the screen on the Storm. I just didn't like all the OS glitches such as memory leaks and rebooting a few times a day. I thought (as did my wife) that typing on the screen was a pleasure and we both had far less typos than typing on a Touch.

I'm still thinking about getting the Storm 2 IF they get the OS right, but NOT if it has an iPhone -style keyboard experience. I love the feedback of the screen. Wouldn't haptics seriously impact battery performance? Seems that the idea of a click screen (presuming the switch doesn't fail) is actually the most elegant solution. Remember the US space program had someone develop the Space Pen that could write in zero gravity? Hmm...the Soviet solution? Use a pencil.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #43
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
Heck, I love the screen on the Storm. I just didn't like all the OS glitches such as memory leaks and rebooting a few times a day. I thought (as did my wife) that typing on the screen was a pleasure and we both had far less typos than typing on a Touch.

I'm still thinking about getting the Storm 2 IF they get the OS right, but NOT if it has an iPhone -style keyboard experience. I love the feedback of the screen. Wouldn't haptics seriously impact battery performance? Seems that the idea of a click screen (presuming the switch doesn't fail) is actually the most elegant solution. Remember the US space program had someone develop the Space Pen that could write in zero gravity? Hmm...the Soviet solution? Use a pencil.
You are right, but it' hard to type near the corners. I don't like that, but I'm sure that with a few tweaks it will work great. And you are also right about typos. It's very hard to make a typo when typing on Storm.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #44
arche3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
You are right, but it' hard to type near the corners. I don't like that, but I'm sure that with a few tweaks it will work great. And you are also right about typos. It's very hard to make a typo when typing on Storm.
I just did the torx 6 screw trick on my storm screen. I just kept messing with it while I clicked the screen. My screen is now the EXACT same click everywhere. center to every corner. Same pressure and response. I adjusted it to be like a regular mouse click in terms of resistance. so a slight pressure will give it a click. I can type so fast now. I was looking for a click free storm2 but now I love the click! I am very glad the click is not going away on the storm2.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #45
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 31394XXX

The adjustment is tricky but the screen definitely feels sweeter.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #46
Cory
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9950
PIN: 30FD6DBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberhagen View Post
Seriously.. FU*K RIM if they release the Storm2 almost 8 months after Storm.. Instead of making the Storm a better device, they go on and produce Storm2? Thats just friggin rude..
The ONLY way RIM could make the Storm a better device was through software upgrades; which I admit, are lacking. In order to make a REALLY better Storm they had to come out with a newer model...fix the click screen problems, the loose buttons on the bottom of the phone, and software. I'm sure that RIM was under great pressure from Verizon (trying to out do AT&T with the newer iPhones) to make it better and make it FAST! Enjoy your Storm and let us Storm wannabees, drool over the Storm2. There will ALWAYS be newer, better models in the electronics field...8 months is a lifetime.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #47
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The ONLY way RIM could make the Storm a better device was through software upgrades; which I admit, are lacking. In order to make a REALLY better Storm they had to come out with a newer model...fix the click screen problems, the loose buttons on the bottom of the phone, and software. I'm sure that RIM was under great pressure from Verizon (trying to out do AT&T with the newer iPhones) to make it better and make it FAST! Enjoy your Storm and let us Storm wannabees, drool over the Storm2. There will ALWAYS be newer, better models in the electronics field...8 months is a lifetime.
and don't forget--this time it will have WiFi!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #48
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

Quote:
From what I've heard, they don't have enough Pre units. Some say they only have 30,000 units. If this is true then RIM and Verizon should not worry about Pre. I think they should worry about the next-gen iPhone if it shows up this summer.
Verizon should be getting the iPhone I believe sometime in 2010 and with Apple's 3rd generation iPhone coming out in July who knows if RIM will ever catch up with the iPhone? The only thing really keeping me from going to AT&T and getting the iPhone is that I want to stay within the Verizon network. I thought the Storm was going to work out better. It would be a great phone if at least the O.S. was perfected as well as the memory leak issue resolved. RIM really should have kept the Storm longer before releasing it to the Verizon and Europe for further research and bug detection.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #49
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by user242 View Post
Verizon should be getting the iPhone I believe sometime in 2010 and with Apple's 3rd generation iPhone coming out in July who knows if RIM will ever catch up with the iPhone? The only thing really keeping me from going to AT&T and getting the iPhone is that I want to stay within the Verizon network. I thought the Storm was going to work out better. It would be a great phone if at least the O.S. was perfected as well as the memory leak issue resolved. RIM really should have kept the Storm longer before releasing it to the Verizon and Europe for further research and bug detection.
Maybe RIM was in a hurry? The 1st gen iPhone was released in 2005 (?) while the first touchscreen BlackBerry was out three years later. That's too much. RIM lost a lot by delaying such cellphones. I think that they should hire a better research team who should let RIM know that the Storm has many issues, and that they need to develop a good touchscreen phone.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #50
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by user242 View Post
I wouldn't go with AT&T/iPHone if the phone was free. That combo has too many dropped/missed calls. I NEVER lose a call on VZN with my LG. Not in 2-1/2 years of using the LG. Before that, with a Kyocera and Star Tac I lost calls constantly. I want RELIABILITY! I may pay more for VZN than Sprint (been thinking about the Pre), but in the end we may very well get the Storm 2 unless I cave to my wife's urging to re-purchase the Storm now.
Closed Thread