ITistic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default Alltel Curve 8330 - GPS not working as described by others

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I've installed TeleNav on my phone by signing up on TeleNav.com and then downloading the app OTA from my device. I run Telenav and just have to let it get as far as the main menu. Once I do that the GPS works with any of the free apps I have installed on the phone. I then exit Telenav and exit the free GPS app I happen to have open. 30 minutes later I try and open the same free GPS app and it cannot lock onto any satellites. I've let it sit in my car for over 15 minutes without it getting a lock. I open Telenav and let it get to the main menu and the free GPS app locks immediately. I'm able to reproduce this consistently.

I've read a bunch of other posts from Alltel users stating that they just had to install Telenav and not use it and that their GPS worked fine with every other free app without ever even opening Telenav ever again. Can somebody help me figure out why mine will not work this way?

I just picked up my curve last week. Got it swapped out from a PPC-6800 that was driving me insane. I'm absolutely in LOVE with the Curve, but the fact that everyone else on Alltel is enjoying the GPS and I can't has been frustrating me .

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
ITistic

I've got some more light to shed on this. Instead of waiting 30 minutes after quitting the free GPS app I decided to do a battery pull. The phone rebooted and the free GPS apps would not work at all anymore. Opened Telenav again, quit, and then they all worked. If I have to continually open Telenav I won't be able to cancel the service, right?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #3
Roll
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I wonder if the Alltel 8330 is set up differently than the Verizon 8330?

I can run Verizon's VZNavigator GPS just fine but no other GPS apps. As an example Google Maps with GPS will only give me a location within 5000 meters.

I've read that Verizon locks out other GPS apps.

So your Alltel 8330 must not have the GPS function locked?

Gary
Old 07-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
ITistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
I wonder if the Alltel 8330 is set up differently than the Verizon 8330?

I can run Verizon's VZNavigator GPS just fine but no other GPS apps. As an example Google Maps with GPS will only give me a location within 5000 meters.

I've read that Verizon locks out other GPS apps.

So your Alltel 8330 must not have the GPS function locked?

Gary
Everybody else who has Alltel has posted that they are able to get the GPS to work forever just be installing Telenav and running it once. I have to run Telenav everytime I want to get a lock onto any satellites which is why I'm frustrated. Apparently Alltel's lock on the GPS isn't nearly as strict as Verizon's.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
Slovak
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 319FC717

Have you checked your permissions to make sure all other apps are allowed out?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
ITistic

I've gone to Options > Security Options > Application Permissions > Edit Permissions for all of the free GPS apps I have on the phone. I've set the permissions as follows:

Connections: Allow
Interactions: Allow
User Data: Allow
Old 07-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alltel does not support the gps service. Here is what you have to do. Go to applications and delete telnav. Go to service books and delete telnav. Then either resend the servicebooks through bis or do an hrt refresh. Then that will bring up the orange telenav icon. click on it and install. It may say that the modules are already there. Over write them. Then it may reboot. after the reboot or batt pull open telenav (now its blue) then agree to the terms of service. It will then say you have to pay 9.99 a month if you want to use it. Close telenav. Open bb maps and enjoy the gps is now unlocked. This technique is posted elsewhere under the 8130 section.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
ITistic

I've done the following:

* I deleted the Telenav application using Options > Advanced Options > Applications > Delete. After completing it requested I restart the device. I let it restart.

* After restarting I went to Options > Advanced Options > Service Book. There was no TeleNav listed here at all. I checked this prior to uninstalling TeleNav and it wasn't there then either.

* I then went to BlackBerry Internet Service, logged into my account, clicked Service Books, and then clicked Send Service Books.

No orange icon for TeleNav ever appears in my Applications. There never was an orange TeleNav icon on my phone when I purchased it brand new and activated it @ an Alltel corporate store either. This is why I went to TeleNav.com to download and install it last time. I don't want to do that again as I'm sure I'll have the same results.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

huh wierd. I would call tech support. Every one I have ever activated after it was registered with the bis has had an orange telenav. You can down load it off of some of the sale shops 2. But I have never had to. It doesnt show up under service books. Even after you resent them?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
ITistic

Yup that's correct. I also did Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Register Now but that didn't do it either. All of the Service Books re-sent for sure because I got a ton of email messages notifying me of the activation immediately following.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM   #11
ITistic

Called Alltel Tech Support. They told me I need to subscribe to TeleNav to unlock the GPS. Which is BS, because I am on the TeleNav 30 day trial right now and it still doesn't work unless I open up TeleNav first.

Maybe since the announcement of the Verizon deal Alltel has been giving out phones that are locked like Verizon's?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

I dont know how your specific problem is working. Here is what I have done for alot of people I have sold the bb's 2. Including myself. I just installed os 4.5 yesterday resetting my service books. I redid the above steps, yesterday, and before it wouldn't work. After I renewed service books and reinstalled the telenav, but did not sign up for the service. bam gps in blackberry maps. So what I would try is to download it through access and try it that way. But every bb that I have hooked up has had the orange telenav symbol on it.
After the initial registration with the BIS. So sorry cant be of more help. You need telenav 2 unlock it.

I have also seen this work.

Stopped in the other day (& honked driving by a few times!) for a question on my ZOOM function not working on my Pearl... your folks hooked me up fine! (thanks!)..

One thing I found out is after installing the Blackberry GPS Tracker - Home tools, this enabled the GPS on the phone, as well as unlocked the tools to use w/Google Maps! (didn't have to install the TeleNav stuff even!)

Now I can see my speed & catch the # of satellites I'm seeing from the Blackberry Maps tools too!

Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
ITistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thackstonns View Post
I dont know how your specific problem is working. Here is what I have done for alot of people I have sold the bb's 2. Including myself. I just installed os 4.5 yesterday resetting my service books. I redid the above steps, yesterday, and before it wouldn't work. After I renewed service books and reinstalled the telenav, but did not sign up for the service. bam gps in blackberry maps. So what I would try is to download it through access and try it that way. But every bb that I have hooked up has had the orange telenav symbol on it.
After the initial registration with the BIS. So sorry cant be of more help. You need telenav 2 unlock it.

I have also seen this work.

Stopped in the other day (& honked driving by a few times!) for a question on my ZOOM function not working on my Pearl... your folks hooked me up fine! (thanks!)..

One thing I found out is after installing the Blackberry GPS Tracker - Home tools, this enabled the GPS on the phone, as well as unlocked the tools to use w/Google Maps! (didn't have to install the TeleNav stuff even!)

Now I can see my speed & catch the # of satellites I'm seeing from the Blackberry Maps tools too!

Thanks again for the help!

I did try the Blackberry GPS Tracker.. It won't lock on satellites either unless I open TeleNav. How exactly do you quit TeleNav after accepting the terms and conditions? The only way I know how to close an app is via Close action on the menu (not available at this point in TeleNav) or by pressing the Back button repeatedly. Pressing the back button seems to accept Alltel's terms, however.

I also do not have Axcess on my phone menu. Is that usually there as well? I just tried downloading TeleNav by going to the BB Browser, Bookmarks, Alltel Blackberry. There is a download link on that page. Following the above procedure as best I can (quitting part I'm still sketchy on) I can't get the GPS to work.

What would cause these items to not be in my menu? Is there a problem with coding on my account possibly? The rep who setup my BB on my account after I got it (previously had an HTC PPC-6800) wasn't too familiar with setting it up I don't think.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #14
ITistic

Well I'm going on vacation tomorrow so I dont think I'm going to mess with the 4.5 beta software. I just wish I could somehow get this fixed. It sux everyone else can get it to work this way and for some reason I can't and my phone seems all jacked up as far as the Telenav and Axcess icons..
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
thackstonns
Thumbs Must Hurt

You do have to accept the terms and conditions while you are in telenav and click on english and accept the telenavs terms and conditions. you will click accept and login. then it says free 30 day trial. 9.99 per month or exit. select exit
Old 07-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
ITistic

Wirelessly posted

You know what's really strange? I'm on the road today and just decide to open Google Maps and it detects the gps and locks onto satellites almost immediately. Opened BB Maps and it worked too. The only difference is that I'm roaming now. VERY strange. Hopefully it'll still work when I get back home. I don't even have TeleNav on here anymore.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #17
ITistic

Well, it no longer worked for the road-trip home or when I got home. Very odd how it worked perfect without TeleNav being on the phone or opened at all on the first leg of our road trip, but not at all on the second leg.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
DwightKeenan

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I just purchased an 8830 from Alltel and the GPS didn't work. I sent in a help ticket to thatm and haven't ehard back yet.

After finding this thread I download GPS Tracker and setup an account.

Now the GPS is turned on. I can't wait to hear what Alltel tells me.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #19
ITistic

Wirelessly posted

So the GPS tracker program enabled the GPS for you?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
DwightKeenan

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Yes, BlackBerry Tracker enabled the GPS on my 8830.

Alltel customer service told me I need to have TeleNav installed and subscribed to in order for the GPS to work. That is crap, but I am glad I found a way around it.
Closed Thread