Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
RXF

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default GMAIL Synchronization with BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Are there any G-Mail users out there who are able to have deletes which are performed within G-mail propogate out to the Blackberry via BIS????

I use ATT BIS and when I called ATT support they indicate that BIS doesn't support this, however, Blackberry support pages
"KB05133 Email reconciliation features for BlackBerry Internet Service"
say

"BlackBerry Internet Service supports full two-way email reconciliation of deletions, both from the BlackBerry smartphone to the mailbox, and from the mailbox to the BlackBerry smartphone."

I have one week left before I'm permantently stuck in a two year contract with AT&T. If another cell provider can do this I'll switch in an instant, but I have no way of knowing who is full of crap on this one!

Please help out a newbie and let me know what is real here .....

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Wirelessly posted

In your mailbox hit the menu key go to options, and check the settings on email reconcilation.

Also is the GMail on your BlackBerry setup as POP or IMAP?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
RXF

Good question and I should have included this. I have IMAP enabled on my Google account (even went as far as disabling POP) and I followed the IMAP setup from Google.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Wirelessly posted

Ok, how about the setting in email reconcilation, make sure it is set to delete on both handheld and server.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #5
RXF

It is set that way. When deletes occur on the Blackberry they update the Google Mail server just fine. The issue is when soemthing is deleted from the Google mail server (via the desktop browser) it never updates the Blackberry.

ATT BIS support says this is a shortcoming of BIS. I found that hard to believe as there were no threads on this site discussing this as being a shortfall of BIS. (I think there would be plenty of *****in' going on)
Blackberry support pages which are included in this post say BIS support bi-directional delete sync, so I'm looking for confirmation in either direction.

If this a short coming of BIS I have to live with it, but I'd like to know for sure. To me it feels like a line of crap I'm getting from AT&T.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
jbs-horn

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXF View Post
Are there any G-Mail users out there who are able to have deletes which are performed within G-mail propogate out to the Blackberry via BIS????

I use ATT BIS and when I called ATT support they indicate that BIS doesn't support this, however, Blackberry support pages
"KB05133 Email reconciliation features for BlackBerry Internet Service"
say

"BlackBerry Internet Service supports full two-way email reconciliation of deletions, both from the BlackBerry smartphone to the mailbox, and from the mailbox to the BlackBerry smartphone."

I have one week left before I'm permantently stuck in a two year contract with AT&T. If another cell provider can do this I'll switch in an instant, but I have no way of knowing who is full of crap on this one!

Please help out a newbie and let me know what is real here .....

Thanks!
AT&T support is wrong. There is two-way reconciliation of deletions. Deletions from gmail to the Blackberry through BIS can take a substantial amount of time to propagate, but if you're patient enough it will happen.

By default BIS will set up an integrated gmail account using gmail's POP server. By following the instructions found on gmail's help site you can set it up using gmail's IMAP server. That will give you one-way BB to gmail reconciliation of read/unread status that POP doesn't support.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
RXF

That is what I figured or I assume everyone would be screaming to high heaven over this on this site and I can't find a single post anywhere.

By substaintial amount of time what do you mean ....

I waited 36 hours the first time and then blasted my BIS setup and tried it again. Same result. Instructions are simple enough and my mail works great, but deletions are never propogated.

Any suggestions on any magic "buzz" words I may need to use in communicating with ATT support on this one ...
Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
jbs-horn

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXF View Post
That is what I figured or I assume everyone would be screaming to high heaven over this on this site and I can't find a single post anywhere.

By substaintial amount of time what do you mean ....

I waited 36 hours the first time and then blasted my BIS setup and tried it again. Same result. Instructions are simple enough and my mail works great, but deletions are never propogated.

Any suggestions on any magic "buzz" words I may need to use in communicating with ATT support on this one ...
Not 36 hours. More like 30 minutes or an hour, but it varies. My experience is only with the IMAP access, not with the standard BIS setup.

Other suggestions include doing a battery pull and resending the service books.

I know of no magic words that will give support people knowledge.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
RXF

lol. Thanks!
I'm training AT&T support while I type this. Verizon Wins!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Acutally IMAP updates from gmail to the BB happen when the next message is received. At least that's been my experience.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
Serpentine009
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted

I have been thru this with my wifes setup. I have VZW and never, and I mean never, experienced a delete from gmail propogate thru to the BB. I have tried every setting and setup. I personally use Yahoo which will give you a two-way sync perfectly. I don't understand why so many gmail users live with this bug. It destroys productivity. I would suggest switching to yahoo, its the closest BIS users can get to BES syncing. Mail is wireless OTA 2way sync, rest of PIM syncs seamlessly thru desktop manager. I can help with the switchover, send me a personal message. The contact fields from gmail don't match yahoo so there is some manual intervention on the initial switch.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Serpentine009
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

So what did you wind up doing??
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
jtsatl

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

I'm having the exact same issue that you are. I'm new to BB and I'm going to go back through the setup I used from Google to make sure I didn't skip something. If you find out the solution, please post. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
Serpentine009
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't think there is a solution. Gmail simply does not have an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine009 View Post
Wirelessly posted
I personally use Yahoo which will give you a two-way sync perfectly. I don't understand why so many gmail users live with this bug. It destroys productivity. I would suggest switching to yahoo, its the closest BIS users can get to BES syncing. Mail is wireless OTA 2way sync, rest of PIM syncs seamlessly thru desktop manager. I can help with the switchover, send me a personal message. The contact fields from gmail don't match yahoo so there is some manual intervention on the initial switch.
Well, IMHO, Gmail is far superior to Yahoo Mail. Not the sync thing. I use the Gmail app and don't have any issues with sync. I use Gmail mainly on my computer in both the browser, but also in Outlook. Conversation view rocks, Yahoo Mail view doesn't. Free IMAP in Gmail can't be beat, not even at $19 a year by Yahoo. Giving those up so that my BlackBerry will sync deletes from the server? Please.

If you are using Yahoo and are happy, that's great. If you are using Gmail and want a better experience on your BlackBerry, get the Gmail app. Same conversation view, access to all of your mail and not just what is on your device, access to your contacts. Full sync of read status, deletes, archiving and sent mail. And multi account support. Free.

Best of all, for me, it isn't Yahoo Mail. 13 spam messages waiting in my Yahoo inbox this morning. I haven't had 13 spam messages hit my Gmail inbox in the nearly 5 years that I have been using it. Talk about a productivity killer. If I were using Yahoo Mail on my BlackBerry there is a waste of time right there.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #16
tbhuang2

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I don't think there is a solution. Gmail simply does not have an effective 2-way read/unread sync solution.
If this solution was ever implemented in the future, it would make my BB experience literally *perfect*. I can't even think of a better update. Sigh... someday, maybe.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I also find using Gmail Apps that mail is sometimes delayed by hours getting to the BB in the first place. Sometimes instant. I have an integrated (not manual/IMAP) setup.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #18
bribears

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
I also find using Gmail Apps that mail is sometimes delayed by hours getting to the BB in the first place. Sometimes instant. I have an integrated (not manual/IMAP) setup.
I haven't had it delay for hours.....minutes, yes. Only part I dislike about the Gmail app is that the HTML links never seem to be active in the emails. Other than that it works great.

I have never had luck with read\deleted Gmails getting pushed to the BB. Tried many different things (setup it on my BB 5 times, pushed service books, etc.). this part seems to be a limitation between Gmail and BB as my other email accounts reconcile fine with IMAP.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
Serpentine009
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
Well, IMHO, Gmail is far superior to Yahoo Mail. Not the sync thing. I use the Gmail app and don't have any issues with sync. I use Gmail mainly on my computer in both the browser, but also in Outlook. Conversation view rocks, Yahoo Mail view doesn't. Free IMAP in Gmail can't be beat, not even at $19 a year by Yahoo. Giving those up so that my BlackBerry will sync deletes from the server? Please.

If you are using Yahoo and are happy, that's great. If you are using Gmail and want a better experience on your BlackBerry, get the Gmail app. Same conversation view, access to all of your mail and not just what is on your device, access to your contacts. Full sync of read status, deletes, archiving and sent mail. And multi account support. Free.

Best of all, for me, it isn't Yahoo Mail. 13 spam messages waiting in my Yahoo inbox this morning. I haven't had 13 spam messages hit my Gmail inbox in the nearly 5 years that I have been using it. Talk about a productivity killer. If I were using Yahoo Mail on my BlackBerry there is a waste of time right there.
What do you do with the rest of your PIM? Does their sync app still have bugs? I come from the corporate Outlook environment where conversation view was not an option. Yahoo is my preference. Google should brand their own BB and integrate their application features into the proprietary messaging program on the BB and limit the BIS to only Gmail accounts. That would truly satisfy a lot of Gmail users.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
What do you do with the rest of your PIM? Does their sync app still have bugs? I come from the corporate Outlook environment where conversation view was not an option. Yahoo is my preference. Google should brand their own BB and integrate their application features into the proprietary messaging program on the BB and limit the BIS to only Gmail accounts. That would truly satisfy a lot of Gmail users.
I use Google Sync for contacts and calendar and I use ReQall and their BB app for tasks and notes. I am not personally having any issues with the Sync app and my 8130, but there are sporadic reports of issues. I have no way at all of knowing if it is a Sync app issue or user issue.

If Yahoo makes you happy then I say God's speed to you. No one solution is right for everyone.

In terms of Google branding their own BB, it's called Android. If it were to come to Verizon I would try one after a few more OS releases.
Closed Thread