BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #1
SuB8HaVeN
New Member

Location: Lutz, FL
Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Default Scrambled e-mails with BES v4.0 and 7290...

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I have quite an issue on my hands here affecting a high-up user. I'm running Blackberry Enterprise Server (full Enterprise Edition) v4.0 that was installed from scratch on a new box running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP1. Everything has been running great with no issues. I was running v3.6 beforehand but our old box couldn't handle the v4.0 requirements, so we deployed the new BB server and migrated the users over to the new one. Both the old v3.6 and v4.0 servers are running, and both have users, but AFAIK they are not linked together or anything. We are using Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2. So far everything has gone great without any hiccups at all, I really love the v4.0.

Just recently one of our users have been running into problems sending e-mails. At random, when he replies to an e-mail sometimes it will send and when the recipient gets the e-mail, it appears to be scrambled. Here is an example e-mail below (e-mails blocked out for privacy):

Old 02-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Location: The Netherlands
Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone

You use Microsoft Exchange 2003 SP2 then you need to upgrade your BES to BES 4 SP3 (and the latest Hotfixes, but at least SP3), then look also if you can upgrade the handheld software to 4.0.2

http://blackberry-links.com/software...-cingular.html

Regards,
Bob
Offline
Old 02-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
SuB8HaVeN
New Member

Location: Lutz, FL
Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Thanks, I'm already on BES v4.0 SP3 (4.0.3 Bundle 9). I tried upgrading to Bundle 17 but I never got an install CD (downloaded it off the Blackberry.com website) and when I try and launch the install file, it extracts the install files to the temp directory. I tried launching setup and then copying the extracted temp files to another location and then using it to install the Bundle 17 hotfix, but it just isn't working out.

Also, the device has the latest 4.0.2 device software installed. It was installed on his old 7290, then when I swapped it out with a new one, I installed it again.

I don't think the issue lies with the Exchange SP2 incompatibility because we have been running SP2 since we deployed our new BES and have had BES v4.0.3 installed from the start.

I talked with RIM and they said that I need to try and delete the user from BES (clear statistics as well), clear the data on the device, and then add the user and set up the device with the latest device software (4.0.2.xxx). I'm going to try this and if it doesn't work then I'll call them back, but they said they really couldn't come up with a solution other than removing and adding the user and reinstalling the device software again.

I think RIM and myself are both at our wit's end on this one. It makes it all the more mysterious that this started happening out of nowhere (we haven't installed any updates on our BES since we deployed it, and haven't upgraded any devices unless necessary), it's only happening with one user (and I've already tried swapping device, reinstalling device software), and it's happening with random recipients and at random times of day. I can't put anything together here...
Offline
Old 02-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Does Pine-App alter outgoing mail?
Offline
Old 02-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
SuB8HaVeN
New Member

Location: Lutz, FL
Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

The Pineapp is our hardware e-mail firewall that only scans incoming and outgoing mail for viruses and spam. It has never jumbled e-mails like this and shouldn't.
Offline
Old 02-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
LeftOVERS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

LeftOVERS's Avatar

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Have you tried using dbclean? One time I was having issues syncing blackberries and RIM sent me that file dbclean.exe. If you would like it let me know and I can send it to you.
Offline
Old 02-24-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
SuB8HaVeN
New Member

Location: Lutz, FL
Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

OK guys, after a few days of endless troubleshooting, I'm almost at the bottom of this issue. Something leads me to believe that the footnote tagged onto our e-mails from our Pineapp hardware firewall (e-mail scanner) is causing the e-mails to become scrambled. Pineapp is working on our boxes to get rid of this footnote, but I was curious if anyone else had an e-mail hardware/software firewall scanner that was attaching footnotes to all the outgoing e-mails. I can't reproduce the errors from our old v3.6 BES server, so it has something to do with our newer BES v4.0.
Offline
Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

You'll want to look at the encoding format of the e-mail. I believe 4.0 was the first version to use UTF-8.
Offline
Old 12-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
bxc@ovum.com
New Member

Model: 7290
Default BBTechGuy is right

I have the same issue. It only happens when users send or reply to certain recipients. BES 4.0 sends messages in UTF-8 format. Some email clients e.g. gmail.com does not support UTF-8.

So far I have found the only option is to control default message format with Exchange by using uuencode as the default.
Offline
Closed Thread